HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE CHANGED OVER TO THE DISH FROM DTV?

Highgear

Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Wethersfield,CT.
I must have been a coma for the last few years. I have had D* for the last five years. It was great in the beginning and great value over cable. Every once in a while I would notice them dropping a channel. Just recently Verses. I took a look at The Dish vs. D* programing at same price packeges (Bronze) and I couldn't believe how many more channels I would be getting with the Dish, over 70! Well, the installer will be on my roof Sunday.

Last edited:
Never and never will

Then the question obviously was not directed at you. I have gone through DirecTV, Comcast, Charter and now Dish. I quit DirecTV when my bill seemingly rose every month. Then I went for a cable bundle and went to Dish when that rate expired. I like Dish. I would not go back to DirecTV if they paid me to because they had the worst customer service and charged me over $400 when I never received their return boxes that they said were delivered. Instead of working with me, they charge me then ask questions... I got my money back... from the bank. Screw DirecTV. Seriously.

Bad CSR experiences with me. Also not that big a sports fan other than Saints. I get more of the channels I watch with Dish and don't have to pay extra for them. Love the chat feature on the web site and the pip on the dvr is sweet. Not looking back at DTV.

I must have been a coma for the last few years. I have had DTV for the last five years. It was great in the beginning and great value over cable. Every once in a while I would notice them dropping a channel. Just recently Verses. I took a look at The Dish vs. DTV programing at same price packeges (Bronze) and I couldn't believe how many more channels I would be getting with the Dish, over 70! Well, the installer will be on my roof Sunday.

We switched to E* after two years with D*. I must say that we get many more channels with the Gold 250 + HD & Platnium add-on with E* than we ever did with the ChoiceXtra pack with D*. I found out about the packages from E* when helping relatives find a package that they fit their viewing needs with E*. I love the Encores as well as having the west feeds of The Movie Channel and The Movie Channel Xtra. If anyone wants some of the Encores in a lower pack, it is $4.99 a la carte last time I checked, but they are in the Gold 250 pack without an additional fee. We get Encore (East) HD due to having the Gold 250 pack and HD & Platinum, and I think that is very awesome. The HD & Platinum add-on is also good even for those in lower packages especially for HDNet Movies and MGM HD. We are not big sports fans except for the local teams; therefore, we never really were big fans of what D* had. With E*, we actually get an RSN that we were not getting with D*. So, that was another plus. We also get an additional local channel with E* that we did not get with D*. So, the switch seemed like the best choice. We also had problems with D* especially with receivers that we had to reset, and the signal would sometimes go out right away even before the weather would actually get bad. With E*, our signal lasts longer in bad weather, and our picture looks so much better. We were pleasantly surprised. We also had a great installer with E*. The past installers did not seem to care as much and did not seem to do anywhere as good as a job. So far, I have had good experiences with E* online with the CSRs. I like this since it is quick and easy without a phone call. We also got HBO & Showtime for 3 months, and it was simple to cancel online. I did have to do a quick chat with a CSR to remove the $22 for the next month. However, she said that I canceled it on time, and she immediately adjusted the bill correctly which I saw the next day online. We also were lucky to get the Cinemax for a penny deal for a year. We love movies; so, movie channels are great. If you love movie channels, then I think you should give E* a chance. Also, we get just as many if not more sports channels with E* as we did with D*. We have 2 HD Duo receivers, and we pay $7 in lease fees due to connected each to a phone line. It is great to cut $10 off the bill, too. I hope this helps anyone considering switching. We thought it would be a great hassle at first to drop D*, but E* has made things so much better for us.

Left dtv in September had been with them from1994.
left over versus and glad i did.
their dvr is great and i have the gold 250 seems like a great value compared to total choice plus. they kept telling me they had other sports channels and didn't understand i wanted the the indy car racing only wanted to give me two month of showtime. would not even thing about going back

Thanks guys. Now I feel even better about my choice to go with The Dish. Powerhouse1960, yes when D* dropped Versus I too was like "why should I stay". They took away the one station I needed to watch professional cycling. One other mentioned about prices kept going up. My wife noticed that too. Trying to cut cost, we decided to drop down to the Family package with D*. It was great for my young kids due to all the kid channels but they mostly watched Disney. When they named it the family package, they really should have called it the kid package. The package is so hollowed out, it doesn't even have one ESPN. If any of you have a minute shoot over there and take a look. I don't know how I was so stupid to be paying them $66 a mo. for absolutely no programing the last few years. I'm not looking back!

Last edited:
I went with Dish in 2002 stayed until 2006 then went with DirecTV then came back to Dish 2009.

I go with who has the best deal and programming for me right now that's standard definition programming.

This year it was Dish in 3 more years it could be DirecTV again.I keep all my Dish and DirecTV dishes on my house just in case.

So Dish and DirecTV take notice I subscribe to the Everything pak so how bad do you want my business?.I'll be watching.;)

It is almost a year for me since I switched to Dish from Direct after almost ten years with Direct. I enjoy the progaming choices, the ability to have two tv's with one reciver especially that being DVR features. I enjoy the HD channels. I thought it this year it would be real hard without the Ticket, its been easy

I went with Dish in 2002 stayed until 2006 then went with DirecTV then came back to Dish 2009.

I go with who has the best deal and programming for me right now that's standard definition programming.

This year it was Dish in 3 more years it could be DirecTV again.I keep all my Dish and DirecTV dishes on my house just in case.

So Dish and DirecTV take notice I subscribe to the Everything pak so how bad do you want my business?.I'll be watching.;)

As far as Charlie is concerned, he probably doesn't want your business because it is costing him too much money for you to leave so quickly, then come back getting all the freebies. Both Dish and Direc TV spend a ton of $$ to get you, and they do their best to keep you, but you're exactly the kind of subscriber who keeps Charlie's (and Direc TV and al the MSO's) cost of acquisition sky-high. So, it really is smart of them to NOT want your business. It is a hard concept to accept, but not every customer is truly a big money maker for a service, especially if they don't stay around long enough for the company to realize the full economies of your subscription. And no, they aren't looking to make the loose change on you, even at the AEP, if you leave by the end of 3 years.

I switched over 2 yrs ago. They wanted too much to upgrade to the Hd receivers. Took forever or least seems to get my mailing address right so I could return the receiver. Had been with dish before in the mid 90s. Forget why I switched to directv in the first place. Love their dvr.

No real data to back this up, but maybe I am just seeing this becouse I have jumped to the other side, but it seems within the last six months more have jumped from Direct to Dish, again no scentific data just an obervation.

I switched in Oct and so glad I did! I love the 722k and the programming was the kicker. I'm not a sports fan, so I had no reason to stay with D*.
How does one go about getting (new customer) the 722K? I was told that I would be getting a 600 model. I only have one TV at the moment, could this be the reason? Would there be any picture quality difference between the two models?

Thanks

It's a loaded question. If the question was reversed, some of the same reasons would be used to explain the switch from Dish to Directv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)