How long does it take Dish to pickup a new MUST CARRY

JerseyGuy

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
A VHF TV station (KVNV) is being moved from Ely, NV to Middletown, NJ (in the New York DMA) due to a loophole in FCC rules. It will carry ME-TV and some orginal programming (perhaps news). I believe it will be a must carry station. When will DISH begin carrying it in the New York DMA? It appears that Comcast has added the SD and HD signals as of July 31st

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/73575/metv-picks-up-bigmarket-primary-slots

hard to add a channel not broadcasting yet
Oops, when I saw that Comcast had announced the addition, I thought it was going to start, but it seems as if its being delayed because a Hartford TV station has filed a petition with the FCC because their station is carried in Fairfield County, CT (New York DMA) on the same channel preposed by KVNV.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2014/db0725/DA-14-1029A1.txt

But in general how long does it take DISH to start carrying a must-carry after it starts broadcasting?

Apparently, there are a given number of days after the station begins transmitting for the must-carry provision to take effect.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "must carry" applies to cable, not satellite. If satellite does have must-carry options, the channel in question isn't filing for it for satellite. They specifically mention Cablevision, Time Warner, and Comcast.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Correct, there is no must carry in that sense for satellite. And this one would be complicated. If there is overlap DISH is not required to carry both in the overlap. We had this with two ABC affiliates in Tampa/Sarasota.
In addition the if the channel is eligible for must carry it is they who must declare it. Probably not going to happen with a big four network channel so it will be negotiations unless they want to make sure they get established. Dish does not have to carry it if the channels goes for negotiations. I seem to remember they can only change status every year?

Don't confuse that with "must carry" "carry one carry all" rule. Satellite does not have to carry any locals from a market, but if they carry one they must either except the must carry demand or negotiate (Network choice) with any of the locals.

Channel 21 ..WNYC got dropped for 3 years because they did not file must carry paperwork

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Dish already carries it's sister channel in Delaware

More than likely this one will appear too

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

cool does metv actually broadcast in HD?i wonder if chicago can metv in hd next.that is one cool video i would say also.

Last edited:
I suspect MeTV is a secondary channel in 100% of markets, so if it's in HD, I feel sorry for those who have to watch their main channel bit-starved!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

MeTv in Indy is definitely HD, though the only show currently " converted" is Charlie's Angels. All the other old shows look stellar upconverted. Same goes for Cozi.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)