How important is the DVR to you as a Voom customer?

Well I voted for I don't care bring on the programing. I would just like to have the option to sit down almost any time of the day and to be able to tune into a program that is interesting. The repeats of the HD programming is what irritates me. So why would I want to record it and watch it yet one more time?????

motorcycle_rider said:
Well I voted for I don't care bring on the programing. I would just like to have the option to sit down almost any time of the day and to be able to tune into a program that is interesting. The repeats of the HD programming is what irritates me. So why would I want to record it and watch it yet one more time?????
That's the whole purpose behind a DVR, record what you want during the times you're not watching, then watch it when YOU want to. :)

I think i phrased it very incorrectly. What I meant was. With all of the repeats what is the point of the DVR. You are bound to hit the program you want to watch frequently. So at this time a DVR would just not make any economical sense to me. So bring on the programming and I will reconsider this at a future time. :)
Better now?

Yeah, better now. But if you haven't ever owned a DVR, you are in for a real treat. No more sitting still for 1 1/2 - 2 hours for a movie to finish. You can go get a fresh beer, make some popcorn, put the dog out to poop, go stop the kids from fighting, answer the door, the phone, chase away a door-to-door salesman and never miss a word.

Today, when I saw the Voom DVR was a 2005 intro, my heart sank. Love my VVV, but need that DVR badly. Did I read on a thread that the delay is due to the MPEG4 upgrade? First the upgrade and then the DVR?

Here is a paste of some comments on MPEG4, the delay in the DVR due to MPEG4 is a question sadly, not an answer.

Forum: The VOOM Forum Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Replies: 80
Sticky: CEDIA-2004: VOOM (Day Two)
Views: 4,784
Posted By Ilya

Whether the MPEG4 upgrade will be mailed to us...

Whether the MPEG4 upgrade will be mailed to us directly or whether installers will be dispatched - not clear yet. But in any case, it's just a PCMCIA card add-on.

As for what "several feel" VOOM...

Forum: The VOOM Forum Yesterday, 09:33 AM
Posted By Ilya

1. New programming: RSN Cleveland was supposed to...

1. New programming: RSN Cleveland was supposed to be launched last Friday but has been delayed again. Should be coming soon. Nothing else has been mentioned.
2. As I already mentioned MPEG4 (and...

Forum: The VOOM Forum 09-13-2004, 10:03 PM
Posted By gutter

Enough with the DVR talk. It's going in circles....

Enough with the DVR talk. It's going in circles. I would like to know what was said about the following as well.

1. New programming
2. MPEG4 or WM9 update (I saw that there was a hint of MPEG4...

Robert Fritsky said:
Did I read on a thread that the delay is due to the MPEG4 upgrade? First the upgrade and then the DVR?
Not necessarily. If the MPEG4 release is delayed, the stand-alone DVR can be released without it. However, if the MPEG4 is released soon enough, the DVR will have to support it. At least, this is how I understand it.

motorcycle_rider said:
I think i phrased it very incorrectly. What I meant was. With all of the repeats what is the point of the DVR. You are bound to hit the program you want to watch frequently. So at this time a DVR would just not make any economical sense to me. So bring on the programming and I will reconsider this at a future time. :)
Better now?

Hmm, I have had VVV since May, I have been wanting to see Red Dragon in HD (very good movie) I haven't because I either missed 15-20 minutes (which I will not start a movie of this type missing that much time) or on too early and the kids are up, or I know I have to go in a few so I don't bother.

So no just because it's VVV doesn't mean they will repeat the same movie/show everyday at precisely one hour difference so that everyone will see it. Also how does OTA repeat?

Looks like only 7% are about to drop Voom because of no DVR, and everyone else is content in waiting until at least end of this year.. that's good.

An HD DVR is important to me. That provides the best options for watching what I want to watch on my own terms. I knew this when I first signed up for Voom, so I bought a DVR that records everything now, but of course cannot record in 1080I. I also wired the dish with siamese cable, so I already have the right configuration for when the DVR comes out. And I'm waiting for Voom to deliver, but would not bail if the DVR was late.

I can wait until the DVR comes out. I have seen cable and other satellite companies coming out with a DVR, but the have little HD channels.

I'm surprised that this forum allows polls to be taken.
129 total votes cast in 7 days doesn't look good for "The Internet's Largest VOOM Forum" stats.

There's 9 people that are history in 7 more days if the PVR is not out, see ya, don't let the dish hit ya in the arse on the way out.

Yes because all registered Voom posters all dropped their panties and ran on here to vote...

Anyhow the most important thing to note is how many people are willing to wait for a while for a quality product. I still think it's important that Voom sales people keep us informed with the status and what's going on. Judging from the video here on SatGuys I'm really looking forward to the DVR.

Well, we have been using a cable HD DVR the past week and we love it...even the wife who generally cares very little about these things. VOOM had better provide their much anticipated DVR sooner than later. Also, after the 6 month cable promo price expires, we agreed that we would look at a single "whole home" provider. VOOM needs to provide an affordable whole home solution - multiple rental and mirror fees make their current pricing model too expensive.

Like a couple others, i am not a VOOM user and won't consider VOOM unless there is a DVR. I won't go w. any provider unless they have a method to record. We got accustomed to time shifting so we can watch when we want AND skip commercials.
Right now all we have is a BEV 6000 for HD. Would upgrade our D* to HD IF they had more of it. Would def. get HD fm. Comcast for their very few HD offerings - but they don't offer an HD DVR here in the Bay Area.

I just have been reading the last week in business pages that VOOM probably won't make it thru 2005 - so i guess that may be off the table. Advantage of Comcast is that you only rent the DVR.

...mike

I compare DVR to cell phones and ATM's. Before you used one and got used to the convenience you didn't realize what you were missing. With DVR commercials are a thing of the past. Hour long shows can be viewed in 42 minutes. 30 second skip is just about the time between plays in a football game. Believe me, once your hooked, you'll never watch TV the same way again! :yes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts