How does the Genie work?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RocketFoot

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2005
Southwestern PA
Curious as to how the Genie system works? Does the signal travel to and from the mini's both ways via coax cable or do the mini's run on wireless internet? Basically, how do the mini's communicate with the HR44?

Curious as to how the Genie system works? Does the signal travel to and from the mini's both ways via coax cable or do the mini's run on wireless internet? Basically, how do the mini's communicate with the HR44?

Actually, its Both, depending on the Client you have, the Wireless Clients are just starting to come out.

Both ways over the coax.
Think of the Genie and the Mini's as a wired computer network. The Genie (HR44) is the Server and the Mini's are Clients.
The Clients get all their TV signals from the Main Genie. This is why if the Main Genie goes down the Clients wont work, even though they are still connected to the satellite.
It's also interesting to note that the clients dont use up any tuners (or channels) on the SWM. So a Genie, 3 clients and an HR24 would only use 7 SWM channels (5 for the Genie and 2 for the HR24).
Clients DO however, use tuners on the Main Genie. So if 2 Clients are turned on (actually turned on, not just plugged in), then the Genie will only have 3 tuners available for watching TV/Recording shows etc.

The Client/Server relationship is why when you get a "Searching for Servers" message on one (or more) Mini's (Clients), you usually have to reset the Genie (HR44 or HR34) to fix it and not the Mini(s).

As a side note: With the new wireless clients, the wireless video bridge converts the signal from coax to wireless. It is not through your router (if you have one). It's on a separate frequency range.
Other than the wireless conversion, it works exactly the same. Both ways from the Genie to the Client. Genie is the Server, C41W is the Client.

As a side note: With the new wireless clients, the wireless video bridge converts the signal from coax to wireless. It is not through your router (if you have one). It's on a separate frequency range.
Other than the wireless conversion, it works exactly the same. Both ways from the Genie to the Client. Genie is the Server, C41W is the Client.
The only question with that Mesh network, have they fixed the problem that they were having with the C41W? I know that we are getting more appliances in the home, such as the Nest equipment that is a Mesh network also, between the thermostats and their new Nest Protect equipment. What frequency does the C41W run on, if anyone knows that yet.

The only question with that Mesh network, have they fixed the problem that they were having with the C41W? I know that we are getting more appliances in the home, such as the Nest equipment that is a Mesh network also, between the thermostats and their new Nest Protect equipment. What frequency does the C41W run on, if anyone knows that yet.

It uses the 5GHz band. It's not really a MESH network, it is just a regular network with the hard wired ethernet connection between the Genie and the C41 being replaced by wireless. So I am not sure what problem you are referring to.

It uses the 5GHz band. It's not really a MESH network, it is just a regular network with the hard wired ethernet connection between the Genie and the C41 being replaced by wireless. So I am not sure what problem you are referring to.
If they are not using the regular home wifi network, the Genie system is using what is called a "Mesh" network. The wired Ethernet is only to allow the Deca or HR44 to be able to go onto the Internet, not for the operation of the boxes to communicate together on their own Mesh Network. Suggest you read up on what a Mesh Network is.

As for the problem, they were having issues with the c41w and HR44 having wifi dropouts during lab testing, because of software issues.

Even with the 5ghz band, that in itself is starting to get a little crowded, now that you are getting more and more people using dual-band routers & access points, then just 2.4ghz. Even worse is when you are around a Military base, or airport, you tend to see a lot of band interference near those areas, so in turn you have issues with any type of wireless equipment.

The wifi drop you're referring to was isolated to the HR44-200 only, no other models. And the problem and solution has been found and will he corrected via a software download that hasn't an eta on a release yet

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

No, it is NOT a mesh network. All paths in the Genie system are point-to-point, the main characteristic of a mesh network is that there are multiple paths between devices and they do not exist in a Genie network. From any one client, there is only a single path to its associated server.
You need to stop posting about things you don't really understand.

No, it is NOT a mesh network. All paths in the Genie system are point-to-point, the main characteristic of a mesh network is that there are multiple paths between devices and they do not exist in a Genie network. From any one client, there is only a single path to its associated server.
You need to stop posting about things you don't really understand.

You are incorrect TexasBrit. I understand how Mesh Networks work better than you do. You are totally off on how they work, so again suggest you do your research. The Genie with Wireless clients, works as a "Mesh" network. That is because it is independent of any other wireless network in the premise. What that means is that the HR44 and C41W work together as their own network, without hitting or using existing equipment for your personal LAN. The only time they use the existing LAN, is to allow the main unit to have access to the Internet for stuff like downloading OnDemand programming, YouTube, Pandora, the TV apps.

Again, suggest you do your homework, before calling people liars.

Sorry, you are wrong again. The Genie Client network is a classic star network, where there are multiple devices (the clients) each connected in a star configuration to a central server. Being independent of other networks does not in any way make it a mesh architecture. As you would expect from its name, a mesh network looks a bit like the mesh in a fishing net, where nodes (knots) are connected to other knots so there are multiple paths from a node to other nodes.

Look at the diagrams here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_topology if you don't believe me.

Sorry, you are wrong again. The Genie Client network is a classic star network, where there are multiple devices (the clients) each connected in a star configuration to a central server. Being independent of other networks does not in any way make it a mesh architecture. As you would expect from its name, a mesh network looks a bit like the mesh in a fishing net, where nodes (knots) are connected to other knots so there are multiple paths from a node to other nodes.

Look at the diagrams here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_topology if you don't believe me.
May want to recheck your facts again TexasBrit. Again, the HR44 with the C41W is a "Mesh" network. I am sorry that we are not as smart as you, but you again need to really recheck your info, before thinking what I am stating is false, when it is how the setup works. End of story.

I don't need to recheck my info. You are just plain wrong.

I'm probably gonna regret jumping into this.. But your both talking about network topologies. In this case Texasbrit is correct.
The network connections dont hop from point to point, they go directly from the server to the client.
Remember that when you talk topologies, the actual hardware doesn't matter, isn't more of of a visualization of how things work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)