How dynamic are transponders

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AmyGrendel

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I was wondering how dynamic are the transponders on satellites. What I mean is I have DVBDream looking for channels on G11 and I have noticed it searching for transponders like.. 12005 V 3979, 12005 H 3979.

Can any given transponder be set to any frequency range (Ka or Ku) and polarity? I know the symbol rate can change.

Amy.

The list that it is searching from is probably old/outdated/edited a few times/patched up/etc. This is fairly commonplace with any software like this. Just because it says it is V or H doesn't make it so. The V or H is just another record in the database.

I suppose a satellite is just like a ham radio. Capable of transmitting on any frequency within a given range.

I was figuring as much. My other half is a "Ham" :) So any one transponder can be HV or RL depending on what ever they want. So if they phase the antennas they can have all four at anytime on a giving transponder.. I think this is what happens. I know Tim plays with 2meter/440 yagis and can phase them together to get a left handed or a right handed signal.

In case anyone is wondering, I not into amateur radio, but he sure wants me to be. But after many fielddays, helping put antennas around the house and late night contests, I know I could pass the exam easily.. just anit going to give him the satisfaction of converting me. :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

4:2:0 Hd

Finally Made it to FTA!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)