How does Galaxy 19 make money?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

perkunas

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Ontario Canada
I don't get this satellite, I just cant see where they make money, most everything is free, what little that gets encrypted is not
prime time stuff. Most of those stations are ethnic and serve such a small market.
I think the big question is the future of this satellite, when it goes down in a couple years, will they even replace it.

I don't get this satellite, I just cant see where they make money, most everything is free, what little that gets encrypted is not prime time stuff. Most of those stations are ethnic and serve such a small market.
I think the big question is the future of this satellite, when it goes down in a couple years, will they even replace it.

:facepalm :wacko: :popcorn

Pssst: Think "brainwashing" or maybe "conversion" would be a more appropriate word for most of the channels on this sat. lol.

P.S. The satellite owners are "making money" hand over fist in uplinking fees, so they will replace the sat when needed.

A lot of those channels are paid for by the home countries. Some of those pay packages/channels are fairly spendy too so whomever does them might be making up for volume by getting the few that want a package to pay big for it.

I think the big Christian channels/ministries to well enough worldwide that they don't have much problem funding their chunk of bandwidth on that bird.

I am sure the satellite itself is making money. The satellite owners don't care if anyone is watching - as long as they get their money.

What I find amazing is that this many loonie religious groups have enough money for this. What a colossal waste of money, time, and bandwidth!

They have phone numbers for people to call in during the preachings and have people donate. I am sure that is one way that they get funding to be on the satellite.

I am surprised that there are not several FTA channels up there that have tv shows, news, movies, etc. at one oribital location and get their funding with commercials or that the religious channels don't put such channels next to theirs on the satellite to attract people to their channels.

The other things that make no sense, why the crappy quality, mepeg1/2 really.... didn't that die out with the dinosaurs. Why not, 4 or even higher, high def. being compressed should take even less bandwidth (not sure you need to go that far). Other ways of making money not thought of 1) International commercials, I'm not going to buy some thing only sold in a given country. Encryption may work, If you sell cards for like 20 bucks a year. Who would bother to scam the system then, on they other hand profits wouldnt be enough to bother with them.

the homesick channels must be raking in money hand over fist.
I never kept track of the commercials per hour rate but it must be equal or higher than we have to endure for our ota channels

The other things that make no sense, why the crappy quality, mepeg1/2 really.... didn't that die out with the dinosaurs. Why not, 4 or even higher, high def. being compressed should take even less bandwidth (not sure you need to go that far)

G19 is the success story of North American direct to home distribution. Realize that most channels on G19 are narrow-casting and not broadcasting. Encryption does not fit their distribution model. They have niche demographics that they serve and not driven by the typical measurements of success. There are an estimated 5 - 7 million viewers of G19. The majority of these viewers are minority groups that are under-served by local media delivery methods and they traditionally have used the services as their primary delivery of entertainment and news.

Broadcasters are drawn to this satellite because of the large installed base. Instead of trying to sell dedicated equipment, distribute equipment, facilitate installs and provide technical support, they simply need to start broadcasting and get the word out that they are available. For most, even doing PR and channel awareness is a challenge! They seem to suffer from the "Field of Dreams" mentality of " Build it and they will come". When viewership doesn't automatically happen most channels fail within the first year.

State run channels are financed by governments to either keep their expats in touch or to distribute their dialog. Commercial stations often include commercials for businesses that cater to the demographic and these channels are often used to distribute the channel to regional cable companies or LPTV sites. Religious channels use the satellite to spread their message to convert and also preach to the choir, but especially provide their programming for free for DTH and cable companies, IPTV, etc. Donations are much better when the programming is free to their donors as the perception is that the viewer is already supporting the ministry when they pay their satellite or cable bill.... NOT!

Most of these broadcasters want as many folks as possible to watch their programming, so they go with the common denominator and legacy equipment, MPEG2. No G19 broadcaster uses MPEG1 for video (and not aware of any MPEG1 on any bird). Broadcasting in MPEG4, H.264, etc. would mean that a very large portion of the G19 viewers would not be able to view with their legacy MPEG2 receivers.

New broadcasters who have a new market demographic and do not care about reaching legacy viewers would benefit from either the bandwidth savings or the increased picture quality, but the majority of G-19 broadcasters just want as many eyes at as low of cost as possible. Broadcasters not wishing to reach legacy viewers would also likely select a different satellite, as the less desirable real estate would cost much less.

Hope this lends some insight into the typical G19 broadcasters.....

Last edited:
Wonder if Al Jazeera knows about this ? :rolleyes:

I'm sure Al Jaz knows, but more to the point the cable companies know. That's presumably why they forced the scrambling.

I don't think Al Jazeera has a problem with FTA. Back home in the UK, it's on nationwide OTA 24x7.

Just to add some of my own 97W commentary -- from my understanding and channel guide compiling, most of the Persian language channels are not from Iran, but are expatriate U.S. or U.K. channels that criticize the current regime there. Even the Shi'ite cleric Sheikh Hassan Allahyari with his four Ahl-e-Bait channels (at the moment) is against the Islamic Revolution of Iran. Each of those channels has its own unique approach to the criticism demonstrated through its programming! Rang-a-Rang shows cartoons, photos, and video clips with narration while other channels show films that were banned, or sell Persian carpets at the end of the main programming day! Religious TV? I'm not a huge fan of it, but I have found some interesting programs before on some of the Christian channels, including cooking shows and films (I didn't realize how big 7th Day Adventists were on vegetarianism, for example). I have also learned a little bit about Islam and Buddhism -- although I admit it's rare I stop on those channels. Some of the programming on the national channels have made me curious to learn a little Turkish (and who knows, maybe Arabic, Persian, or Hungarian next?) It's nice to be able to brush up on French, Italian, Russian, and Romanian without wasting money on more books and CDs, too. I like my 125W PBS and my 97W Multicultural satellites best of all for channel watching (when I'm not feed hunting). It's great to have such a variety of free stuff anywhere in North America :)

And hopefully AJE will come back one day...but I really enjoy Al Etejah English at the moment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)