How does PTAT record so much on one tuner?

eman1777

Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
My apologies if this has been answered somewhere else. I am having a hard time searching for the answer.

I am curious if anyone can explain how PTAT manages to record so many channels on a single tuner. Is it applying extra compression to those channels? Why is this possible only with the prime time channels and not some other grouping of channels?

Because they are all on the same sat and transponder. Other channels probably don't have it because dish hasn't grouped the other channels this way and haven't decided to offer ptat type recording on other channels.

Good question, one I've wondered about as well. I think it puts a hit on the Hopper somewhere, I occasionally get audio & video breakup while watching one of the PTAT channels live while recordings are active. When it occurs the work-around is to use the red button to "join" the broadcast which works 100%. When you do this you are actually watching recorded content and runs about 45 seconds or so behind the live feed which "fixes" the breakups (once past the part that caused you to join) which is also recorded. I've had this on 2 different Hoppers and while a nuisance when it happens, not a deal breaker for me. I've seen a very few posts from others experiencing this so it's not widespread & support is clueless about the problem or a real fix.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

Think of it as single recordings actually throwing away most of the transponder signal, and PTAT using more of the signal.

As far as I know, I've seen reruns and it appears to record the full block. These recordings also delete themselves after x amount of days. If you save the ptat series the maybe those reruns or duplicates are purged. I've never paid enough attention to that.

If you set up timers for PTAT events, then those recordings will appear in MY Recordings and will be saved when other PTAT events from that day are erased which you can set for up to 8 days. You can set timers just like other satellite programs, and record only new events if that is what you want. I think that when you record a series, it defaults to New + Reruns. You can edit your timer to New only which is what I do. I will note that my Hopper is not 100% reliable in saving PTAT programs--sometimes it saves the wrong program.

PTAT just records whatever is broadcast on the BIG 4 even if they are re-runs. As mentioned in a previous post you have to set a Series Time for "Only New" and save it in My folders.

If you note, the hopper will use a single tuner for other channels as well as long as the two channels being recorded are on the same transponder. If you press the red button while watching a channel, you can see the other channels that you could record at the same time if you wished.

OK, so in a nut shell, if I turn on PTAT it will record re-runs as well as new broadcasts? Like this week I'm seeing re-runs of many shows like NCIS etc on NBC,CBS,ABC and FOX. If this is the case then I'm unimpressed with this lack of ability found on older DVR's from Dish. Almost negates the benefits of the PTAT concept, especially during the summer months.

IMHO, PTAT is the greatest thing since sliced bread - if you don't want or need it, use conventional timers. What in the world difference does it make that PTAT records all content?

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

PTAT records a block of time. Period. It's there for you to pick and choose from.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

OK, so in a nut shell, if I turn on PTAT it will record re-runs as well as new broadcasts? Like this week I'm seeing re-runs of many shows like NCIS etc on NBC,CBS,ABC and FOX. If this is the case then I'm unimpressed with this lack of ability found on older DVR's from Dish. Almost negates the benefits of the PTAT concept, especially during the summer months.

Set timers for "Only New" as I suggested in my earlier post. That's how its intended to work.

If this is the case then I'm unimpressed with this lack of ability found on older DVR's from Dish. Almost negates the benefits of the PTAT concept, especially during the summer months.
You're not grasping the concept of PTAT. Multiple people have explained how it works/what it does. The "PT" stands for "Prime Time". It's not "ONEPTAT".

No such thing with PTAT.

You can set a "Save Series" timer for any event that is part of the PTAT stream. "Only New is the default choice. The show is saved in MY Folders. You can set the timer right from the PTAT folder by right clicking on the show you want to save r rfrom the guide. I have numerous timers set this way.

Though on the other side, I know PTAT has introduced me to shows that I may have not give a chance to watch others have mentioned t as well by it being there already recorded especially in the summer, I have like a few more shows

You can set a "Save Series" timer for any event that is part of the PTAT stream. "Only New is the default choice. The show is saved in MY Folders. You can set the timer right from the PTAT folder by right clicking on the show you want to save r rfrom the guide. I have numerous timers set this way.
What do you mean by right clicking on the show you want to save from the guide?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts