How many wires are needed for the 5 LNB dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

buzzbar

Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Western USA
Hi,

I'm getting a new dish installed on Thursday. I believe it's going to be the 5 LNB, but not certain. I have a triple LNB dish installed now. I'm just wondering if they will need to run more wires out to the dish? Is there a wiring diagram available out there?

Thanks in advance.

buzzbar

Hi,

I'm getting a new dish installed on Thursday. I believe it's going to be the 5 LNB, but not certain. I have a triple LNB dish installed now. I'm just wondering if they will need to run more wires out to the dish? Is there a wiring diagram available out there?

Thanks in advance.

buzzbar

Assuming it is a standard 5 lnb type, you need one cable for each tuner, IOW, one for a receiver, and two for a dvr.

Picture attached 5x8 multiswitch

I have three DVR receivers. I have a triple LNB dish with four (4) RG6 cables running from the dish to a 5x8 multiswitch. From the multiswitch, I have (2) RG6 cables running to each of the three (3) DVRs. (see attached picture).

My question is, with the change to the 5 LNB dish, will it be necessary to run more RG6 cables from the dish? Will this multiswitch still work?

I understand that Directv provides and installs all that I need, but I want to know what to anticipate.

Thanks for the help.

buzzbar

Attachments

• 5x8 multiswitch.jpg
    5x8 multiswitch.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 246
The 5LNB has 4 outputs. That's all you need and you say you already have that many ran. The dish itself doesn't NEED any wires (well, other than power I guess from the reciever). The wires are outputs for your tuners or switch. You say you already have the max of 4 outputs ran. So, no worries.

The dish MAST will be different with the 5LNB dish. The 5x8 multiswitch will be changed for a WB6x8. Your wire is already correct. Use this as an opportunity to inspect external fittings & cable to change out questionable stuff and make all neat.

Observe removal of the old mast for patching leaks. Same for installation of the new mast...assuming it goes in the same place.

Should be an EZ job.

Joe

I have an SWM with 5 LNBs. The 2 HR22s are fed with one wire to each receiver, receiving 2 sat signals for the 2 tuners in the HR22.:D

The dish itself doesn't NEED any wires (well, other than power I guess from the reciever)./QUOTE]

LOL, yeah, I realize I don't have to run wires up to space. Sorry, couldn't resist. hehe.

I just wanted to make sure they didn't have to run anymore wires. I've got four, so I'm good.

The dish is currently mounted on the side of our very large chimney. I do NOT want to mount it to the roof, so I'm hoping that the new dish can still be mounted on the side of the chimney. Perhaps they'll need to install a cross base.

Also, the SWM method seems almost too good to be true. Are there problems associated with this setup? Not sure if I'll get that, but just curious.

buzzbar

The dish itself doesn't NEED any wires (well, other than power I guess from the reciever)./QUOTE]

LOL, yeah, I realize I don't have to run wires up to space. Sorry, couldn't resist. hehe.

I just wanted to make sure they didn't have to run anymore wires. I've got four, so I'm good.

The dish is currently mounted on the side of our very large chimney. I do NOT want to mount it to the roof, so I'm hoping that the new dish can still be mounted on the side of the chimney. Perhaps they'll need to install a cross base.

Also, the SWM method seems almost too good to be true. Are there problems associated with this setup? Not sure if I'll get that, but just curious.

buzzbar

Be prepared, many D* installers will not mount to a chimney as the weight is much heavier than the older style dishes.
Can you have them mount it on a pole in the ground, the easier the access the better.

The dish WILL be mounted on the chimney. The chimney is VERY substantial in size, and is more like a brick wall. Access is not a problem, it's just a one story house.

What's the weight difference between my existing triple LNB and the 5 LNB? I believe the 5 LNB is 25 lbs, which the brick will most certainly hold.

I'm also an electrical contractor, so I'm quite familiar with mounting these sort of things.

Thanks.

buzzbar

The dish WILL be mounted on the chimney. The chimney is VERY substantial in size, and is more like a brick wall.
It isn't the size, it is how you use it.

As Jimbo points out, there are new policies regarding how the Slimline is installed because of its size and weight. As an end user you don't get to modify or rewrite the policies as the installer doesn't work for you. The best you can hope for is to get the installer to work with you.

I caution that there are reasons for some of these policies that you may not have thought of. The dish does weigh about 25 pounds, but the key issue is the larger reflector area that makes for a much better sail in the wind. The other issue is the requirement for "struts" to stabilized the dish. Installers are required to buttress the mast with two struts. The Ka signals from the new satellites is MUCH less forgiving than the Ku signals that you're currently getting.

Last edited:
I attached a picture of my current setup. Didn't have a ladder handy, so it's not the best shot. But it does show the chimney.
The prevailing winds come from the Southwest, which is the chimney actually protects the dish from. It's also low enough, that the roofline protects it from the Northwest. I understand the problem of the dish becoming a 'sail', which is why I mounted my old dish in this location. I am completely confident that the wind won't knock it down.

I guess it depends on the installer that shows up, because the last installer had the attitude of, "hey, whatever you want to do". He was just excited that all of the 'grunt' work had been done by me. ;)

Anyway, the biggest thing that I want to avoid is drilling or screwing into the roof. THAT is NOT going to happen. I don't care who the guy works for, he doesn't own my house. If they want to keep me as a subscriber (which I have been since 2001), they'll mount the dish on the chimney. I just hope he comes with a roto hammer drill. ;)

Thanks guys.

buzzbar

Attachments

• Dish mounted to chimney.jpg
    Dish mounted to chimney.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 208

buzzbar
SWM technology only works with H2x and HR2x and D12 receivers other older receivers need to be upgraded to be able to use SWM. Also on system upgrades D* won't provide SWM the customer must buy their own SWM equipment..

I'm glad you told us that is a brick chimney it looks more like a composition board construction which I definitely wouldn't trust to support a Slimline. Be sure they don't use mortar joints for anchors, drill into the bricks only. You may be surprised at how much larger the Slimline looks than your Phase 3.

The dish is installed!
Just an FYI update, the DirecTV guy installed the new dish on my chimney this afternoon. I attached a few pictures. Actually, he didn't have a roto hammer or any brick anchors, so I had to drill the holes and actually mount the base to the dish, but that wasn't a big deal.

It also looks like a triple LNB, not a 5 LNB, but I get all of the HD channels. I guess the 5 LNB isn't necessary. Any thoughts?

So far, I'm VERY pleased with the new receivers. I got three HR23-700s. They have a whopping 500G hard drive, which is good for up to 110 hrs of MPEG 4 HD.

The user experience between this and my old Tivo has been better than expected. Although, there is a learning curve.

All in all, I'm glad I changed the receivers. But how could I turn down FREE? ;)

Thanks.

buzzbar

Attachments

• Slimline dish install 1.jpg
    Slimline dish install 1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 210
  • Slimline dish install 2.jpg
    Slimline dish install 2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 188
  • Slimline dish install 3.jpg
    Slimline dish install 3.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 196
  • Slimline dish install 4.jpg
    Slimline dish install 4.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 172
The SWMLine SL3 receives the 99, 101, and 103 sats, which obviously is all you need in your area.

If you have any winds, I'd check the anchoring of the dish occasionally.

I'm near Seattle, so does that mean that I only need the 3 LNBs? Everything is working, so I'm not complaining. Do I not NEED all five of the LNBs? I'm clueless on this. I DO know that the DirecTV installer was very impressed with the signal strength I received, it was in the mid 90s.

Regarding the wind. I will certainly periodically check the anchoring for the dish. The really good thing is that the prevailing winds blow from the SW, which is on the opposite side of the chimney. In other words, the chimney will shield the dish from the wind. And the roofline is high enough on the other side to protect it from that direction.

buzzbar

If you don't subscribe to anything exotic (Internationals), you would be fine with a 3LNB Slimline. Your SD LIL come from 101W making this possible. If 110W or 119W somehow became a problem, you could swap for an 3LNB unit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)