How Important is the STB Front Panel Display?

How Important is the STB Front Panel Alphanumeric Display?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Add an UHF remote to this new receiver and I'll be first in line to buy one.

I love RF remotes as well, but not much demand.

Long distance or non-line-of-sight remote for next model release is more likely to be a smart phone app rather than UHF. Love my Boxee iphone remote! :bow

SatelliteAV said:
I love RF remotes as well, but not much demand.

Long distance or non-line-of-sight remote for next model release is more likely to be a smart phone app rather than UHF. Love my Boxee iphone remote! :bow

Do smart phones have an ir or rf emitter?

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

I really enjoyed the graphics on the Coolsat receivers that showed the signal strength, etc.
The graphics on the OpenBox S9 just don't compare, but offer additional room for longer satellite and channel names.
The 3rd party mod for on-screen graphics on my Philips DVD player allow for 40 character file names.
On the WD media player, if they exceed some reasonable length, they scroll horizontally for you to read 'em.

I would be grateful for a UHF remote, too!
But, I would hope that there is a method to program it so that it only controls one box at a time (in case you have more than one).
If you want to increase multiple-receiver sales, give us two IR choices to the remote!
I used to have two DishNetwork PVRs in the living room, and being able to control both independently was wonderful!

Maybe we could shove an IR LED with a resistor, in the earphone jack? :)

Last edited:

Some Smart phones do have IR emitters. iPhones do not, but a 3rd party showed a new product at CES2011 that added IR output to iPhones and iPads via the earphone/microphone jack.

Smartphone remote control would be via LAN.

SatelliteAV said:
Some Smart phones do have IR emitters. iPhones do not, but a 3rd party showed a new product at CES2011 that added IR output to iPhones and iPads via the earphone/microphone jack.

Smartphone remote control would be via LAN.

Cool! :)

Forget the IR remotes. Go UHF, I'd rather put up with the cross-talk than I would have to get the doggone IR aimed just right to change channels or what-not on my main living room receiver. After experimenting with a lot of STBs with IR only, I really can tell you that it is a pain in the backside because they aren't very reliable. Some systems don't respond if I point the remote directly at the receiver. I have to bounce the signal off a wall or the ceiling. Even then the response is not always great.

I would love to have a box that doesn't make you get up out of your chair and stand in a certain location to change channels. Heck, might as well do away with the remote and go back to the rotary channel switch like an old B&W sylvania from 1969!

I chuckle! :)

Seriously, if you want to make an excellent product, make it right! Period. I would pay MORE for a custom engineered STB if it did all the things I expected and desired before I would pay for a box that "just works nice". Any STB or other piece of electronic equipment that you do not have to struggle with and that is totally user friendly gets my vote and my $!

If I were an engineer and I was going to build a STB for my own use, I would do a LOT of things different than what the current companies are doing today.

That statement may trigger a lot of people to say that I am looking at a "pipe-dream" STB. But, I don't think so. Just design the absolute "top-of-the-line" STB all around with all the stuff that "WE" want and we will buy it.

You Tube feature? I don't need my STB for that, that's what I bought my PC for.

Web Browser? Same thing.

How about BLIND SCAN, dual tuners, editors, PVR options that work in all formats, fast channel changes, easy to read menus, simple setup, easy edits, multiple USB ports, ethernet and WiFi compatibilties..... I could think about this and come up with a LOT more to add. The front panel display is the least of the worries here. But, some sort of indication of what is going on is important. Just keep it simple.

I don't know what a person or designer would do in the case of an AZBox. You need the VFD display to set up your resolution menu in a friendly way. Otherwise you are blind because the menus won't display on the TV screen. You have to utilize the front panel display to set your video parameters properly. Oh sure, you could roll out another cable to a different TV to set it up, but that is a pain.

I bet that most others will agree with me on the subject. The current mfgs don't seem to want to do these things because it costs money. Well, take out the items, the bells and whistles that we don't want, and spend the money on the things we DO want and we will buy the receiver from them more readily.

Personally, I think that they just don't get it (the major STB mfgs that is). They want to put all these bells and whistles into the design that, frankly, I never use. Those little perks up the cost and I don't want them! I don't use them! I want a satellite receiver (STB) that blind scans quick, channels can be edited quick and easily, it can pick up all signals and it works with all my other devices and it has PVR and HDMI cabilities and you can DUMP everything else!

I guess I am really laying this out like a demand, but that is not my intention. What I am trying to say is KISS... Keep It Simple and Straight forward.

Look at what all the members here complain about their STB's, then work backwards to engineer a new STB to elliminate those errors. The errors that other Mfgs are neglecting to address. Learn from their bad examples and create a STB that does what it should for FTA. Forget all the fancy perks like you tube and what nots.

If your STB is made right for these sepcifications, you might have a winner. Maybe a big one at that.

What do you all think? Am I right? Or at least a little bit right?

RADAR

What do you all think? Am I right? Or at least a little bit right?

Valid points, but this poll and comments are about the front panel.

This model will have IR as it's primary control. IR remotes work well if they are constructed with quality components, operate in the right frequencies and have adequate output and reception range. Take the cheap way out and the user becomes a contortionist to operate.

Historically, STB models that I have had involvement in feature development for hobbyists use are the ones that the members continue to recommend.....:D These past units have been strong in features and support for North American users, function correctly, are supported with editors, frequent updates and upgrades. I would expect this model to be be following in their footsteps!

The purpose of this poll is to get a sense of the importance the front panel to a hobbyist customer. Some great observations and suggestions that we will consider when selecting the case and indicators.

Keep placing your votes! I sure that we won't be the only developer or manufacturer to review your comments on the STB front panel.

Last edited:
Brian,

Sorry for straying away from the theme of the FPD.

I have been letting that subject gel in my mind and I guess I would be inclined to lean my vote towards NO FPD and just a few simple (low intensity) LEDs to indicate some of the things from my very first reply post here. Just maybe not as elaborate as I made it out.

I really do like the idea of a blue LED that indicates that the unit is ON (when the LED is ON) and that the unit is in STANDBY (when the LED gradually changes intensity from fully OFF to fully ON). And a red LED to indicate recording in process (flashing when preparing to record). And then maybe a flashing yellow or green (or alternating yellow/green) LED to indicate that the receiver is "busy" doing something (i.e moving the motor, transferring files, updating firmware, scanning a sat, etc.)

Not ever owning a receiver that didn't have a FPD, it's hard for me to imagine being without it. However, except for a few occasions with my AZBox where it is necessary, I can see that much of the information is not necessary because you see the info on the TV screen and thus the FPD is redundant. Due to my current eyesight, I have to get within 3-4 feet of the display to read it, so it is mostly useless for me anyway. But, I can see an LED from far across the room, even a dim one.

RADAR

Valid points, but this poll and comments are about the front panel.
Keep placing your votes! I sure that we won't be the only developer or manufacturer to review your comments on the STB front panel.

And I hope I'm not too late to prevent you ( and your collaborators ) from making a huge strategic error of the marketing variety. :popcorn

I would ignore everybodies posts here ( good points as they all are :D ) and remind you, that in a fairly mature and competitive market like this one, features and bling ( yes I said it... "bling" :rolleyes: ) must not be scrimped on!

The front panel must necessarily have a better bling factor and that means a better display. :coffee

May I suggest that instead of trying to cut corners you come up with a programmable display based on those cheap little 2" color screens common on just about every cell phone out there??? I'd bet nobody thought of that... and they may well be cheaper than custom VFDs and other types of character displays...

Even if all it does is act as a huge clock... its still better than ... insert another name brand here... follow my drift??? :rant:

:wave

Hope this helps.

bling ( yes I said it... "bling" :rolleyes: ) must not be scrimped on! The front panel must necessarily have a better bling factor and that means a better display.

Playing devil's advocate.....
:confused: But isn't the current trend to be understated and simple? Isn't simplicity the NEW Bling? Apple products and any other product with an i attached are a perfect examples.

The front panel display is especially important for an STB that defaults to PAL. It really annoys me not to have this feature on the Azbox Ultra.

The front panel display is especially important for an STB that defaults to PAL. It really annoys me not to have this feature on the Azbox Ultra.

:hatsoff:
North American firmware development and support removes unused functions that are not suited to our market.

I would ignore everybodies posts here. May I suggest that instead of trying to cut corners you come up with a programmable display based on those cheap little 2" color screens common on just about every cell phone out there???

I suggest we ignore your post instead. What are you going to do, sit in front of the receiver and stare at a 2" display when you could be on the sofa watching the same info on a 52" display.

I don't need bling on the front panel, I want bling in the features and performance delivered to the television.

SatelliteAV said:
Playing devil's advocate.....
:confused: But isn't the current trend to be understated and simple? Isn't simplicity the NEW Bling? Apple products and any other product with an i attached are a perfect examples.

If it even remotely resembles or worse yet, ACTS like anything Apple, count me out! :eek:

This page of the thread has provided some great comic relief!
Keep up the good work, everyone! - :D

... think I'll change my nickname to: iLizard ... :eek:

If it even remotely resembles or worse yet, ACTS like anything Apple, count me out! :eek:

LOL!!!!

Sorry, my statement should have read:

Isn't simplicity the NEW Bling? Apple products and any other product with an i attached or running ANDROID OS are a perfect examples. ;)

I never use any of front panel features, except channel or STB status indicator. So I feel, status indicator is helpful, the rest would require some motivation to be used. :) Esthetically front panel is very important. Apple spartan style is not simply spartan, its also extremely artfully executed.

SatelliteAV said:
LOL!!!!

Sorry, my statement should have read:

Isn't simplicity the NEW Bling? Apple products and any other product with an i attached or running ANDROID OS are a perfect examples. ;)

LOL :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)