How many DISH HD channels are there truly?

mcf57

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
I am looking at possibly getting the HD Only package from DISH ($29.99/month), but have a question about it. How many channels is it curently truly at? I have read on other boards that DISH is up to 50 HD channels, but they only list 42 on their website for this package. Which is it or is it some other number? Just curious.

They have the channels that is displayed on their website. The number the come up with (and DirecTV does this as well) is inflated with other random BS stuff.

I am looking at possibly getting the HD Only package from DISH ($29.99/month), but have a question about it. How many channels is it curently truly at? I have read on other boards that DISH is up to 50 HD channels, but they only list 42 on their website for this package. Which is it or is it some other number? Just curious.

Ask RiffJim.... :)

40 HD channels. VS & Golf are the on the same channel. If your locals are available in HD and you sub to them, 43-44 channels. If you tack on the 5 HD PPV channels (according to the site) you would be up to 48-49. If you sub to Cinnemax, then you are up to 51-52. Sub to the any of the other three movie packs and add another channel to the count. For now, that is all she wrote.

It is fuzzy math... The number fluctuates based on Dish and DirecTv wants to market it. If I were you, I would go and look at the channels and see if there is anyone of them that you watch right now that is HD. For example, Bravo HD is listed but it is one that I will cross out of my list because I do not watch. Hope that helps.

Here is the link to Dish's HD Only Pack showing the 45 channels included in the package:

DISH Network -- Dish HD

Add Dish locals(if the have them in HD) for 5.00 more and 3 CMax HD channels, one HBO, one Starz, and one Showtime, if you Subscribe to the premium packs and that is what you get in HD only Package. No RSNs.

38 HD Channels in the HD Only Package (forget WFN and Hallmark's ridiculous side-bars, for I've only seen SD content on either, but if you must, 40).

They misrepresent the facts, the 5 PPV HD channels are included, but you'll have to pay extra for their content! They fail to mention you'll have access to their plethora of SD PPV, too!

Don't count locals, PPV, RSNs, HBO, SHO, Starz, MAX (although $0.01 p/yr with auto-pay, for now) as ALL are at an additional cost to the sub.

Last edited:
There is a file going round that a few of us have tried to keep updated.
It's in this thread.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-hd-discussions/111417-hd-channel-list-dish-network-vs-directtv.html

At last count there were 70 on dish including regional sports and not including PPV.

if you take regional sports out there were 46. That does include wfn and Hallmark so 44 using the counting system from the previous poster.
This also doesnt include locals so if you have a 4 or 5 of them, you could add them too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts