Votes: 2 3.2%

Votes: 36 58.1%
  • None Yet

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • I Don't intend To Request Any

Votes: 12 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It is not so much that we are OTA only as we have some sets that need it in to others that do not.. BTW I assume that we are all bright enough not to order them if we have no need for them. But maybe Ia ssume too much.

Don't forget that there are some digital OTA stations NOT offered by one sat provider or the other. If youa re interested you need some kind of digital tuner. But if youar e happy with DISH and nothing else hen don't bother to apply.

I have anlog only sets that are ota only, one n the laundrty room basement and the other out in the garage, so I requested 2. Those dont have any E* on them.
I think your situation is pretty common. You don't see to many people putting cable/sat boxes on thier 13" kitchen TV. :)

I havent thought about a TV for the garage, but that's a good place for a former bedroom TV. ;)

If they have HDMI they are not eligible for the coupon program. The program is designed to allow consumers with analog TVs continue to use such sets after the transition. An HDMI output would be useless for this since such sets would not have HDMI inputs. Heck many of tghem probaly do not have composite or S Video inputs.

Last edited:
The more expensive converters(Best Buy) have S-Video/HDMI.;)
S-Video, RF and composite are permitted in the coupon program boxes. HDMI, DVI, and component are not.

Department of Commerce said:
... 53. As noted earlier, NTIA seeks to ensure that the CECB will be easy to install and operate. The RF output is very easy to use as it only requires the consumer to connect a single cable between the converter box and the analog television. The Final Rule, therefore, requires that the CECB include an RF output and also requires that the CECB include composite outputs for those consumers who wish to continue to use the features provided by this technology. NTIA will also permit a S-video output which provides a better standard definition picture using a simple and inexpensive hookup with one cable. ...

DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE

The TR-50 won't be coupon eligible since it is a DVR. I'm waiting for the TR-40 or Sansonic boxes since they use new solid state tuners made by my company rather than the old 1950's style slow mechanical ones that the rest have.

NOBODY, but NOBODY makes mechanical TV tuners anymore, certainly not ATSC tuners???????????

I, too, would be interested to hear about these new fangled "solid state" tuners. At least, what is the difference between the new(er) tuner technology vs. what everyone else is using?

We can's stop someone from using a thread as a place to advertise products but you would have had a better chance of convincing folks if you hadn't said that all other STBs use 195os style mechanical tuners.

I was checking availability of STB's on line last night and what showed zero last week now shows about 40 retailers now have OTA Converter STBs within 50 miles of my loc. Also saw an article in today's paper which indicated the boxes go on sale this week in my locality (Louisville, KY). Now looking for the coupons to arrive. I haven't been to the retailers to look for their availability on the store shelves, but has anyone else seen any in your locality?

Remember the days we used vise grips to change channels, ahh the good old days.

Wrap enough duck tape on that broken dial and it will turn just fine. Who needs those fancy solid state tuners. You never can tell they might emit X rays or Micriwaves or some such thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)