How long of a cable run can I do?

skewzme

Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
I live on 9 acres of land and want to run cable to my garage for high speed internet. Problem is, the distance to the garage from my home is at least 1000 ft, and the area between my home and the garage is mostly wooded.

Is it possible for me to run an R611 cable that far and still have reasonable signal strength, maybe using a repeater every 300 ft or so?

Also, are there any wireless router solutions for this problem? I know a wireless router won't work at these distances, but could I place one every couple hundred feet and maintain a signal?

Other suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks

It can be done, you'll need rg11 cable and maybe 2 house amps. depending on levels(on the house amp., make sure it can pass the return frequency that the modem uses.). At the ground block of the the first house, connect a small jumper from the 3.5 dB side of the splitter (make sure it's the 1st splitter of the cascade)to the house amp., then the rg11 cable to the house amp. Now run the power line to the house amp. Run your RG11 cable to the 2nd house. connect the cable to the modem. If levels a still low, connect the 2nd house amp. somewhere in between the 1st ground block and the modem. You should now be fine. I work for Charter Communications and I've done this before, and it worked. :up

It can be done, you'll need rg11 cable and maybe 2 house amps. depending on levels(on the house amp., make sure it can pass the return frequency that the modem uses.). At the ground block of the the first house, connect a small jumper from the 3.5 dB side of the splitter (make sure it's the 1st splitter of the cascade)to the house amp., then the rg11 cable to the house amp. Now run the power line to the house amp. Run your RG11 cable to the 2nd house. connect the cable to the modem. If levels a still low, connect the 2nd house amp. somewhere in between the 1st ground block and the modem. You should now be fine. I work for Charter Communications and I've done this before, and it worked. :up

Thanks for the input guys.

Apollog -
I'm going to try your suggestion because I am assuming a cable run will also
get me the TV channels as well (plus I found a 1000Ft roll of RG11 for $150).

Can you give me a specific recommendation for the house amps I need, and maybe an online source to buy them if you know of one?

Many thanks

Sigh...

I know a wireless router won't work at these distances

This is SO not true. Here's the kicker for the price of 2 pringles cans some connectors, you can go even further. Antenna on the Cheap (er, Chip)

Heres a little more expensive way of doing it. MAVROMATIC - DIY: Outdoor Wireless Access Point/Signal Repeater

Heres one you can do with a 5$ wok! http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/

Google is your friend here. If all else fails, drive around and find the house with the really large antennas. He's most likely a HAM operator. He will love to tell you and build for you what you need. (and usually for really small fee of some beer!)

Sigh...

This is SO not true. Here's the kicker for the price of 2 pringles cans some connectors, you can go even further.

Google is your friend here. If all else fails, drive around and find the house with the really large antennas. He's most likely a HAM operator. He will love to tell you and build for you what you need. (and usually for really small fee of some beer!)

I'm learning this stuff. Thanks for the education. This is great!
My biggest challenge is the heavily wooded area I have to go through. The first
300 feet or so (from the source), is open field. But after that, the remaining 600-700 feet is thick woods. I can get over them either because they are very tall pine trees, and the garage is very close to them.
Are there point to point devices that could penetrate 600 feet of wooded area?
Thanks again. Great forum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts