How often do you reboot your box?

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
How often do you reboot your reciever? Id say mine is once every 2 or 3 weeks. This is just to get a feel for how often users have to reboot.

About once a month. Unless there are bad rain storms that cause me to lose the signal. Then sometimes the box will lock up if I try watching during the storm and I'll need to reboot to get it to work again. :no

Mine vary (two boxes)

Sometimes I go two or three weeks without a re-boot and sometimes it's 2 in one day. On average I guess it would be about once every three days.

I know some of it is caused by rapid channel surfing, but sometimes I haven't watched for a couple of days (upstairs TV) and then I turn it on and whammo.

I'm hoping the new software will fix this problem. Two weeks?

Mine is once a month, but the real question is how long does it take to get your Program info back? I had to reboot mine just about 20 minutes ago and still no info.

LOBO2999 said:
Mine is once a month, but the real question is how long does it take to get your Program info back? I had to reboot mine just about 20 minutes ago and still no info.

To get Program Guide information the fastest:

Step 1: Put Remote in a drawer and don't use it.
Step 2: Hold power button in for 10 seconds or unplug box
Step 2a: (If you unplugged the box, then wait 30 seconds before plugging in again)
Step 3: After 60 seconds press and release the power button to turn on the box.

DO NOT PRESS ANY BUTTONS ON BOX OR REMOTE FOR 10 MINUTES EVEN IF THE SATELLITE ICON IS GREEN.

Step 4: Hit the Info button on remote and see if you have Program Guide info.

Works for me everytime.

Since latest software, I've only had to reboot once. But I've learned not to flip too fast. Having to choose between the two is stupid, but that's the life we chose.

squicken said:
Since latest software, I've only had to reboot once. But I've learned not to flip too fast. Having to choose between the two is stupid, but that's the life we chose.
I never flip through the channels quickly. I rarely flip through at all because I dont have them memorized and can usually find what I want quicker off my favorites list. So my lock ups are never caused from that.

I also don't watch during storms, since it only rains here (if at all) at night. That's Tivo time for me. So no rain related storms.

How do we get one of those "never" boxes? I pay my bill on time, I want one of those. Well 2 of them please :D

Never. Just lucky, I guess. It has been here since January. Paid $749 as a charter member, and Voom rebated $300 of that. They never asked me to be part of the 'box swap' that occurred in Feb/March, and I never switched to the lease program.

This is one area where it pays to be slow-witted with a slow-moving thumb; perfect for me.

Never needed to reboot my STB. I also don't see some of the issues that people complain about on there STB's either.
One thing I do, do, is turn off my STB at night or whenever I am not watching it. Maybe thats the ticket? :shrug:

I can make my box lock up by scrolling through the channel guide very fast using the arrow keys just about everytime, on ver 6 it seems i can duplicate it too by just going to the system status menus

If it rains or there is a dark cloud I loose my sat. It rained everyday for the 1st 6 weeks I got VAVAVOOM, several times a day and night too. I have very week OTA and when that acts up I also loose my signal. These problems cause me to have to reboot often.several times a day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)