How long does it take for the EHD to "Spin Up?"

dendavis

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 10, 2003
Metro Denver
Called DISH to have the EHD function activated for my HWS, was told "oh, just go ahead and connect the EHD to the receiver, it should show up and be fine." So, did connect an older WD unit, turned on the TV and saw a pop up from DISH notifying me that an external hard drive had been connected to the HWS. Went to the DVR page, found the icon for the EHD. Opened it up, saw it had listings for all the programs I had imported to it. Went to play one of the recordings, got a screen message saying "external hard drive is spinning up." Waited for over five minutes, no joy, just a black screen. I bailed out, made sure I could get back to my home menu and screen.

Is this normal, and should I have waited longer? Everything seemed to be moving along nicely, so I am a bit flummoxed right now.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions.

There is some anomaly with the the EHDs right now. If you try to go to a program, the first time, it will spin forever. The fix is to back out and then go right back to it. It works the second time, everytime...

Reactions: navychop and dweber
I thought that was only on the H3. I don’t see it on my HWSes. I’m surprised you do. But not bad, as bugs go.

My H1 does the same thing. I found that if I open the info screen for the show I want to watch and wait about 15 seconds then hit watch or resume it works on the first try.

My H1 does the same thing. I found that if I open the info screen for the show I want to watch and wait about 15 seconds then hit watch or resume it works on the first try.
Thanks to all for the helpful replies. Did get it to come alive, but with mixed results. Some shows never would load, others were fine. No correlation with when they were recorded, or on which prior machine. Some had been done on a 622, some a 722, 722K. Definitely could not get any of the concerts I had stored. Ya win some, ya lose some.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts