How does Dish TV determine when not to record a rerun?

marklyn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 24, 2023
Austin, Tx
So if I have a TV episode already recorded that I'm likely not going to watch for a few months, and the timer is set to record new and reruns... at what point will the Hopper 3 record the show again once I watch it?
Thought I saw somewhere after 28 days, but could use some clarification.
For example I've get a timer set to record all new and reruns of "Jail". I know no new shows are airing since it's not running anymore.
But, when I get around to watching some of the reruns, will they just record again and, if so, after how long since I've watched and deleted an episode?

So if I have a TV episode already recorded that I'm likely not going to watch for a few months, and the timer is set to record new and reruns... at what point will the Hopper 3 record the show again once I watch it?
Thought I saw somewhere after 28 days, but could use some clarification.
For example I've get a timer set to record all new and reruns of "Jail". I know no new shows are airing since it's not running anymore.
But, when I get around to watching some of the reruns, will they just record again and, if so, after how long since I've watched and deleted an episode?
From my personal experience as long as it's currently on your dvr, it will skip that episode but if you delete it then the hopper no longer knows that you've watched it and will record it again. I don't know if it checks the trash or not but if it did then it would be 48 hours before it's totally gone from your dvr.

Reactions: charlesrshell
IMHO, I think it has to do so with the memory or limit of number of events in the Schedule screen. So YMMV. Every timer you have will constantly find any instance of the program and load it into the Schedule and then determain if it is to be recorded or Skipped. So, if you don't have many timers, there are fewer instances of program to be SKIPPED and so the DVR should not record another instance of the repeated episode you recorded for quite some time.

HOWEVER, if you are like me and have like 80 + timers (and this is AFTER I clean-up the list by deleting timers I no longer need), well, it is gonna have a whole lot of programs that it will log to be skipped that will populate to the point that it will quickly reach its limit of events in the Schedule, which removes the oldest data to make room for the latest scheduled recordings while also removing old skipped data for NEW skipped data, and I can tell you that in my case of deleting a re-run episode, it can record that same re-run (or movie) in a matter of a few DAYS.

So, a timer will load EVERY instance of that program or movie and list it in the Schedule--you would have to go to DVR>Schedule and then OPTIONS and select 3 Skipped to see the list of Skipped recordings along with those to be recorded--and all those Skipped recording entries counts towards the limit of the number of to be recorded and skipped recordings in the memory and it will delete the oldest instance to make room for a new instance.

So it all depends upon you exhausting the limit of instances in a month or two or more for very few timers to exhausting the limit of instances in a matter of days, not weeks, if you have a lot of timers, especially if some of those timers are like "Murder She Wrote " or "Dr. Phil" that have MASSIVE number of airings in single day let alone just a WEEK because every instance will purge the oldest entry to make room for the newest entry for ALL your timers. So, even "Murder She Hopes" ALONE--even if SKIPPED--could easily fill up the listed events for all your timers in pretty quick period and you have a re-run episode you got rid last week record again, possibly.

I aint a good at explaining this stuff, but I hope you got the idea. But anyone let me know if I have this wrong. The older ViP DVR worked this way, as well.