How long can I delay signing paper work?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jack Rabbit

Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
CO
I am having a new install here in a few days. I would like to know how long I can delay signing the paper work the installer will have, without p****** him off too much. Thanks.

I would have to guess you would have to sign before he leaves. I am not sure you can delay on that process.

If there's a problem with the installation, DirecTV will fix it. And since the equipment is leased, DirecTV will replace defective units.

Well I dont want to get stuck with bad equipment or a bad install for 2 years, thats why.

TALK everything thru with the installer BEFORE he gets started to know what is going to happen and to talk out anything YOU mat be thinking in advance. If anything is done badly OR not as you expected / talk thru, you will know before he leaves; once you scan thru all the channels and visually check the install, agree and sign the papers. If everything is NOT done correctly then refuse until its done. Get the protection plan; you will be covered if the hardware fails.

Dont stall just to delay for the sake of delaying that would be considered childish.

Personally I would take the attitude of working with the installer to make sure things are done right and the way you want and expect.

Don't come off as fighting against him or defensively taking a stance on what you want...even if that's what you want and rightfully so. 9 times out of 10 the guy doesn't control what gear he has, but he can control how good a job he does. If you know what I mean.

I think most installers are reasonable about things.

I am having a new install here in a few days. I would like to know how long I can delay signing the paper work the installer will have, without p****** him off too much. Thanks.

Why don't you call the cable company or DISH?
You should know how the installation is going to be done including any additional charges before the installation takes place.

Aside from that, my practice as an installer is to put the paperwork on the table after showing the system running but not activated. Any questions at that point? Let us reason together and fix them. Then...here is the acceptance & contract form, Please sign.

I then call Directv and get the equipment activated. The CSR will ask if the contract is signed and the installation is complete. I sign the paper also presenting the completed work for payment. Then WE verify that all the boxes have all the programming you expected.

While the customer, YOU, are on the phone with Directv I go and load my tools....have a sandwich and call a next customer etc. The Directv CSR (Call Center Representative) will ask how the installation went and if there are any questions or problems.

IF you are still screwing around with the CSR about not knowing about the charge for additional boxes or objecting to custom charges or...for some reason the paperwork is not signed.....I cancel the activation, cut the wires on the dish and leave.

I have only had to deal with ...persons....like you a few times in ten years.

Educate yourself about what to expect from the system and familiarize yourself with the Directv product in advance....but if you think you are going to get a free month of HBO by holding up an installer.......get another plan!

Joe

Oh yeah....ask the same question when you place the order.

Last edited:
TALK everything thru with the installer BEFORE he gets started to know what is going to happen and to talk out anything YOU mat be thinking in advance. If anything is done badly OR not as you expected / talk thru, you will know before he leaves; once you scan thru all the channels and visually check the install, agree and sign the papers. If everything is NOT done correctly then refuse until its done. Get the protection plan; you will be covered if the hardware fails.

Dont stall just to delay for the sake of delaying that would be considered childish.

Charper1,

That is what I said but you said it nice. I have danced with these guys before.

Joe

Why don't you call the cable company or DISH?
You should know how the installation is going to be done including any additional charges before the installation takes place.

Aside from that, my practice as an installer is to put the paperwork on the table after showing the system running but not activated. Any questions at that point? Let us reason together and fix them. Then...here is the acceptance & contract form, Please sign.

I then call Directv and get the equipment activated. The CSR will ask if the contract is signed and the installation is complete. I sign the paper also presenting the completed work for payment. Then WE verify that all the boxes have all the programming you expected.

While the customer, YOU, are on the phone with Directv I go and load my tools....have a sandwich and call a next customer etc. The Directv CSR (Call Center Representative) will ask how the installation went and if there are any questions or problems.

IF you are still screwing around with the CSR about not knowing about the charge for additional boxes or objecting to custom charges or...for some reason the paperwork is not signed.....I cancel the activation, cut the wires on the dish and leave.

I have only had to deal with ...persons....like you a few times in ten years.

Educate yourself about what to expect from the system and familiarize yourself with the Directv product in advance....but if you think you are going to get a free month of HBO by holding up an installer.......get another plan!

Joe

Oh yeah....ask the same question when you place the order.

Joe sorry, but not buying it.

1. Even working in retail, you only talk to a CSR to activate if there is something wrong. Working for HSP you have to call your office to activate.

2. D* CSR's have never ever asked me if the paper work was signed, never ever, not once. Like I said, installers almost nver talk to a D* CSR to activate. It's either the IVR or your office.

Personally have never had a customer pull anything like this. Most are plenty happy once they see the channels.

Joe sorry, but not buying it.

1. Even working in retail, you only talk to a CSR to activate if there is something wrong. Working for HSP you have to call your office to activate.

2. D* CSR's have never ever asked me if the paper work was signed, never ever, not once. Like I said, installers almost nver talk to a D* CSR to activate. It's either the IVR or your office.

Personally have never had a customer pull anything like this. Most are plenty happy once they see the channels.

Most are plenty happy once they see the channels!

The fulfillment companies like DSI had a phone interview with the customer...after a long hold....after the system was activated. MASTEC had you activate the system and then call the local office. DirectSatUSA did the activations through Directv and then an off shore call center. Then you had to call the local office to close the job.

You could get old spending your own personal phone time.

During all this mess the customer has plenty of opportunity to communicate any problems. The IVR system worked once in a while. So when a customer tried to hold me hostage for any period beyond reasonable concerns that had been addressed....that ended my participation.

I am not suggesting techs should force customers sign off acceptance when problems exist. But as others have pointed out...there are adequate ways to resolve future problems. Directv even tries to back charge techs if the equipment fails.

Again, this is a forum and we are sharing experiences which may not be common to all.

Joe

Most are plenty happy once they see the channels!

The fulfillment companies like DSI had a phone interview with the customer...after a long hold....after the system was activated. MASTEC had you activate the system and then call the local office. DirectSatUSA did the activations through Directv and then an off shore call center. Then you had to call the local office to close the job.

You could get old spending your own personal phone time.

During all this mess the customer has plenty of opportunity to communicate any problems. The IVR system worked once in a while. So when a customer tried to hold me hostage for any period beyond reasonable concerns that had been addressed....that ended my participation.

I am not suggesting techs should force customers sign off acceptance when problems exist. But as others have pointed out...there are adequate ways to resolve future problems. Directv even tries to back charge techs if the equipment fails.

Again, this is a forum and we are sharing experiences which may not be common to all.

Joe

Well I was going to add, that it may have been common practice a while back. Got tied up in something else. So I figured it was old precedure. Has not been like that since I have worked for an HSP.

Like I said I never have had a problem like this. I guess my walk thru with the customer is satisfactory.

Sorry but I would not sign the paperwork until I saw the system activated and I was getting the channels that I had signed up for. I would never sign if you just had the system up on the traditional Directv customer information channel. There are still to many things that may not work that would be an issue.

Signing the paperwork prior to having the system activated is to risky on the consumers part IMO.

I never did sign any paperwork because the account activation servers were down on the day of my install about 18 months ago. I called and activated the service myself the following day. To this day I still haven't signed anything with DirecTV. I got all my rebates and the correct channels though, so no biggie. :)

I never did sign any paperwork because the account activation servers were down on the day of my install about 18 months ago. I called and activated the service myself the following day. To this day I still haven't signed anything with DirecTV. I got all my rebates and the correct channels though, so no biggie. :)

It is actually like your experience. Those signed work orders and contracts are stored at the installation company office to arrange payment, Some states even allow a cancellation period after all is delivered. Legally (basic law principle) a contract is not consummated until both parties sign the same written document and "considerations" have been exchanged; payment for accepted services.

The paperwork is just back up if there is a problem...like an installer signing the papers and selling the equipment. Someone trying to get additional FREE stuff by refusing to sign the papers is just wasting time. Why waste a lot of time?

First bill paid & all is off and running. Directv will fix problems.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)