How good is the 1000.2?

steve4810

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
I've only had my 622 and 1000.2 for a month or so and have had more than a few signal dropouts. At first they were only on 129 Voom channels but when the installers came back (after I complained) they re-aimed the dish and now 129 is better but now I get dropouts on other channels.

At the time they re-aimed they said the peak for 119 and 129 were at different positions.

Is this true? Could some 1000.2s be less than perfectly or accurately built? Is it possible they haven't plumbed the mast properly?

It's sunny and clear here in San Diego and these are my signal numbers

61 on tp13, 119
45 on tp13, 129
32 on tp13, 110

I didn't do any purposeful picking of the transponders so if anyone can get a better idea how well my dish is doing from different tps let me know and I'll check them and post the results.

The cable run is less than 50 feet but more than 20.

61 on tp13, 119
45 on tp13, 129
32 on tp13, 110

Can you post your readings for TP11 on both 119 and 110? 110 seems to be low but you're saying that you're having problems with 129. 129 is about right.

We also need to know your location. As far as your question, How good is the 1000.2? The dish is pretty good but if your installation is bad you won't get the benefits of having a good dish. 129 in general is really bad in the West Coast and Pacific Northwest so a separate dish is recommended for 129.

33 on tp11, 129
56 on tp11, 119
42 on tp11, 110

I'm 5 miles from the southwest corner of the continential US in San Diego.

The 129 is better because the installers came back and re-aimed to get it better but said they had to let 119 go down because I couldn't have both peaked at the same time.

Is this possible? could there be two different aim points for best signal or do you suspect they haven't plumbed the mount well enough and set skew right?

I point my dish on my travel trailer when ever we go to the desert (a dish500) and I know when I don't take time to get it plumb before I start, I go nuts trying to get 110 and 119 both peaked.

"The 129 is better because the installers came back and re-aimed to get it better but said they had to let 119 go down because I couldn't have both peaked at the same time.

Is this possible? could there be two different aim points for best signal or do you suspect they haven't plumbed the mount well enough and set skew right?"

I think you meant or they meant 110. You can improve the 129 signal by sacrificing the 110 signals. 119 has no problems since it's coming in the middle of the dish.

I'm getting 33 on TP11 too and I'm in the SF Bay Area so your signals look about right. If you're experiencing signal loss, it's probably something else. Bad cable, bad connector, bad diplexer or even a bad DP separator.

I do complain a lot about 129 because of the low signals but I don't experience any loss of signal unless it's raining really hard. 1000.2 gives me around the same signals I was getting with a separate D500 so I don't believe a separate dish will help you.

Like I said, I would call again and tell them that you're experiencing signal loss but when the tech. arrives makes sure he checks the cables, connectors and other components.

I think you meant or they meant 110. You can improve the 129 signal by sacrificing the 110 signals. 119 has no problems since it's coming in the middle of the dish.

Ah ha! I knew they weren't that legit! But I'm sure they said 119.

Like I said, I would call again and tell them that you're experiencing signal loss but when the tech. arrives makes sure he checks the cables, connectors and other components.

Actually the worst dropouts stopped a few days before I posted and even the pixelated screens are dropping off so I'm beginning to think part of the problem was the spring/fall sun angle thingy.

Bottom line for me is I don't have climb the roof to re-do their poor job. I've had my years of rooftop dish aiming since the days when E4 was launched and am glad to hang up my level and wrench and just point the trailer dish which I can do from ground level.

I also guess I'll keep the separate 129 dish solution in the back of my mind in case the 129 signal starts to try my patience again.

Many thanks.

"I also guess I'll keep the separate 129 dish solution in the back of my mind in case the 129 signal starts to try my patience again."

That's always an option, if you go that route get a 24'' or 30'' dish and you will not have any more problems with 129.

"Ah ha! I knew they weren't that legit!"

You cracked me up with that one. :)

BTW, your daughter(or grand daughter) is ACTUALLY as cute as my daughter and grand daughter were at the same age. We are both quite blessed (and I'm not even religious).

BTW, your daughter(or grand daughter) is ACTUALLY as cute as my daughter and grand daughter were at the same age. We are both quite blessed (and I'm not even religious).

Thanks, that's my daughter. The other day a kid neighbor came and rang the door bell asking to play with her, he's 10 yrs. old my daughter is only 6 yrs. old. My wife was making fun of me saying "so it begins". :)

I want to re-visit this problem. I watched an NBC show I recorded earlier this morning (Meet the Press) and there were at least 20 to 30 "glitches" with either sound or picture in the space of one hour.

This, I don't think, I should except. Am I right?

The glitches were pretty minor and most were audio but for a new 1000.2 - 622 install I would think I should demand a little better performance.

I determined that NBC is on a spot beam at tp29, 110. Since I finished watching the show I went to the point dish screen and the signal has been holding at 34 for about 30 minutes for this spot beam.

I am pretty good at dish pointing having done a lot of it on old single lnb dishes then 500 dishs but I don't know whether to just do my own signal peaking or call Dish and complain enough to get the 1000.2 installers back.

I've read the remarks about the other things that could cause the glitches but I suppose those would require installers to check.

Any thoughts?

Should I or the installers just peak 110 for my locals and write off the Voom channels and whatever else is on 129?

"the signal has been holding at 34 for about 30 minutes for this spot beam."

For a spotbeam, that's unaceptable. Have them come and look at it. If they don't fix it, I'd do it myself.

Thanks, I'll call in a few minutes.

What kind of number would be acceptable for this spotbeam and how low should I let them take 129? Remember it was to peak 129 that caused the 110 to go down.

With the new meter, I would say mid 50s or 60s should be good for a spotbeam. That's is the problem with a single dish solution that in order to improve one of the satellite's signal, you have to sacrifice the other one. A second dish for 129 might be a better option for you.

If I were to tune TV1 and TV2 to the same spotbeam station and cover the other feedhorns would my old 30 buck signal meter work for peaking? Of course if I had to get more for 129 I'd use the same type setup only switching the covered feedhorns and tuning MonsterHD on 1 & 2.

I never did know how with more than one feed horn which I was reading with my cheap little meter. It always worked for the 500 when camping but no one ever said that there was a 110 vs 119 problem with those 500s.

I've only had my 622 and 1000.2 for a month or so and have had more than a few signal dropouts. At first they were only on 129 Voom channels but when the installers came back (after I complained) they re-aimed the dish and now 129 is better but now I get dropouts on other channels.

At the time they re-aimed they said the peak for 119 and 129 were at different positions.

Is this true? Could some 1000.2s be less than perfectly or accurately built? Is it possible they haven't plumbed the mast properly?

It's sunny and clear here in San Diego and these are my signal numbers

61 on tp13, 119
45 on tp13, 129
32 on tp13, 110

I didn't do any purposeful picking of the transponders so if anyone can get a better idea how well my dish is doing from different tps let me know and I'll check them and post the results.

The cable run is less than 50 feet but more than 20.
Yer looking ..wait a minute TWO guys showed up to reapeak the dish anhd coudn't figure this out?..Jesus Christ!!!!
The 1000.2 is the replacement for the undersized d-1000...I have put in a few 1000.2's with no issues at all
One thing..If you have a model 322, 625, 622 or 722 the signal meter is modified. This modification on the signal meter makes them read about 30 to 40 clicks lower..For example if the 119 tp 11 signal here was 110 it would read 70-80 after the mod..129 signals tend to be lower still. A good 129 signal here on the 1000.2 or 1000plus is anywhere from 35 to 60 on the modified scale.
Quite frankly, if you have one of the above receivers, your signals should be higher anyway.

33 on tp11, 129
56 on tp11, 119
42 on tp11, 110

I'm 5 miles from the southwest corner of the continential US in San Diego.

The 129 is better because the installers came back and re-aimed to get it better but said they had to let 119 go down because I couldn't have both peaked at the same time.

Is this possible? could there be two different aim points for best signal or do you suspect they haven't plumbed the mount well enough and set skew right?

I point my dish on my travel trailer when ever we go to the desert (a dish500) and I know when I don't take time to get it plumb before I start, I go nuts trying to get 110 and 119 both peaked.

How far from Del Mar?..Do you go there?...

you may have the ability in your are to use the alt sat for hd if it hasnt been moved to 129 totally... if you can use 148 or 61.5 then i would do it .. the signal will be maxed out, but you will need to (and i didnt say this) cover the 129 lnb with elec tape and tag the 61.5/148 into the last port of the 1000.2 lnb(maked "IN") and check switch then you will see 119-110-x-61.5 or 148

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)