How much is Charlie worth?

As a current retailer I actually have to agree with Claude on this. I think if you asked all retailers they would say there has been a change. It may be want they wanted to do and it may just be what they're forced to do to keep up. I'm not for sure but things have changed.

Because he stepped down and is doing other things?
Still... Dish is the cheapest option for many many people out there.

I'm afraid that soon Dish will no longer be the cheapest solution. They seem to be evening the playing field. The next big mistake they are making is phasing out all of the VIP receivers. Customers will no longer be able to get a dual tuner, which means no more easy mirrors to the extra TVs in the house, which means you either pay more per month for a receiver there or just no programming on it at all.

I've already voiced my displeasure about this with them. They seem to think it's a great idea because according to them most customers have all HDTVs in the house and want DVR on all of them and are willing to pay whatever the price.

I'm afraid that soon Dish will no longer be the cheapest solution. They seem to be evening the playing field. The next big mistake they are making is phasing out all of the VIP receivers. Customers will no longer be able to get a dual tuner, which means no more easy mirrors to the extra TVs in the house, which means you either pay more per month for a receiver there or just no programming on it at all.

I've already voiced my displeasure about this with them. They seem to think it's a great idea because according to them most customers have all HDTVs in the house and want DVR on all of them and are willing to pay whatever the price.

Cable companies have jumped on the fee bandwagon for whole home DVR too, and they are not cheap! Time Warner Cable charges a whopping $31.99/month for the first TV DVR (2 tuner!!!) and then $23.99 each for additional DVRs and $11 for another TV box (non dvr) to share the recordings with.... 2 TVs with one DVR costs you $42.99 in fees and you can only record 2 shows at once with 75 hours capacity. This makes Dish's Hopper system seem like a steal.

When compared apples to apples with other providers Dish is still a good deal. The problem is that people only see the promotional rates from other providers and think they're getting screwed. The other problem is with existing customers who have mirrored TVs and then try upgrading to the Hopper, they get can't believe how much more it is. We understand that's it's going to be a lot more because you're getting a lot more but it's hard for most to see past a $12 increase.

The other problem is with existing customers who have mirrored TVs and then try upgrading to the Hopper, they get can't believe how much more it is. We understand that's it's going to be a lot more because you're getting a lot more but it's hard for most to see past a $12 increase.
All it takes to mirror, if that it what you actually mean, is a $10.00 RF modulator to connect to Hopper or Joey.

Well, that sucks. All they would need to do to handle all those HDTVs on TV2 is ANAMORPHIC WIDESCREEN mode. :rant:HD channels on the SD outputs would look as good as DVDs do now.

OK, please explain.

In order to mirror off of a Joey you need one cable from the node to the Joey, then you need composite cables out of the Joey into an RF modulator, then a separate coax cable from the modulator to the mirrored TV. The problem is most people do not have two coax cables to every location in their home.

I have a thread in the Hopper section about mirroring to explain one way we found how to make it easier.

In order to mirror off of a Joey you need one cable from the node to the Joey,

That, I don't understand, unless you mean for initially connecting a Joey. With an existing Joey, just need a modulator to connect to composites.

EDIT: And who does not have at least a half-dozen composite cables sitting in a drawer or box?

Last edited:
Charlie first made his money back in the days of the big dish. Houston Tracker and Echostar ird.s. Anyone remember what they had to pay for Primestar? I got my first Dish way back in the 90's when Dish reduced their prices to be competitive with cable. I live on a rural road and there was no cable here, then.
He made his money by being in the right place at the right time.

That, I don't understand, unless you mean for initially connecting a Joey. With an existing Joey, just need a modulator to connect to composites.

And then you need a coax from the modulator to the mirrored TV. So, you need two coaxes at the Joey site. As Sherrman stated, most folks don't have two coaxes in every room...

EDIT: And who does not have at least a half-dozen composite cables sitting in a drawer or box?

Two cables must go to the room since the hopper system is not suppose to use diplexers. We found a way to do it though and I started a thread about it in the Hopper zone.

Just use wireless broadcasting from the composite outs. Those two boxes (or more) don't need to cost that much.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Because he stepped down and is doing other things? Still... Dish is the cheapest option for many many people out there.
If that was the case we would have Joe Clayton hosting the Charlie Chats. I think what ended the Charlie chats is that there is nothing exciting to talk about anymore with Dish. No new channels launching every month, no new technology besides the hopper which has been out for almost 2 years. The last time I saw Charlie on a chat was a few years when they took down a bunch of local channels and the entire thing turned into a giant bitch session with people demanding more than the $1 credit dish was offering to customers. Yea the dollar was a fair pro-ration, but people where expecting a $5 or $10 credit for their in convince.

I honestly think Joe Clayton and the politics that go on at corporate is the real reason why I no longer sell Dish and am exclusive with Directv.

Scott, have you ever asked Charlie if you being the last guest on his chat was a hint at your forums being the reason why the Charlie Chats ended?

With forums like these there were not reason to have Charlie Chats anymore as people were getting even more info on here. It was nice seeing Charlie, Jim and Co. Those were exciting times. It was something new, something thrilling. Now its just the norm and nothing that special about it like it used to be. I'm not saying that there are not great things about satellite and the technology, its just not that new special feeling anymore. That new car feeling is gone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)