How is On Demand supposed to work?

Radioguy41

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Lehighton, PA
If I go to "On Demand" and find a show I'd like to watch it says "Free with On Demand" but when I click on it I get a link named "How to subscribe" and it then gives me a QR code to subscribe. If it's free what am I subbing to and why?

The listing shows all 6 seasons as free, every episode. What app would that be?

Looks like "Restored" is available through Discovery+

The "free" shelf is currently undergoing some development as it displays shows with a single episode in "free preview" (usually s1 e1) as "free" for the entire catalogue. This is a known issue and we're working through the best way to fix it without just killing the shelf altogether.

In addition to correcting this shelf, major feature work is underway for improving the on demand menus and offerings, but if anything looks wrong feel free to send me a DM and I can look into it.

even though it's on Magnolia and I subscribe, I'm supposed to sub to D+ for On Demand access? That makes no sense. I think I'm done with attempts at On Demand.

So the assets that are listed in the catalogue may be defaulting to the subscription service and not the one in your programming package. I'll work to get to the bottom of it.

So even though it's on Magnolia and I subscribe, I'm supposed to sub to D+ for On Demand access? That makes no sense. I think I'm done with attempts at On Demand.
I sympathize! Greed has turned streaming platforms into a situation as bad as cable/satellite distribution!

Reactions: ScubaGuy
Thank you.

Do you get different results if you voice/text search the show? It looks like the episode list is blended between discovery+ and Magnolia, so I'm thinking the "free shelf" is just populating discovery+ - but let me know if you still see the message after using search.

Edit: Looks like the most recent season (season 6) is Magnolia and the rest is Discovery+. So you should be able to watch Season 6 for free (but please let me know if thats not working as well).

I will add this to the list of examples of terrible user experience with that "Free" on demand shelf. The work on this shelf is underway, but it will be a while before we see some change.