How far can I "move" my service?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You are not MOVING and you do NOT EVER tell them about the "cheat" (aka what we call "moving") just say you need to change your service address.

That is exactly what I told them....."I need to change my service address and he started in on the Movers connection garbage. I told him I wanted to keep all my old equipment and he kept saying it's free for them to send new equipment and free to install...should I just wait a few days and tell them I already moved and I just need to change the service address...tell them that I already have my equipment set up.

You just tell them you have moved to your "vacation house" temporarily with all existing dish(s) & equipment & that you need to change your service address to it. That's it!

You are in trouble now, they are going to actually go to the address you gave them to install a dish. Mover's connection means you bring the receivers, they install a new dish.

You need to call and back out. Explain that there is already a 5 lnb Slimline dish there, installed, and working. You hooked your receiver to it and it works.

Hope they will cancel the installation work order, because if a tech goes out to a fake address, I would imagine your service would be done.

It was really quite easy.

I never did have them schedule a real move...I cancelled that deal. I did finally succeed in sticking it to my local tv networks though. I "moved" my service and am now enjoying all my favorite network shows in spectacular HD. It really was all just in the verbage...."I need to change my service address" was all I had to say and it was as simple as that. Thanks to all who helped me with this.

Hello everyone! I just joined this forum and this is my first post. I've seen these threads about "moving," both here and over at DBSTalk, and it always has me wondering: What happens if, say, one of your DVRs dies, and you need to get it replaced? Will they ship one to you, or will they insist on rolling a truck? And if you do get them to agree to ship it, will they raise an eyebrow when you tell them you want it sent to your billing address, and not your service address?

Also, when I joined this forum, I read the warnings regarding "no talk about signal theft," -- so I am guessing that "moving" is not considered to be in that category? I would guess that it is kind of a gray area, as you are not really stealing anything -- you're paying full fare, just getting local channels that are not intended for your area. Has anyone ever heard of anyone getting into hot water because of this? In reading these various forums, I've not heard any stories like that.

Just wonderin', as I find this topic to be pretty fascinating.

Actually, YOU would be violating your EULA with DirecTV and by doing so are creating a situation where THEY are actually violation the law.

That's kind of why I'm curious as to why this practice seem to go unchecked. Like the fellow above said, he was able to change his address in a heartbeat, with no questions asked.

You create a situation where they are doing a reasonable job of enforcing the law without going to an extreme of driving out to physically inspect the new address. Believe it or not, their are many reasons (legal ones) where you might have your bills sent to one address only. Maybe the FCC catches on but I don't see them enforcing exorbitant financial burdens on their bottom lines. We don't consider it stealing because it's just locals & they are paying for them. DTV enforces limitations with the FCC by using spotbeams. I would have no problem buying LA, NY & Chicago locals & pay quite a lot to receive them. While the local affiliates would flip out, theirs a logical long-term argument to be made that this could improve the filler in each affiliate.
Competition is always a good thing.

On a side note, I recently added a preamp to my OTA & I must have 4 major cities tuned in now from Wisconsin, Illinois & Indiana. A few more weekends & my local guide should be 4 pages long.

Thanks for the reply. It would seem to me that this is kind of a "don't ask/don't tell" situation. DirecTV doesn't seem to spend much (any?) energy enforcing this, as they are giving a paying customer what they want, at the same time not "knowingly" violating any law as they providing the proper local channels to address the customer supplied. And while it certainly would violate the EULA between the customer and DirecTV, I have yet to hear a story about anyone who has suffered any consequences.

It would be interesting to know how common this. I would think, not very, considering that the spot beam situation precludes people from just picking and choosing from all the available cities. (ie: if you're in Seattle, you can't view Atlanta)

Thanks for the reply. It would seem to me that this is kind of a "don't ask/don't tell" situation. DirecTV doesn't seem to spend much (any?) energy enforcing this, as they are giving a paying customer what they want, at the same time not "knowingly" violating any law as they providing the proper local channels to address the customer supplied. And while it certainly would violate the EULA between the customer and DirecTV, I have yet to hear a story about anyone who has suffered any consequences.
This is partially how DISH Network lost the ability to deliver DNS.

"Moving" has become significantly less popular than it used to be as the Ka spotbeam coverage area is relatively small and "moving" can cause you to lose all HD LIL depending on where you live.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts