How often does my 622 phone home?

SHADO 1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 4, 2006
St. louis
I just got measured phone service to keep my DSL line. I get 25 free calls a month, but then get charged $.08 cents per call after that. How often does the dish receiver call home, and what if I disconnect it? I never purchase movies or VOD, so what would happen?

My 622 only calls in once/month. I checked today and the last time it called in was 25 May. If you unhook the phone line you will get a nag saying you will be charged $5/month or something like that.

Sorry, forgot to note. I think it also calls in when you use some of the features on Dish Home (if applicable).

It call a "800" number anyway so that shouldn't affect your measured service.
Unless things have changed measured service is LOCAL calls.

lakebum431 said:
Yeah, I think it is approx 1 time per month, unless you are ordering PPV's
I believe it calls in once per month, whether or not PPV has been ordered.:cool:

You sure? I thought that it called in more than that depending what you ordered. Isn't there a dollar limit or something? Like when people order some of the larger PPVs (ie fights)?

The more you order PPV or VOD the more it calls in, If you never order anything I am not sure how offen it calls in. I don't think dish want's people to know how offen it does calls in. It checks for a phone line ever night.

You can always leave the phone line unplugged until you see a nag screen, then plug it in, let it phone home, then unplug it again. that way, you'll have some control over it...

Are you sure dish does not call your receiver. That is what I was told back in 97 when I first connected up with dish.

Yes, I'm sure that dish doesn't call the receiver. Think about how this would work. If it called your number the phones would ring.

I have VOIP and checking my call logs I see 30-40 outgoing calls to dish in the past 3 days. Before I had my 622 I would see at least 1 or 2 calls a day. I also have a 625 so I don't know which receiver is making all of the calls.

If your 622 does not contact dish at least once every billing cycle you will get charged for the extra tuner. I had this happen. One of my 622's had its power strip tripped, no electricity, no phoning home... Did not realize it until I saw the $5 charge. It was a pain but they eventually took the charge off.

dish can manually send a message via sat to request the box to call in. but normally with no ppv use approx every 2wks. but if you use ppv then its as soon as you reach a preset dollar amount (that varies set by your account criteria ie; spending limits subscription level)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)