How does D* get away with it?

The quality of the 1080p is a different subject than the OP was calling into question...

Exactly my point in post 16, but that won't stop the videophiles from whining about PQ at every opportunity, touting their allegiance to nothing less than Blu-Ray quality.

Fact it, while they may mislead in the belief of some about HD quality, they should at least not mislead with regards to their competitors capabilities.

When DISH adds a 24/7 non-VOD 1080p channel let us know.

What is the difference between satellite delivered VOD channel and the linear thing DirecTV is offereing? If anything I'd rather have the former, as I don't have to wait for the movie to start again. You are sounding like a DirecTV shill.

I suppose I could just respond, when DirecTV adds a 24/7 non-PPV 1080p channel (which is identical to their VOD 1080p offering) let us know.

What is the difference between satellite delivered VOD channel and the linear thing DirecTV is offereing? If anything I'd rather have the former, as I don't have to wait for the movie to start again. You are sounding like a DirecTV shill.

I suppose I could just respond, when DirecTV adds a 24/7 non-PPV 1080p channel (which is identical to their VOD 1080p offering) let us know.

It allows customers without a HD DVR to be able to view a PPV in 1080p if they want to.

You are sounding like a DISH Fan-Boy.

They don't have a 1080p channel, Directv does, so the advertising is not wrong.

Look, the ad is false because it says they are the only one with "true" 1080p. That says nothing about linear or VOD. Both are true 1080p. One has the advantage of being on demand, the other has the advantage of being available for non-DVR receivers. Bottom line is they are lying about the Dish offering. If they want to say linear PPV 1080p programming, that is fine. Just most people will have no idea what linear means.

Look, I'm not a Dish fanboy. I prefer their product just due to cost and technology. But they are worthy of a lot of criticism. But what I don't like is blatant misrepresentation of the product. That is the biggest reason I am on this board and not the "other" one.

It is all a mute point anyways. There is practically nothing being shot, supplied or broadcasted in 1080p. The only way to see 1080p right now is in PPV and/or VOD. So who cares.

I will be impressed with the first company that supplies a standard channel in 1080p. Anything else and we are just nit picking.

Is it the ad with the Cable company guys sitting around? There is fine print at the end saying the 1080p claims are for PPV

No, this one is with a family, if I remember correctly, and a woman is the one stating "D* is the only one with true1080p".
Ghpr13:)

Last edited:
It is all a mute point anyways. There is practically nothing being shot, supplied or broadcasted in 1080p. The only way to see 1080p right now is in PPV and/or VOD. So who cares.

I will be impressed with the first company that supplies a standard channel in 1080p. Anything else and we are just nit picking.

This is basically what I was getting to... the average Joe (if I may borrow a phrase) will think that D* is the only provider, cable or satellite, that is broadcasting in 1080p.

I agree with tic1145, if anyone ever figures out how to broadcast in 1080p, then they got something...Does anyone here know if Japan broadcast in 1080p, since they have had HDTV for years now?
Ghpr13:)

Last night I was watching WW2 in HD and they had an add that said "Theater Quality picture and sound now on all channels on DirecTV."

If that isn't false adveretising then I dont know what it.

Yeah really I think Direct has some very misleading commercials that are just about as bad as Apples vs PC commercials which can be misleading as well.

really? what 1080p "programming"? Some movies manipulated into inferrior satellite deliver rates is hardly real 1080p and hardly "programming". Its blantant misrepresentation by any provider to say it. IMO The only real 1080p out there comes on a bluRay disc.

Or HD DVD or Vudu or online, etc.

You may not like the bitrates, but the satellite stuff is real 1080p24 just like Blu-Ray. For 1080p30 one has to look at discontinued HD DVD's, homemade from a camera/computer generated or online content.

For REAL 1080p60, one has to generate his/her own content from a camera or a computer.

False Advertising? - The Satellite Dish | Blog on Multichannel News

I think this column by scott shows far worse false advertising

1080p.jpg

The only advantage of 1080p24 is the frame rate matches movie film. Some modern video cameras today now can shoot in 24P as well but these would be the exception rather than the rule on much of the HD programming available. Movies converted from film to video, a different story.
If you want a good 1080p24 channel I would suggest HBO be the one to be #1 in the full time arena. IT is mostly movie film sourced channel and has a history of being first in HD distribution.

Personally, I don't have an issue with 24 FPS vs. 29.97 as the artifacting I get is minimal on 29.97 fps with my conversion equipment. BUT, I do recognize that some Plasmas and LCD HDTV monitors really really suck at frame rate conversion. So, movies are just best displayed in native frame rate to avoid the issues. For me, I find 29.97 acceptable viewing and am concerned more about bit rates on compression and horizontal resolution passed.
IMO, 24 fps is over rated as a format. BUT, it is correct that an argument can be made for that ever so slight strobing effect you get with 24 fps vs. 29.97 and the director's desire for a subtle surreal look people refer to as the "film look"

So much for that, but is the ad false and misleading? As a professional who produces commercials, what ads aren't? The argument deserves a simple 3 letter answer... DUH!

BBC ARABIC

Will there ever be a NASA HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)