How much is the Hopper upgrade costing you?

My conversation with one of the DIRT members.

-----------------------------------------------------

Hi XXXXX, I'm interested in upgrading to a Hopper - No Joey. What would be my cost, including install?

Thanks!

"Currently, our system requires that at least 1 Joey also be installed with a Hopper. For a Hopper and Joey the one time upgrade fee would be a one time $100.
The upgrade will require a new 24 month commitment and credit card to qualify.
DVR fee would be $10 a month, plus $7 for each Joey on the account. Without the protection plan on the account, there is a one time $95 charge for install.
We can always add it on ($6/month) to discount the install to $15)

Hi XXXXX thanks for the reply.

Quite honestly - That offer is pathetic. I have 1 TV, I don't need a joey and certainly am not going to pay $7 month for one! I've been a loyal Dish customer for over 14 years, I haven't played games and jumped from service to service and have personally brought them over 6 other customers. Why should I pay Dish for what Directv will give me for free? They will give me what I want and with no out of pocket cost, only a 2 year commitment. If Dish wants to keep me as a customer they need to step up, otherwise I'm gone and I won't be coming back.

The $100 for the Hopper upgrade can not be waived. I can waive the $95 install for you. We work hard to balance our costs, be fair and provide the best customer service and offers. We are proud to have the lowest monthly fees in the industry. While we could raise our monthly fees in order to offer you a better receiver upgrade cost, we have chosen not to do this. Our average cost for both the technician visit and receiver is $500. DISH is pleased to be the only company to provide you with HD Free For Life, which will save you $120 this year and $600 over the next five years.

OK. I suppose I could live with the $100 Hopper fee but what about the Joey requirement?

The Joey requirement is something that I can not change, or bypass in our system

Thanks anyway - Looks like it's time to move on to a company that wants my business and cares more about what I need than silly requirements set in stone.

That's It.

I spoke with two different DIRT members and one said I had to have a joey and the other said I did not. One said I had to have AT200 or higher and the other said I could keep my existing dish america package. I wasn't able to get a straight answer.

The top 200 only matters for new customers.
Well like I said, inconsistent answers. They had my account number so they know my status. And i'm not the only one who got that info. Some people in this very thread were told to have at least AT120. Even got differing answers on the installation. I was told by one DIRT member that it would be $15 if I sign up for DHPP, the other told me it would be free. Not a big deal either way. I was also not happy about having to pay $200(or $300 depending on if I must have a joey or not) when others get them for $99 and I have a perfect account and no one could tell me why.

It's not an issue for me any more but it is very damn frustrating.

I agree. They have been very inconsistant. Very frustraing for everyone.

That sounds like the biggest understatement of the month. Now I know why DISH picked March 15th for their debut of the hopper. Just like in Ceaser's time they said : "Beware the Ides of March."

Just got off the phone with a foreign CSR.

1 hopper 2 joeys for 400 plus 95 install fee.

ridiculous.

DIRT member help?

I have the 200 channel package, and use auto pay

I contacted dish right at 7 am on the 15 and was excited to get the system installed. I said 99 bucks right? She said no it will be 300 bucks to upgrade. I asked for her supervisor who got really nasty with me after I asked him if he could lower it. He then said " dish is giving you a 300 dollar discount and that's a good discount" I then said kind of but it's like your paying half of a hopper cost. He then said how is dish not giving you a deal? He then proceeds to tell me that customers want to pay less for everything. After I hung up with him I tried online chat and 20 reps all told me that it was 300 bucks to upgrade. I did talk to one who told me 200 for everything but just as he was going to process it he realized he quoted me wrong. I said I want it for that price and he said no I made a mistake and can't do that. Everyone told. Every rep told me they needed payment up front for it. I contacted customer retentions who said they couldn't offer me a lower price but said they could bill it to my account and she did waive the 15.00 install fee. So I bit the bullet and upgraded. I talked to a dish manager who said they use a star system and each credit you ask for and get lowers your star rating. He said when you're a 5 star customer you get anything pretty much free.

Far cry from the $700 or $800 I was quoted. No rhyme or reason for the difference. As I've said I've been with Dish for 14.5 years.

The prices make sense to me based on there system. What I am unable to tell everyone is why they qualify for that price. It's not like all of these prices are made up. If you look at the thread with the upgrade pricing you'll be able to determine why you are paying that much.

Just got off the phone with a foreign CSR.

1 hopper 2 joeys for 400 plus 95 install fee.

ridiculous.

DIRT member help?

I have the 200 channel package, and use auto pay

Probably not going to do any good. $200 for the Hopper and $100 for each Joey plus the tech visit. Makes sense.

I contacted dish right at 7 am on the 15 and was excited to get the system installed. I said 99 bucks right? She said no it will be 300 bucks to upgrade. I asked for her supervisor who got really nasty with me after I asked him if he could lower it. He then said " dish is giving you a 300 dollar discount and that's a good discount" I then said kind of but it's like your paying half of a hopper cost. He then said how is dish not giving you a deal? He then proceeds to tell me that customers want to pay less for everything. After I hung up with him I tried online chat and 20 reps all told me that it was 300 bucks to upgrade. I did talk to one who told me 200 for everything but just as he was going to process it he realized he quoted me wrong. I said I want it for that price and he said no I made a mistake and can't do that. Everyone told. Every rep told me they needed payment up front for it. I contacted customer retentions who said they couldn't offer me a lower price but said they could bill it to my account and she did waive the 15.00 install fee. So I bit the bullet and upgraded. I talked to a dish manager who said they use a star system and each credit you ask for and get lowers your star rating. He said when you're a 5 star customer you get anything pretty much free.

There is so truth to what they told you. The reason that they don't do upgrades free for everyone is because every customer would do it every year and Dish would not make any money off it.

If they lower the for everyone to upgrade they're going to have to start charging new customers when they sign up in order to even things out. How could charging new customers to sign up help at all?

Makes no sense. If everyone was paying the same it would. But when some are getting upgraded for $100 and others are being told it would be hundreds for the sme setup, that makes no sense.

They are holding me hostage to the service plan. I purchase that for 4 months and then I can cancel it with no penalty. So it's $99 for the upgraade + 4 mos. service plan, works out to about another $30. Still beats paying the $95 for the install. Maybe when I am a 20 year customer I will get a better deal. 10+ years + autopay, does not cut it.

Makes no sense. If everyone was paying the same it would. But when some are getting upgraded for $100 and others are being told it would be hundreds for the sme setup, that makes no sense.

Which then causes the subs who are told outrageous amounts to upgrade, to then turn negative and feel like they are being discriminated against, which then causes more CHURN. Good idea on how to run a business.:rolleyes: Negative word of mouth can destroy a company . Look at Netflix and their stupid decision to hike their fees 60 % for dvd and streaming plans together.:eek:

I talked to a dish manager who said they use a star system and each credit you ask for and get lowers your star rating. He said when you're a 5 star customer you get anything pretty much free.

I can understand this if you're a problem customer or ask for free crap all the time... But I became a "3 star" customer thanks to an installer who screwed up initial my install and faulty equipment. Absolutely AWFUL.

I love how frequently this thread comes up in google searches for Hopper costs/fees.

In the business worl it makes sense. Think of it like an insurance company. Everybody pays different rates for insurance. Dish has each of their customers qualified in a certain way. Where ever you stand you pay the appropriate rate. Also, I don't think everyone is considering the different configurations. A person with 1 Hopper and 2 Joeys is going to pay less than a customer getting 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys.

The rules make perfect sense to me and it is laid out to everyone before they upgrade. The info is all posted on here. The only thing I don't know is how they are rating their customers. There are a lot of instances that don't make sense to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts