How many HD programs can the 722 record simultaneously?

So essentially then, if you are going with a HD receiver, be prepared to pay for HD in one form or another. The HD enabling fee is now $7. For $10 (only $3 more) you could pay for the dishHD Essential package.

So essentially then, if you are going with a HD receiver, be prepared to pay for HD in one form or another. The HD enabling fee is now $7. For $10 (only $3 more) you could pay for the dishHD Essential package.

Thank you both for your replies! Either way I would purchase the HD Essential package for my cable channels in HD. I'm only focused on the locals and whether or not I would pay Dish Network for them.

Not having guide information seems like it would be trouble, and since, at some point or another, I'll probably want to record two local channels at once, I think it sounds best if I pay Dish Network for local channels. (With the DVR Advantage package I can skip the DVR fee, which makes up for the added locals fee anyway.)

If I get locals via satellite and via OTA, how does the 722 support both sources in the channel lineup? If they are listed as separate channels, do both have guide information? Or do I have to look at the guide info for the satellite version and manually set recordings for the OTA version?

I talked to a local Dish Network / Direct TV reseller a few days ago, to ask about upgrade deals. They made it sound like I could get the new customer deals if I upgraded through them, instead of going through Dish. If I can get the 722 + new satellite dish for just a $50 or $100 install and a new contract period, I think I'm ready to upgrade.

If I get locals via satellite and via OTA, how does the 722 support both sources in the channel lineup? If they are listed as separate channels, do both have guide information? Or do I have to look at the guide info for the satellite version and manually set recordings for the OTA version?

Here's a screenshot of my locals:

3 is CBS, 5 is NBC, 10 is PBS, 13 is FOX, etc.
The Dish Locals that I pay for are in highlighted Light Blue.
My local stations don't yet feed HD signals to Dish, so my Dish Locals are SD. But the digital OTA alternatives do broadcast HD.
OTA digitals are in highlighted Yellow.
I can watch/record OTA Yellow independently of Tuners 1 & 2.
I don't know if this works in all regions, but I get the guide info for the individual digital alternatives for each channel.

I just had my 722 installed last Sat.

Thanks again. That screenshot is very useful. I'm rather impressed with Dish Network for getting you the channel info on your OTA secondary digital channels, assuming that's how you acquire them. (If they are acquired via the OTA PBS / CBS broadcasts, then that's great, too.)

I'll be calling to upgrade today!

Thanks again. That screenshot is very useful. I'm rather impressed with Dish Network for getting you the channel info on your OTA secondary digital channels, assuming that's how you acquire them. (If they are acquired via the OTA PBS / CBS broadcasts, then that's great, too.)

I'll be calling to upgrade today!

Guide data for Locals and their Subchannels all come from Dish (not the OTA PBS broadcasts). Only catch to this is that if you have an OTA channel that is not carried by Dish (the main channel) or if it is carried on a sat that you can't see, then you will get "Digital Service" in the guide.

For instance, I have one OTA channel that Dish carries on something like 148w. Since our Dish is pointed at 110, 119, and 129, for that channel, we would have to set manual timers if we wanted to record something on it (it is a very small religious station, so it is no big deal to us).

In addition, if you do NOT subscribe to Dish Locals, then you would also only see "Digital Service" even if you see the Sat that the locals are on.

Geoff

I'm in the market for a HD DVR upgrade.

Does anyone here know for certain if the 722 can record two different HD programs at the same time. Let me be clear, I'm not asking if I can watch two different HD programs at the same time. I know that TV1 outputs HD(orSD) and TV2 only outputs SD. I understand the concept of running HDMI or Component to a remote television to watch TV1 HD output.

I've read a few posts here that claim that the 722 can record two different HD programs simultaneously. Furthermore, I've read claims that, with an antenna connected to the OTA Input, the 722 can actually record three different HD programs simultaneously, two satellite HD channels & one OTA channel.
This would be good for my house, so I hope it's true.

However, I called Dish Tech Support today and spoke with a nice lady with an Eastern accent who told me, after consulting her 'recources', that the 722 can only record one HD and one SD at the same time. This was disappointing to hear, but I have heard of "techs" not having their facts straight.

Can we either establish this as fact or debunk it as a myth right here and now? Thanks for the help.
I think this is my last hurdle in deciding whether to jump on the 722 bandwagon.

I have a 722. It will record 2 programs @ the same time. One in HD & one in SD. However, I have a roof ant. & it plugs into the 722. The 722 does indeed record 3 programs @ the same time while you can watch 1 of your already recorded shows stored in the 722.

BTW, The antenna picks up all my locals in HD. Dish just sends me their non HD locals. I love the 722 & use it daily. It's a workhorse that rarely acts up. I highly recommend the 722 to you along with an antenna if you're fairly close to your locals. The PQ off of the ant. is better than the HD sig. from Dish. :eek:

Does this work with the 622 as well :confused:, I am new to this site I am looking forward to gathering as much info as I can.

I have a 722. It will record 2 programs @ the same time. One in HD & one in SD. However, I have a roof ant. & it plugs into the 722. The 722 does indeed record 3 programs @ the same time while you can watch 1 of your already recorded shows stored in the 722.

BTW, The antenna picks up all my locals in HD. Dish just sends me their non HD locals. I love the 722 & use it daily. It's a workhorse that rarely acts up. I highly recommend the 722 to you along with an antenna if you're fairly close to your locals. The PQ off of the ant. is better than the HD sig. from Dish. :eek:

Walker1, for the VIP722 and I think also the 622, you can record three HD channels at the same time with the OTA antenna. The 722 tuner one and tuner two can record in HD at the same time.

Walker1, for the VIP722 and I think also the 622, you can record three HD channels at the same time with the OTA antenna. The 722 tuner one and tuner two can record in HD at the same time.

You're quite right. I have a non HD TV in the room that #2 sig. is sent to. Actually, when I set up a timer/program I have the 1st one default to TV 2 so I can watch TV 1 programs while #2 is recording.

I am very fond of the 722.:eek:

You're quite right. I have a non HD TV in the room that #2 sig. is sent to. Actually, when I set up a timer/program I have the 1st one default to TV 2 so I can watch TV 1 programs while #2 is recording.

I am very fond of the 722.:eek:

Yep, it is pretty nice. It works pretty good and reliable. Just wish it had all the whistles and bells like some of the other HD DVRs I have used before.

The 3 HD tuners on the 622 and 722 are amazing. The only thing I wish they have is smarter software integrating OTA and Dish Tuner programming. For example, if I scheduled 2 shows on the OTA channel at the same time slot, it will only record 1 based on priority. It doesn't know that the same show is also on the 2 Dish Tuner HD local channels. If I schedule the 2 shows on the Dish Tuner, it will record 1 on TV1 and other on TV2. But if I scheduled a 3rd show (on local channel) on the Dish Tuner with a lower priority, it won't be recorded even though the OTA tuner is not being used.

The dish receiver knows how to map the OTA channels with the Dish HD local, so it should be able to integrate the OTA tuner as the 3rd Dish tuner when it comes to local channels.

The 3 HD tuners on the 622 and 722 are amazing. The only thing I wish they have is smarter software integrating OTA and Dish Tuner programming. For example, if I scheduled 2 shows on the OTA channel at the same time slot, it will only record 1 based on priority. It doesn't know that the same show is also on the 2 Dish Tuner HD local channels. If I schedule the 2 shows on the Dish Tuner, it will record 1 on TV1 and other on TV2. But if I scheduled a 3rd show (on local channel) on the Dish Tuner with a lower priority, it won't be recorded even though the OTA tuner is not being used.

The dish receiver knows how to map the OTA channels with the Dish HD local, so it should be able to integrate the OTA tuner as the 3rd Dish tuner when it comes to local channels.

Thanks for bringing up this point. I am looking at getting a VIP722 and I was wondering about this. I know that on Monday Nights we had a problem with How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory being against Chuck and something else. The only way we could resolve it on our TiVo setup was to move the sitcoms to our second TiVo. That's the joy of 4 tuners.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)