How long to backup?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
That's the reason I try to do it in small batches except I don't know what the ETA is before hand.

Best answer already given:

It's about 6 minutes per hour of content.

Is there anyway to stop the transfer manually assuming it's already in the background as I selected View Live TV.

either go back to the menu and select ehd and it will show time remaining or if you select the drop down from the dvr menu
Then select cancel x-fer...again, I would try to avoid this at ALL cost; again, you may end up corrupting a file(s)...

Best answer already given:
Then select cancel x-fer...again, I would try to avoid this at ALL cost; again, you may end up corrupting a file(s)...

Is that 6 minutes per hour of SD content or HD content as that makes a difference. All my content is SD and each show has like 27-49 episodes so it's kind of hard to do the ETA as you can't select just one episode since it seems to select by the name of the recording. It's not like I can do 10 recordings out of the 49 episodes.

Is that 6 minutes per hour of SD content or HD content as that makes a difference. All my content is SD and each show has like 27-49 episodes so it's kind of hard to do the ETA as you can't select just one episode since it seems to select by the name of the recording. It's not like I can do 10 recordings out of the 49 episodes.

I have a Hopper With Sling with no Joeys. My experience is that transfers to an EHD take about 4 to 5 minutes per HD hour. I never record SD, but it should be at least twice as fast because the file size would be smaller. The H3 thru the USB 3.0 port to a USB 3.0 EHD should be capable of much faster transfers than my HWS.

You can select 10 recordings out of 49 episodes when doing transfers on the HWS by pressing the red button on the file selection screen to select the "No folders" option, then selecting each recording you want to transfer. You probably don't need to do that since your series are in SD which means you have small files and will get fast transfers.

Reactions: Almighty1
I have a question on the EHD as it is extremely slow from my experience. Does the Hopper only delete recordings that have been successfully transferred to the EHD? What happens to transfers during the time when the Hopper shuts off each night at 1AM? Will the shutdown just be ignored or will the Hopper actually pick up where it left off?

The inital time estimate for such large transfers is inaccurate--it will take less time to do the actual transfer. All transfers are processed one recording at a time and are not deleted from the hopper until after it has successfully completed the transfer of that recording. This is true for transfers of TV series which are processed one episode at a time.

Like the other posters I don't recommend doing huge transfers like you were trying to do. I haven't had my HWS interrupt a transfer to do the nightly reboot, but have scheduled recordings that prevented the nightly reboot from happening. The Hopper becomes less stable if you don't allow it to do the nightly reboot and eventually reboots on its own due to that instability.

Last edited:
I have a Hopper With Sling with no Joeys. My experience is that transfers to an EHD take about 4 to 5 minutes per HD hour. I never record SD, but it should be at least twice as fast because the file size would be smaller. The H3 thru the USB 3.0 port to a USB 3.0 EHD should be capable of much faster transfers than my HWS.

You can select 10 recordings out of 49 episodes when doing transfers on the HWS by pressing the red button on the file selection screen to select the "No folders" option, then selecting each recording you want to transfer. You probably don't need to do that since your series are in SD which means you have small files and will get fast transfers.

I wonder if the Hopper 2K is slower than the HWS since it is older. So SD would be 2-3 minutes per HD hour. The H3 is faster but isn't it the encryption that takes time rather than the actual transfer itself between the Hopper and the EHD as I'm using a Samsung 850Pro 2TB SSD mounted in a Thermaltake USB 3.0 HD Docking Station so it should be faster than a normal HDD which is limited in the sustained transfer rate. I think I clicked on the OK button instead of the red button.

The inital time estimate for such large transfers is inaccurate--it will take less time to do the actual transfer. All transfers are processed one recording at a time and are not deleted from the hopper until after it has successfully completed the transfer of that recording. This is true for transfers of TV series which are processed one episode at a time.

Like the other posters I don't recommend doing huge transfers like you were trying to do. I haven't had my HWS interrupt a transfer to do the nightly reboot, but have scheduled recordings that prevented the nightly reboot from happening. The Hopper becomes less stable if you don't allow it to do the nightly reboot and eventually reboots on its own due to that instability.

Thanks for the assurance that it will not delete until the transfer of the recording is successful. I'm not doing huge transfers since I didn't realize you can select individual episodes as the screen only showed the yellow button was for transfer so I clicked on on the name of the show itself and then it selected it so I hit the yellow after that. I mean I'm not doing even 1% of the total recordings in each batch and when I was emailing DIRT, I was told that some installers do not leave the Hopper for the customer to transfer recordings and my install is 12PM-5PM tomorrow for the H3 upgrade so with only 2 days before that, it's better to try to do as much as possible in small batches as HD obviously would require more processing power that can cause the box to crash or something compared to SD recordings which are way smaller since 49 episodes is probably similar to 24 HD episodes. I actually didn't see this thread until after I started the transfers as the Hopper 3 Upgrade thread only said to do small batches, small or big is relative to the definition of the individual and the type of content in question since it should not really be based on # of episodes but rather, the size of the files in question as there is probably a maximum size buffer in the Hopper that is cache and if you go over that, you risk the box crashing. No different than a Cisco 2500 router not being able to handle more than 10 DSL connections without rebooting in a loop. After one upgrades to the H3, the Hopper won't be connected to the satellite so will it still do the nightly reboot since is it the Hopper that requests it or is it actually a signal sent via satellite to reboot at a certain time? I mean if there is no satellite signal, it would seem pointless for the box to do reboots.

In the Hopper 3 upgrades thread, another person said with the HWS, they transferred 500GB of material in 9 hours which is way more than I'm transferring it seems and mines still is not finished yet.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3824900/

Last edited:
I wonder if the Hopper 2K is slower than the HWS since it is older. So SD would be 2-3 minutes per HD hour. The H3 is faster but isn't it the encryption that takes time rather than the actual transfer itself between the Hopper and the EHD as I'm using a Samsung 850Pro 2TB SSD mounted in a Thermaltake USB 3.0 HD Docking Station so it should be faster than a normal HDD which is limited in the sustained transfer rate. I think I clicked on the OK button instead of the red button.

Does that work? I thought I read somewhere that external SSD USB drives are not supported.

Does that work? I thought I read somewhere that external SSD USB drives are not supported.
Works fine for me. External SSD probably is not supported but remember I'm using a HD Docking Station which is basically compatible with any drive. The other thing is how large a program is depends on if the service is on the Western Arc or the Eastern Arc as it's either Mpeg-2 or Mpeg-4 when it comes to compression. My box is still backing up now in the 34 hour queue. It did not reboot at 1AM like it normally does so transferring does seem to put the nightly reboot on pause.

The Hopper 2K is older and slower than HWS. Like the HWS it has USB 2.0 ports which is one of the limiting factors. Doing lots of other activities on your Hopper will make it slower doing transfers. I am on Western arc. Your 2TB SSD powered by the Docking station seems like an expensive storage solution. I'm guessing you had it already and you're just using it as temporary storage until you can transfer programs to your new Hopper.

I don't think there is much encryption processing involved. A transfer copies the file to the EHD, then deletes it from the Hopper. You can play programs directly from an EHD using any Hopper authorized to your Dish account. There is encryption put on the EHD when you initally format it to prevent it from working on a Hopper that is not on your Dish account. If you close your current Dish account, the EHD recordings will become worthless as it is tied to your current account #.

My box is still backing up now in the 34 hour queue.

I hope it still isn't showing 34 hours to go. You can check the current estimated time by selecting the EHD from the "My Recordings" screen. It will show the same window as when you started the transfer, but the time shown will be the current estimate.

The Hopper 2K is older and slower than HWS. Like the HWS it has USB 2.0 ports which is one of the limiting factors. Doing lots of other activities on your Hopper will make it slower doing transfers. I am on Western arc. Your 2TB SSD powered by the Docking station seems like an expensive storage solution. I'm guessing you had it already and you're just using it as temporary storage until you can transfer programs to your new Hopper.

I don't think there is much encryption processing involved. A transfer copies the file to the EHD, then deletes it from the Hopper. You can play programs directly from an EHD using any Hopper authorized to your Dish account. There is encryption put on the EHD when you initally format it to prevent it from working on a Hopper that is not on your Dish account. If you close your current Dish account, the EHD recordings will become worthless as it is tied to your current account #.

I figured the H2K had to be slower than the HWS since it can't be just the addition of WiFi and the Sling alone. I thought what was slowing it down was the encryption and not the wire speed of the transfer itself. Actually, I have about 50 of the 2 TB SSD drives and 10 of the docking stations since they are all here collecting dust not doing anything. I own and run a ISP so these are all evaluation models that are completely free. I just wanted to use them before it ends up sitting here like my other HDD's had for the past 10 years. USB 2.0 is not that slow since it is 480Mbps which translates to about 48MBytes/sec and the typical speed is around 30MBytes/sec which basically can do 1.8GBytes/minute meaning the Hopper with a capacity of 1.23TB, it will need 683 minutes or 11.38 hours to transfer the entire drive. The 34 hours after 12 hours still showed 7 hours remaining before it finally stopped transferring with an error about 14 hours into the transfer. I tried doing just one 1.5 hour episode afterwards which is SD and that took around 5 minutes so there is some type of overhead in the processing that is slowing things down. I thought the encryption was to prevent it so you can't just clone the contents of the drive and access it from a computer. Was it supposed to tell me when the format was completed because when I plugged the USB cable in originally and then powered on the docking station, it did not even see the EHD until I powered off the docking station and then unplugged the cable and then plugged the USB cable back in and powered the docking station. I chose Live TV on the formatting screen but it never told me the drive finished formatting except the docking station has lights saying if the drive is busy or not and it was idle so when I chose EHD, it showed the EHD as well as the total space and free space so I assumed it was done formatting or it wouldn't show that data.

I hope it still isn't showing 34 hours to go. You can check the current estimated time by selecting the EHD from the "My Recordings" screen. It will show the same window as when you started the transfer, but the time shown will be the current estimate.

That was what I did and the time does update except I went to settings -> External HD and then basically tried to choose the source as Hopper and destination as EHD and it shows the same screen.

Also forgot to mention that in the Hopper 3 upgrades thread, someone tried it with a USB Flash drive which just like external SSD drives or 2.5" HDD's gets it's power by USB and not from a external power supply. Basically what was said was that as long as the external device you connect to is 500mA or under, it will work but anything over that, it requires a external power supply to the drive and not get the power from the Hopper itself. There are some people who even managed to get 3TB drives working with the Hopper but it's not officially supported either.

I transferred about 3 DAYS worth of recordings in one shot from EHD to replacement HWS. No problems and I haven't noticed any corrupted files. Yet, anyway.

I saw that. From what I've read the H3 has a much faster processor than the HWS also. You would think that they would take advantage of all that speedy hardware. The software must be putting a speed limit on the transfers.

Yeah, it's probably the software and how well it is written. The H3's guide is lightyears ahead of the H2K in terms of speed. If I'm correct, the Hoppers all run on Linux so it's basically running a Unix like OS which should have way better load handling than what we're seeing as even a 486 can handle 500+ processes without issues.

Wonder how much faster, the HWS is compared to the H2K. Still wonder when they will come out with the next box, hopefully it will be longer than 24 months.

In case you haven't seen the post, a new member carpenter314, posted the following information from SolidSignal and Dish regarding the speed of each of the Hopper/Joey generations:

Hopper 1 = 1700 DMIPS; 750MHz Broadcom 7420; source forums.solidsignal.com/docs/Hopper%20with%20Sling%20Spec%20Sheet.pdf
Hopper 2 w/sling = 3000 DMIPS; 1300MHz Broadcom 7425; source forums.solidsignal.com/docs/Hopper%20with%20Sling%20Spec%20Sheet.pdf
Hopper 3 = 21,000 DMIPS; 1.5GHz; Broadcom 7445 source about.dish.com/press-release/products-and-services/dish-releases-hopper-3-customers-nationwide
Joey 1 = 1100 DMIPs; 405MHz Broadcom 7340; source forums.solidsignal.com/docs/Hopper%20with%20Sling%20Spec%20Sheet.pdf
Joey 2 = information not available at this time
Wireless Joey = 2000 DMIPS; 900MHz Broadcom BCM7418; source about.dish.com/press-release/products-and-services/dish-energizes-hopper-platform-giving-customers-ability-record-i
Super Joey = 3000 DMIPS; 1305MHz, Broadcom BCM7346; source about.dish.com/press-release/products-and-services/dish-energizes-hopper-platform-giving-customers-ability-record-i
4K Joey = 7000 DMIPS; ?MHz Broadcom BCM7448; source dish.com/4k-joey/

So, based on that, the Hopper 2 was only a little less than 2 times as fast (in millions of instructions per second) as the Hopper 1. Even though the H3's processor is only 1.5GHz and the H2 was 1.3GHz, it is quad core vs dual core for the H2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts