How is the MPEG4 Locals HD quality

Hell Raiser

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 12, 2004
I am thinking of getting the vip622.

Can anyone tell me how the HD quality is under mpeg4 for local HD channels?
Is it as good as OTA, better, worse, or the same?

Thanks

In Washington DC....

...I've noticed the following:

WTTG-DT (FOX, 720p, 6362): looks great...very close to OTA, no problems noticed.
WJLA-DT (ABC, 720p, 6359): softer that OTA...noticed video/audio problems at times.
WRC-DT (NBC, 1080i, 6351): much softer than OTA...a variety of chronic video/audio problems.
WUSA-DT (CBS, 1080i, 6360): horribly soft PQ...video has trailing effects like you're watching on while on LSD, persistent audio/video/sync problems.

The MPEG-4 encoders are doing a good job with 720p and a piss-poor job with 1080i IMO.

* I think we should make this is sticky and request that everyone identify their location, specific information, and quality or problems noticed in order to help E* troubleshoot and resolve our HD LIL problems. Oh, and perhaps change the title to "MPEG-4 HD LIL QUALITY AND PROBLEMS" or something similar.

Last edited:
I noticed over the past few weeks the Voom HD quality has been getting worse with the 942, what the hell is Dish doing? I swear that my DVD 480P looks better.

Anyone have any insight as to whats going on and if Dish is going to correct this?
Not to long ago the Voom channels looked almost as good as the OTA HD locals I get but now they look worse then 480P.

Hell Raiser said:
I am thinking of getting the vip622.

Can anyone tell me how the HD quality is under mpeg4 for local HD channels?
Is it as good as OTA, better, worse, or the same?

Thanks

Minneapolis HD Locals

CBS, NBC, ABC just a little worse than OTA
FOX much worse than OTA (pixilation.. just looks plain bit-starved)

Here in Denver the HD LIL blows away OTA. Of course that is largely due to the fact that OTA reception here is pathetic.

Softer here in the Philly area as I made an effort to compare last evenings CSI Miami ,which by nature is way over colored, but lends itself well to comparison.

Here is Los Angeles, OTA is definitely better. Plus Dish doesn't carry all the local HD channels.

Another note with the Dish 1000 and using 129, with our recent weather, I've suffered major rain fade in the 129 sat which carries all the local HD. Never had a rain fade problem when I had my 61.5 dish.

riffjim4069 said:

WTTG-DT (FOX, 720p, 6362): looks great...very close to OTA, no problems noticed.
WJLA-DT (ABC, 720p, 6359): softer that OTA...noticed video/audio problems at times.
WRC-DT (NBC, 1080i, 6351): much softer than OTA...a variety of chronic video/audio problems.
WUSA-DT (CBS, 1080i, 6360): horribly soft PQ...video has trailing effects like you're watching on while on LSD, persistent audio/video/sync problems.

Okay, I give up. How do you get to see all of them?

In LA Also

It's really dard to tell the difference between OTA and E* HD LILs, i get both and they look pretty similar, i could say E*'s look a tad softer but hard to tell for sure (and i could be just trying to be negative towards dish and their classic over compression).

I'm using D1000 and a dedicated 300 for 129, and since i've put the dedicated 300 for 129 i haven't had anymore issues, yes it has been raining like a mofo and even worse is the recent wind, neither has effected me. Although, before when i had the 1000 only I had quite a few rain fade issues.

To be fair Dish is missing our Ch 5 KTLA (WB for primetime) KCAL 9 (local (CBS Owned) crappy station that carries laker games, and they still can't broadcast them in HD) and KCOP 13 (which is/was UPN 13 and the've never broadcast anything higher than 480i)

Dish should be carrying our local KCET HD (PBS) and KOCE HD (PBS) they have some decent programming... so i'd say dish is only missing 2.5 HD channels (KTLA only gets credit for .5 a channel as only their WB primetime stuff is HD)

SKrueger said:
Here is Los Angeles, OTA is definitely better. Plus Dish doesn't carry all the local HD channels.

Another note with the Dish 1000 and using 129, with our recent weather, I've suffered major rain fade in the 129 sat which carries all the local HD. Never had a rain fade problem when I had my 61.5 dish.

Last edited:
jimboeau said:
Minneapolis HD Locals

CBS, NBC, ABC just a little worse than OTA
FOX much worse than OTA (pixilation.. just looks plain bit-starved)

I was searchin the site for info about the HD locals for Minneapolis over Dish, seeing how it is next to impossible to record OTA HD shows currently without the timers dissapearing.

I agree that FOX is REALLY, REALLY, REALLY TERRIBLE! It literally looks like a grainy analog picture most of the time. I recorded american Idol on the FOX HD Sat Local feed, incase the OTA Timer didn't work (it didn't) and my friend who has about a 21" TV with rabbit ears said the picture looked bad on my tv! lol

So I'm not sure if there is anything that DISH/Fox can do to improve the picture for us, but its B-A-D!

Following CLOSELY behind FOX, is CBS. The DISH CBS Local HD Feed looks almost as bad as FOX. Infact, it is so bad that I am currently recording all my CBS Shows from CBSHD from New York (also looks bad, but its better)

NBC is not good, but not as bad as fox or CBS.
ABC, I tend to not watch ABC for the most part, but it's prob not very good :)

Kind of off topic, but what is the BEST HD station on Dish? I mean from a technical stand point, what should be the best? From my channel flipping, it seems that HDNEWS (Voom) is better then a lot of them such as CBSHD, and Universal HD. (I was watching Medical Investigation on UHD, and there was a guy running and he was actually distorted while he was running)

Maybe I'm being to fussy with the picture quality, but I have a 60" LCD Projection as my Main HDTV, along with a 42" Plasma, and 32" LCD. I realize that the 60" would show the most distortion when its present, but I can even see it on the 42" and 32".

My first experience with HD was the 60" LCD with a Comcast 6412 HD DVR Box. EVERY HD Channel Comcast had was PERFECT. No distortion what so ever, and the DVR Recorded every show I set it to record, everytime. It seems like Dish has gotten worse since I got the 622 now though, I'm really starting to notice a lot of distortion on the SAT HD feeds.

If they would fix the OTA Timers on the 622, most of my issues would be solved. I wouldn't care how the SAT HD Locals looked, because I would record everything OTA. Hopefully soon.....its getting frusturating..

codee said:
I was searchin the site for info about the HD locals for Minneapolis over Dish, seeing how it is next to impossible to record OTA HD shows currently without the timers dissapearing...

If they would fix the OTA Timers on the 622, most of my issues would be solved. I wouldn't care how the SAT HD Locals looked, because I would record everything OTA. Hopefully soon.....its getting frusturating..
:bow YES!

For the most part, Philadelphia HD LiL's aren't too bad... It seems to vary by both program and channel, as to whether or not I get occasional smearing/ghosting/pixelating/juttering and/or audio dropouts. I just know that my OTA's are much more consistent... rarely do I get artifacts on 'em.

Frankly, the only reason I decided to get LiL's was for EPG data and NBR on my OTA's. I haven't cancelled them yet...

bigoldboy said:
riffjim4069 said:

Okay, I give up. How do you get to see all of them?
Sorry, didn't see your post...you gotta have an MPEG-4 receiver (211, 411, 622) and live in a market wehre Dish is providing HD LIL (HD locals).

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=59960&highlight=dish+lil
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=64857&highlight=LIL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts