WSInternational

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 24, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Hi Guys...

Here is a question for you:

How much would you pay for a 6-foot Polar Mount Dish, considering the following:

1. Polar Mount!
2. Eventhough Polar Mount, NO pole included!
3. Must be used with a PMA24 Acutator Arm or a home made devise that will keep the dish at a fixed position. (Small bracket with just a few holes to fit the holes on a dish... Maybe a $5 item at home depot.....)

A: Stand Alone: $_____
B: Including DMX741 or DMX741U : $_____
C: Including DMX242 Dual C LNBF: $_____
D: Including DMX741 or DMX741U & PMA24 Actuator: $_____
E: Including DMX242 Dual C LNBF & a PMA24 Actuator: $_____

Could you post some pictures of the dish, assembly hardware, polar mount, etc? I also think most people are going to need a vbox...

Mine is a different type dish, but I am seriously considering a 6' Offset to replace my 4'

I priced a Prodelin Rx at $550 for a Polar mount at satcomresources.

I would use this strictly for Ku as I have enough BUDs.

I would probably use a Ball screw actuator if I do it

big question is the dish offset? Plenty of other prime focus dishes out there. if its offset, and a good price, then you'll be the only one selling these :)

Could you post some pictures of the dish, assembly hardware, polar mount, etc? I also think most people are going to need a vbox...

Here is some photos:

Polar mount 1 copy.png

Pictured is the back bracket of the 180cm C/Ku band dish & the Powermax PMA24 24" Actuator Arm

Polar mount 2 copy.png

Pictured is the back bracket of the 180cm C/Ku band dish & the Powermax PMA24 24" Actuator Arm

ws1870-reflector%20copy1121.png

big question is the dish offset? Plenty of other prime focus dishes out there. if its offset, and a good price, then you'll be the only one selling these

No.... The dish is prime focus. A 1.8M offset would be very costly. Since in most cases the reflector is all 1pc, keeping them warehoused and shipping is very difficult, considering they tend to get damaged very easily :( But, I hear you....

Last edited:
How about a polar mount for 120cm offset and prime focus dishes using an 18 inch actuator (if possible)? that is something I sure could use.

Well, for polar mounted dishes, new, are hard to find, and very spendy. To build one, lots of welding needed, which is a blinding profession, a spendy proposition for just one, but I would think well worth it from where you are at.

With motor arm 400.00, retail about 1K; shipping not included, without an arm, they were at 150.00 each before c band dishes hit the skidder plates... How bout a H to H motorized chain drive unit too? Must have 0 to at least 6 degrees of declination play for all areas, fine tune should also be bolt and strong, as well as easy to adjust and not load the moto arm like some designs. Your pics look like laser's old designs; bigger the ring, better it will work, i tink, and longer the tab where da moto arm assembly is held, and the stronger it is, for wind loads sress stuff...

Also, adaptibility would move it faster, that is, if it could be bolt and tabbed to any older dish designs; these old dishes are now very rusty mounts, and the bolts cannot move, anodized metals would be worth the extra money, so how bout two models, or three, for qualities sackiness,,,one for 6', one for 8'; one for the rest of many satellite dishes of old meshing style...

A Polar mount and arm: A must have for FTA or subbing C/KU Band dishes

Last edited:
It would be great if there was a magic number to satisfy all but that probably doesn't exist. Given that the polar mount 6ft dish is currently listed on the Galaxy Marketing website for 129.99 (which is a reasonable price), I'd think if you went down to 99.99, you would generate interest from people who might be on the fence. Of course don't let me stop you from going lower ;)

Seriously though, getting the dish is just the start as most would need the actuator and vbox and some would also need the LNB. Lastly, while out of your control, shipping a 6ft dish isn't probably a trivial expense

Robby, after reviewing the prices on the Galaxy Marketing website, I would have to say the prices are right about where I would expect to pay. The dish itself is a deal already at $129.00, add the mover at $45 and a LNBF starting at $20. All good.

I agree with richyrich about the thoughts of adapting new polar mounts to old dishes. Most were at least on poles with a O.D. of 3.5" to 4" which are larger than your model. Many of these mounts are nearly destroyed taking these down for salvage if not already suffering from decades of weather. It would be nice to have a few sizes available for those with various needs.

I have 3 commercial offset dishes in the yard and I like the heavy duty nature of construction. I personally prefer components over size but that costs money and especially in the shipping dept.

While a little off topic, I would love to see some C band offset design weather proof LNBFs available. The prime focus design work well especially with your scalar but there still is an weather issue with the feed pointing up.

Robby, after reviewing the prices on the Galaxy Marketing website, I would have to say the prices are right about where I would expect to pay. The dish itself is a deal already at $129.00, add the mover at $45 and a LNBF starting at $20. All good.

I have to agree also with the above ! I'd snatch one up in a Heartbeat . :D

Robbie, Don't forget I am local to ya. When u get these in at the Valley location let me know.

Here is some photos:

Polar mount 1 copy.png

Can you tell me the max size of the pole for that mount? 75mm?

No.... The dish is prime focus. A 1.8M offset would be very costly. Since in most cases the reflector is all 1pc, keeping them warehoused and shipping is very difficult, considering they tend to get damaged very easily :( But, I hear you....

How do you handle skew if you use the DMX741U?​

I guess I am not going to win extra friends with my answer, but the most I would pay for a 6 foot dish has been $15, $30 for 4.... used. Transportation was extra, but the trip itself has been part of the reward. My budget would not presently allow $129!

Robby, I like the looks of the whole mount assembly with acuator...
less the dish....Cost ????I know someone with a fixed dish who would love to motorize it...Blind

How about a polar mount for 120cm offset and prime focus dishes using an 18 inch actuator (if possible)? that is something I sure could use.

That's possible, but unfortunately not available in the USA, as of yet.

Robbie, Don't forget I am local to ya. When u get these in at the Valley location let me know.

I have a few at the Los Angles warehouse. Give us a call and come stop by anytime.

It would be great if there was a magic number to satisfy all but that probably doesn't exist. Given that the polar mount 6ft dish is currently listed on the Galaxy Marketing website for 129.99 (which is a reasonable price), I'd think if you went down to 99.99, you would generate interest from people who might be on the fence. Of course don't let me stop you from going lower

How about this number: http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/226869-6-foot-c-ku-band-prime.html
???

I like to see a 6ft dish with H to H motorized chain drive .

Yes, we have been getting a few inquiries about that lately as well. Have to put it on my list ;)

Also, pricing has been now posted: http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/226869-6-foot-c-ku-band-prime.html

Robby, please don't just put it on your list, source it ASAP...........lots of us really desire a H-H motor on a 6 footer BUD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)