How do you like the new HD Channels

The New HD Programming Good or Bad and which is your favorite so far?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So far I like these, I have been playing with the HDD archiving more... but Recorded the two blocks of HD Videos last night and skimmed thru them today from MHD and watched Storytellers with Coldplay...the video's look pretty good on both my sets. I have caught parts of Mythbusters and some TLC stuff also which were pretty good...

The Science channel has been my favorite "there's nothing on so I'll watch this channel" for a very, very long time! I am very happy about this addition.

I would have liked the TLC addition about a decade ago when TLC actually had programs you could learn from. TLC used to stand for The Learning Channel. Now it stands for Totally Lost Causes! :p

See ya
Tony

With all the new stuff, the "All HD" guide is just too big now. I had to make a new "Hi Def" list with channels that have stuff I'm likely to watch. Science, Discovery and TLC made the new list, along with some of the original HD Pack.

I gotta say I'm pretty happy with them. As was mentioned, some of these channels are great for time when nothing else is on.

One thing I noticed is the new MPEG4 HD channels, with exception of the SD stretch-o-vision programming, look better than the newly converted VOOM MPEG4 ones. For example, World Sport was showing Hard Water (circa 2004) yesterday...and that show used to look much better when it was on VOOM DBS or during the first six-months when they moved to E*; same thing for Rave...the two events I saw on MHD had much better PQ. It's still a little too early and I have viewed too little to say this is a fact, but so far I am not impressed with the VOOM PQ.

As far as the new HD channels...I like Science and my wife likes Animal Planet. Also, it will be nice to watch Hockey on Versus later this year. Overall, I am satified with the new offerings and improvements (not quite happy and not quite unimpressed).

None of the new channels are anything I watch with any regularity, so I put down for unimpressed. Overall, I'm actually happy with the additions, even if they aren't channels that I watch, because I think the more HD the better. Personally, though, I'd rather the bandwidth be given to presenting the rest of the HBO channels in HD. I'd find that much more useful. It seems often the secondary HBO channels have more films I'd like to watch than the main channnel. Hopefully, Dish will figure out a way to add these, too.

I will have to check out What Not to Wear n HD, though.

Fran

I don't get golf or science in my tier, but I am enjoying the rest. My wife is a big AP fan and even she is raving about the HD version now that we get it. We've been watching it a good bit these past couple of days. I wish the providers could sort-out the width issues. Most of the things I'm seeing have the variable black bars on the sides...

One thing I noticed is the new MPEG4 HD channels, with exception of the SD stretch-o-vision programming, look better than the newly converted VOOM MPEG4 ones. For example, World Sport was showing Hard Water (circa 2004) yesterday...and that show used to look much better when it was on VOOM DBS or during the first six-months when they moved to E*; same thing for Rave...the two events I saw on MHD had much better PQ. It's still a little too early and I have viewed too little to say this is a fact, but so far I am not impressed with the VOOM PQ.

As far as the new HD channels...I like Science and my wife likes Animal Planet. Also, it will be nice to watch Hockey on Versus later this year. Overall, I am satified with the new offerings and improvements (not quite happy and not quite unimpressed).

Only six of the 11 Voom channels are now mpeg4 and 1440x1080: Rush HD,HD News,Gallery HD,Ultra HD,Kungfu HD,Gameplay HD! The ones u mentioned above are still mpeg2 and 1280x1080 as of yesterday anyways!

When are they going to convert the rest of the Voom channels to full mpeg 4 and 1440 x 1080? I would think that with Directv getting ready to explode with HD in about a month , they would be clearing off more room off of the existing sats so they compete with more and more hd.

I love that we're getting more HD stuff. With these channels being out there, it will drive the programmers to make more true HD programs. The flip side right now though, is that it's mostly stretch-o-vision. It's better than SD, but still not as good as true HD. I'm happy that they're here, but over-all unimpressed.

When are they going to convert the rest of the Voom channels to full mpeg 4 and 1440 x 1080? I would think that with Directv getting ready to explode with HD in about a month , they would be clearing off more room off of the existing sats so they compete with more and more hd.

Explode? By the time DirecTV gets their 1280x1080 HD channels up on September 15th, Dish will have added even more HD channels. They won't be exploding, they will be catching up!

Should we keep the pressure on for more increases in res after mpeg4 conversion? You betcha! Push it up there Dish!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)