How much is the Hopper upgrade costing you?

Another thing to remember when seeing different prices for customer is what equipment they are getting. A plan C customer getting 1 Hopper and 1 Joey would only pay $300 compared to a customer wanting 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys for $700. That's not of the reasons you are seeing so many different prices quoted on here.

I didn't get free installation. And, yes, it still bothers me now several months into my second year with Dish. Customers have long memories when it comes to this kind of stuff. Dish would have been better off just giving me a free installation like they advertised and seemingly everyone else got. The $99 I paid and the money they saved on equipment isn't worth the fact that it was the first step toward me likely churning as soon as the contract was up, and me talking down Dish to everyone who asks me about it. They likely good have had a happy positive customer for life had they started me off on the right foot with the free install and free HD equipment and free HD for life they advertised, and stuck to the advertised first year monthly price instead of hiking it. I know at least one person who might have been interested had my experience been positive and now isn't.

Now they have a likely short-term customer who's bitter about the situation and lets everyone know about the issues Dish has. Of course, unfortunately, cable has it's issues, too, but in different areas, generally.

We need to stand up and demand that these companies stop having double standards. If they advertise one thing in big bold letters, the fine print shouldn't invalidate it for a certain class of people they think less of.

They need to think about establishing positive long-term relationships with customers- which means giving everyone the same deal that's advertised. So no one feels like a second-class customer.
i had to pay to start my dish account back in 08.

Obviously, they can't do that with like home loans or for top caliber new cars, but they could do it with cell phones and television products and other stuff like that. It used to be your credit only came into play in a few very select circumstances, not in everything you tried to do.

That point is well taken and a good one. There are many times credit really shouldn't come into play imo.

The only problem with one price for everyone in some circumstances, Dish included, they can do that, but that one price is going to be higher for everyone. Obviously if they won't give what the best rated customer gets to the worst rated customer, they're not going to place expensive equipment with people known not to pay or give them programming then have them not pay with that same low out of pocket cost. So the alternative would be to make me and you pay more for those people.

Tampa8 said:
That point is well taken and a good one. There are many times credit really shouldn't come into play imo.

The only problem with one price for everyone in some circumstances, Dish included, they can do that, but that one price is going to be higher for everyone. Obviously if they won't give what the best rated customer gets to the worst rated customer, they're not going to place expensive equipment with people known not to pay or give them programming then have them not pay with that same low out of pocket cost. So the alternative would be to make me and you pay more for those people.

Very good point.

Another thing to remember when seeing different prices for customer is what equipment they are getting. A plan C customer getting 1 Hopper and 1 Joey would only pay $300 compared to a customer wanting 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys for $700. That's not of the reasons you are seeing so many different prices quoted on here.

My biggest problem I have isn't the different prices quoted for different people on different equipment...mine is the same people asking for the same equipment getting wildly different quotes from different reps, including DIRT.

My biggest problem I have isn't the different prices quoted for different people on different equipment...mine is the same people asking for the same equipment getting wildly different quotes from different reps, including DIRT.

Same here. Thursday when the Hopper was released I inquired with the DISH CSR online and was quoted $600+ for 1 Hopper/2 Joeys. The next day after it was stated that DISH requalified their customers I asked again to a DISH CSR online and was quoted over $700 for the same deal.

I don't feel like a second class citizen, I feel like a fourth class citizen. I didn't even qualify for Plan C....

I have one Hopper, no Joey installed Saturday. Had zero fight in getting it done. Went through a local retailer. Also been a customer for 14+ years. What are they telling you?

My conversation with one of the DIRT members.

-----------------------------------------------------

Hi XXXXX, I'm interested in upgrading to a Hopper - No Joey. What would be my cost, including install?

Thanks!

"Currently, our system requires that at least 1 Joey also be installed with a Hopper. For a Hopper and Joey the one time upgrade fee would be a one time $100.
The upgrade will require a new 24 month commitment and credit card to qualify.
DVR fee would be $10 a month, plus $7 for each Joey on the account. Without the protection plan on the account, there is a one time $95 charge for install.
We can always add it on ($6/month) to discount the install to $15)

Hi XXXXX thanks for the reply.

Quite honestly - That offer is pathetic. I have 1 TV, I don't need a joey and certainly am not going to pay $7 month for one! I've been a loyal Dish customer for over 14 years, I haven't played games and jumped from service to service and have personally brought them over 6 other customers. Why should I pay Dish for what Directv will give me for free? They will give me what I want and with no out of pocket cost, only a 2 year commitment. If Dish wants to keep me as a customer they need to step up, otherwise I'm gone and I won't be coming back.

The $100 for the Hopper upgrade can not be waived. I can waive the $95 install for you. We work hard to balance our costs, be fair and provide the best customer service and offers. We are proud to have the lowest monthly fees in the industry. While we could raise our monthly fees in order to offer you a better receiver upgrade cost, we have chosen not to do this. Our average cost for both the technician visit and receiver is $500. DISH is pleased to be the only company to provide you with HD Free For Life, which will save you $120 this year and $600 over the next five years.

OK. I suppose I could live with the $100 Hopper fee but what about the Joey requirement?

The Joey requirement is something that I can not change, or bypass in our system

Thanks anyway - Looks like it's time to move on to a company that wants my business and cares more about what I need than silly requirements set in stone.

That's It.

By requiring the 1st Joey DISH gets an extra $7 a month as well as the then bogus $4 a month whole house DVR fee. With one Hopper there would be no reason for that fee.

i was just seeing what 1H/2J would cost me and i was told $200 +$95 install fee on chat. i pm'ed dish answers on facebook to see what they say and they haven't answered me in three says. i don't wanna pm DIRT here because i know they are swamped and i really don't want the hopper setup until OTA is available. my quoted cost would still be alot cheaper than what i've seen posted here. i feel that everyone like dwarren and neutron should get a good deal on a hopper setup and not these 700 dollar quotes. i see alot of new and older customers getting the $99 deal, not cool IMO.

By requiring the 1st Joey DISH gets an extra $7 a month as well as the then bogus $4 a month whole house DVR fee. With one Hopper there would be no reason for that fee.

I'd even be willing to pay the bogus $4 whole house DVR fee if they would let me have a Hopper sans Joey because I'd save all but $1 of that on reduced programming cost. It all comes down to Dish losing a 14 year subscriber and $1100.00 a year in monthly programming vs $84 a year in fees. Can anyone explain how that makes economic sense?

Last edited:
I PM'd Zach early on Thursday before the mad rush and was quoted the standard $100 + $15 install fee (add service plan) for 1H 1J. I had only recently did a DIU to HD back in August. Since then I haven't even tried to ask again when I saw how many wildly different quotes the same people were getting from different sources. On top of that, Zach has successfully set up 1H 0J and 2H 1J while other DIRT members have said it's impossible. I will continue to wait until the damn dust settles.

I PM'd Zach early on Thursday before the mad rush and was quoted the standard $100 + $15 install fee (add service plan) for 1H 1J. I had only recently did a DIU to HD back in August. Since then I haven't even tried to ask again when I saw how many wildly different quotes the same people were getting from different sources.
my last upgrade was to a second 722 early in 2011. i don't see how someone could be told $500 then $700, etc

gpollock87 said:
my last upgrade was to a second 722 early in 2011. i don't see how someone could be told $500 then $700, etc

I paid $200 for 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey. Installer was able to ge the work order changed to avoid having to add an unneeded second Joey to my setup.

Here is my day on launch
1st CSR $0 for a 2 hopper, 3 joey upgrade but needed my debit card information to continue.
2nd CSR confirmed that the previous CSR online was right
Alicia from Dirt told me that those two CSRs were wrong that I was to be billed for $100 for a "1H1J" upgrade. She then set me up with the 2H3J upgrade that I wanted then told me that I would be billed $200 and installation was free because I have DHPP. Took my debit card information. Sometime after that I logged in to my account and my account somehow belonged to Dan M. from California, as the account holder, and the billing address was his address and the service address was still mine. I had to contact Alicia again and she said everything on her end showed that my account was still mine and it was some random glitch (I've read one of other report of this happening to another SatGuys member during the 922 upgrades)
Matt from DIRT told me that I would be billed on my bill for the upgrade.
Now when I log into Dish Online it shows no Equipment on my account just a prompt that says I "must call Dish Network for more information because my receiver information cannot be shown at this time" and I have two advanced exchanges activated on 3/15.

By that point my head was about ready to explode and I just wanted to lay down and take a nap, roughly six hours after I initiated the online chat to do my upgrade. I'm either being billed $200, $100 or $300 combined. Hopefully it's not more by the posts on here. It's either going to be on my debit card sometime in the near future on the next bill. I don't know if I can even survive upgrade day but I'm doing my best to make it as easy as I can for the installer.

NIGHTMARE!
(but i kind of understand as it's launch day)

i was just seeing what 1H/2J would cost me and i was told $200 +$95 install fee on chat. i pm'ed dish answers on facebook to see what they say and they haven't answered me in three says. i don't wanna pm DIRT here because i know they are swamped and i really don't want the hopper setup until OTA is available. my quoted cost would still be alot cheaper than what i've seen posted here. i feel that everyone like dwarren and neutron should get a good deal on a hopper setup and not these 700 dollar quotes. i see alot of new and older customers getting the $99 deal, not cool IMO.

Oh man, lots of other angry people in here now, guess I'm really not alone. What a mess. One thing that seems confirmed is that paying your bill late doesn't even make you Plan C / lowest class... It's the accepting of credits. Garbage.

This whole ordeal wreaks of GoDaddy's initial SOPA/PIPA stance where the big cheese thought he'd be clever by implying TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT. And people left. Many, many people.

Oh man, lots of other angry people in here now, guess I'm really not alone. What a mess. One thing that seems confirmed is that paying your bill late doesn't even make you Plan C / lowest class... It's the accepting of credits. Garbage.

This whole ordeal wreaks of GoDaddy's initial SOPA/PIPA stance where the big cheese thought he'd be clever by implying TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT. And people left. Many, many people.
I went down to the top 200 for about and month and was offered a credit for 6 months if i went back to the top 250. i accepted the offer. out of my 3 1/2 years with dish thats the only time i did not have the top 250.

I just called to get price (actually chat) for 1 hopper and 2 joeys. $99.00 with 15.00 install fee waived. i'm not quite ready yet but hopefully soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts