How many HD programs can the 722 record simultaneously?

airtv

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
Memphis, TN
I'm in the market for a HD DVR upgrade.

Does anyone here know for certain if the 722 can record two different HD programs at the same time. Let me be clear, I'm not asking if I can watch two different HD programs at the same time. I know that TV1 outputs HD(orSD) and TV2 only outputs SD. I understand the concept of running HDMI or Component to a remote television to watch TV1 HD output.

I've read a few posts here that claim that the 722 can record two different HD programs simultaneously. Furthermore, I've read claims that, with an antenna connected to the OTA Input, the 722 can actually record three different HD programs simultaneously, two satellite HD channels & one OTA channel.
This would be good for my house, so I hope it's true.

However, I called Dish Tech Support today and spoke with a nice lady with an Eastern accent who told me, after consulting her 'recources', that the 722 can only record one HD and one SD at the same time. This was disappointing to hear, but I have heard of "techs" not having their facts straight.

Can we either establish this as fact or debunk it as a myth right here and now? Thanks for the help.
I think this is my last hurdle in deciding whether to jump on the 722 bandwagon.

I'm in the market for a HD DVR upgrade.

can actually record three different HD programs simultaneously, two satellite HD channels & one OTA channel.

However, I called Dish Tech Support today ............. (IDIOT CSR!!) just reading WRONG info.

Answer: YES. Can record 2 HD channels at same time. 622/722 allows for 2 sat channels to be recorded at same time regardless if SD or HD.

It CAN also record a digital OTA source at same time (whether HD or not).

Thanks Tahoerob,
I heard about this while reading or participating in other threads. But when I tried to search for a definite confirmation, I came up with a bunch of threads that were informative enough, just not about this subject.

I'm about to make the leap from a old Dish 500 w/ PVRs 501 & 508 to to HD DVR. I bought a HD LCD last year just because it fit in the bedroom on a articulating wall mount and it was on sale (I was sick of the huge clunky CRT). I didn't plan on getting hooked on HD content. I made the mistake of watching OTA HD on the new tv and now I can hardly tolerate SD.

I've read a few posts here that claim that the 722 can record two different HD programs simultaneously. Furthermore, I've read claims that, with an antenna connected to the OTA Input, the 722 can actually record three different HD programs simultaneously, two satellite HD channels & one OTA channel.

Yes, i do it all of the time. I record 2 satellite hd programs and 1 ota hd program at the same time. While doing this, you can also watch a already recorded program if you want.:)

Yes, i do it all of the time. I record 2 satellite hd programs and 1 ota hd program at the same time. While doing this, you can also watch a already recorded program if you want.:)

NICE!

Actually, while recording 3 programs, you can watch 2 recorded programs at once (one on TV1 and one on TV2).

So, it could be doing 5 things at once, 3 recordings and 2 viewing of recordings.

Pretty cool ...

Actually, while recording 3 programs, you can watch 2 recorded programs at once (one on TV1 and one on TV2).

So, it could be doing 5 things at once, 3 recordings and 2 viewing of recordings.

Pretty cool ...

I have also had it transferring a recording to the external hard drive at the same time. So looks like it can handle doing 6 things at once.

Very Cool

Thanks Tahoerob,
I heard about this while reading or participating in other threads. But when I tried to search for a definite confirmation, I came up with a bunch of threads that were informative enough, just not about this subject.

I'm about to make the leap from a old Dish 500 w/ PVRs 501 & 508 to to HD DVR. I bought a HD LCD last year just because it fit in the bedroom on a articulating wall mount and it was on sale (I was sick of the huge clunky CRT). I didn't plan on getting hooked on HD content. I made the mistake of watching OTA HD on the new tv and now I can hardly tolerate SD.

What happens to all of us is that you will soon find yourself ONLY watching HD content. I refuse to watch any sports in SD. I have my DVR set to record lots of Nat Geo, Discovery, & History channel new shows. Of course, with the DVR ability you will record more than ever!!

I have also had it transferring a recording to the external hard drive at the same time. So looks like it can handle doing 6 things at once.

Very Cool

Yes. I like!
That reminds me, I guess I'd better start keeping my eye out for a good deal on a external harddrive.

What happens to all of us is that you will soon find yourself ONLY watching HD content. I refuse to watch any sports in SD. I have my DVR set to record lots of Nat Geo, Discovery, & History channel new shows. Of course, with the DVR ability you will record more than ever!!

Yeah, I've resolved to go with the new HD Only package.
I've subscribed to AT200 for too long now. This past Fall I realized that I don't even watch a quarter of the channels I sub to. It's chocked full of crap that I'm not remotely interested in. Then I saw the HD Only deal that came up the first of Feb. It has less crap and more of what I'd actually watch and it's HD. I'll lose a couple of channels I'd like to keep but I also gain a couple that I didn't have before. And it's less $/mo.
Looks like I'll be getting a new HDTV for the living room soon, too.

DVRs rock in my opinion. For an hour program, I would sooner do something productive for 20 minutes first, then start watching the program and skip the commercials instead of rushing to do something in the commercial and end up missing something.

I was also watching a program yesterday and one of my kids needed me. I asked them if they could wait till the commercial. Then I looked down at the remote and saw the pause button - doh! - hit the pause button and off I went.

Way cool.

I found for football games, there is roughly 30sec between plays. So skip forward allows to go from end of play direct to next play.You can watch a full game in about an hour!

I found for football games, there is roughly 30sec between plays. So skip forward allows to go from end of play direct to next play.You can watch a full game in about an hour!

I wish the 722 had adjustable skip buttons. The DVRs I have had in the past you could set the skip button. I think there was about four settings. I set our skip button to 3 minutes. Usually one push of the button would skip commercials.

Can you still record three shows if Dish Network offers your locals in HD? Two scenarios:

1. Locals are only via OTA. You can record 1 local OTA + 2 cable channels simultaneously. (Do you have to pay Dish for locals with this setup?)

2. Locals are via OTA, plus you pay Dish for them. You can record 1 local OTA + 2 Dish channels at once, so can do 1 local + 2 cable, 2 local + 1 cable, or 3 local channels at once (provided two are recorded over satellite).

HDs are being added in Austin next month, and I'm looking to switch from a Dish 510 to a ViP722. I get all the locals in OTA HD with a separate receiver with great quality, so I'm trying to determine the benefit of getting them through Dish Network. After the locals are available in my area, will Dish Network turn off the OTA tuner in my 722 or can I keep using it with or without the locals via satellite?

Edit: This seemed on topic on a not-too-old thread. Thanks!

Welcome digren!

Yes.

The 722 allows you to record 2 "satellite" supplied channels and 1 "OTA" supplied channel.

If you are paying for locals, Dish is therefore supplying you those channels via "satellite". If Dish also happens to be supplying you the HD versions of your locals via "satellite" then there would be nothing stopping your from recording 2 "satellite" channels (which could be any of your satellite supplied local channels) and 1 OTA HD channel. So in effect, you could record 3 local HD channels at once (assuming Dish supplies your HD locals).

Under question 1, you do not have to have locals to get your OTA channels, you just will not get the guide information. In those cases, to record, you are just going to have to figure out the times and program the receiver to record by entering the times specifically.

I could be corrected here, but I believe that if you do not have a HD package, Dish is going to charge you a monthly HD fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts