How painless and quick was your "move"?

dead3ye

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Central PA
I'm considering "moving" from the Harrisburg DMA to somewhere in the Washington DC/Harrisburg DMA.

I was wondering how quick the move is and how long it takes to get the new locals activated. Of coarse my phone number will not change and I'm looking at upgrading to a Vip211.

Is there anything I need to do in advance or answers to questions that might come up?

Make sure your move is to an address in Chambersburg, PA.
Tell them you need to keep the same billing address and are only changing the service address. Can tell them it's a hunting cabin or something like that.

My "move" went easy enough. Moved from my Dad's address in the Atlanta DMA to Chambersburg for two reasons.
1) Atlanta going to spotbeam
2) Wife wanted Harrisburg locals for local news and weather.

When I called for the move, the CSR even asked if I wanted to keep my Denver and L.A. locals (had waivers for ABC, CBS, and Fox). :D
btw, Chambersburg qualifies for those 3 anyway. WHAG in Hagerstown prevents it from qualifying for NBC.

Within half an hour I had the Washington/Harrisburg locals. Both sets were even mapped down correctly. Plethra of locals in there.

The only problem was when the CSR added the Washinton/Harrisburg locals, she forgot to remove the Atlanta ones. I found this out a couple days later on my bill. I called and then had the Atlanta locals removed, as to kill the billing for the extra locals.

Don't have a 211 or 622 yet, so can't say how well they work. But the Dish Network address qualifier shows Chambersburg gets the big 4 networks in HD from Washington.

Last edited:
Derwin0 said:
Tell them you need to keep the same billing address and are only changing the service address. Can tell them it's a hunting cabin or something like that.

My "move" went easy enough. Moved from my Dad's address in the Atlanta DMA to Chambersburg for two reasons.

When I called for the move, the CSR even asked if I wanted to keep my Denver and L.A. locals (had waivers for ABC, CBS, and Fox). :D
btw, Chambersburg qualifies for those 3 anyway. WHAG in Hagerstown prevents it from qualifying for NBC.

Within half an hour I had the Washington/Harrisburg locals. Both sets were even mapped down correctly. Plethra of locals in there.

The only problem was when the CSR added the Washinton/Harrisburg locals, she forgot to remove the Atlanta ones. I found this out a couple days later on my bill. I called and then had the Atlanta locals removed, as to kill the billing for the extra locals.

Don't have a 211 or 622 yet, so can't say how well they work. But the Dish Network address qualifier shows Chambersburg gets the big 4 networks in HD from Washington.

Where did you hear ATL was going to spotbeam??

Derwin0 said:

I was thinking of moving to Waynesboro. I get the Harrisburg locals now, so I won't have to remove my existing locals.

I get the LA stations now. So if I move to Waynesboro, I'm going to loose my LA NBC feed? I would like to keep all 4 if I could.

256HDfan said:
Where did you hear ATL was going to spotbeam??
They announced it on the retailer chat, that Atlanta would no longer be offered as a distant, and people with Atlanta DNS will be switched to New York DNS when E10 is up and running.

Anyone done several "moves"? Since I cant get 129, I am thinking of moving to either NYC, Boston, DC, or Phili. Not sure which would be the best choice, but once Detroit HD locals go up (hopefully on E10) I will want to move back. Should I not bother to move now, and just wait? Dont want to send any red flags with a couple of moves in short time frame.

Of course this "move" would only be for a month or two "consulting" job :)

Derwin0 said:
They announced it on the retailer chat, that Atlanta would no longer be offered as a distant, and people with Atlanta DNS will be switched to New York DNS when E10 is up and running.

I have never heard of this...can anyone else confirm???

Considering the fact that they STILL show my physical address as the place I lived 4 years ago, even though I moved my mailing address AND I told them they had the wrong address a few years later when I called to change a receiver...I can't imagine it's too hard to pull one over on them.

I moved from the DC area to rural NY with no problems. Just told them I wanted to change my service address but keep my billing address the same. Did not need to give them any reason why and they did not ask. I added the NY and LA stations. All happened pretty much instantly. Now if they would just let me get them in HD.

OK I'm getting confused. I did my "move" south today. I moved from the Harrisburg DMA to the Washington DC/Harrisburg DMA. The CSR confirmed my change of service address and I though everything was good

When I tried to view my locals they were not there, even the Harrisburg locals I was already getting.

So I called tech support this time and asked what was up. He noticed that I changed my address. I said that I did but that I hadn't moved my receivers yet that they were still at my billing address and that I would be moving them in the next week. ;)

He asked about how far the move was and I told him about 100 miles south. He told me that I wasn't getting any of them because I was out of the spotbeam. At that point he said he could set my address back and when I physically moved them to change to the new address then. I had my Harrisburg locals back in 3 mins.

From what I know, the Harrisburg locals will be on the same spotbeam whether I'm here or there, and the DC local's spotbeam covers my current area as well. I know this because an area that would be to the north of me is on the same spotbeam as the DC locals.

Is E* getting smart with these change of address' everybody doing?

dead3ye said:
OK I'm getting confused. I did my "move" south today. I moved from the Harrisburg DMA to the Washington DC/Harrisburg DMA. The CSR confirmed my change of service address and I though everything was good

When I tried to view my locals they were not there, even the Harrisburg locals I was already getting.

So I called tech support this time and asked what was up. He noticed that I changed my address. I said that I did but that I hadn't moved my receivers yet that they were still at my billing address and that I would be moving them in the next week. ;)

He asked about how far the move was and I told him about 100 miles south. He told me that I wasn't getting any of them because I was out of the spotbeam. At that point he said he could set my address back and when I physically moved them to change to the new address then. I had my Harrisburg locals back in 3 mins.

From what I know, the Harrisburg locals will be on the same spotbeam whether I'm here or there, and the DC local's spotbeam covers my current area as well. I know this because an area that would be to the north of me is on the same spotbeam as the DC locals.

I think Dish doesn't personally care. They aren't losing anything.

dead3ye said:

When you move, you need to go to your online account. It will show you as eligible for the locals in the area you "moved" to. Select add prgramming and add the channels and they will come on right away. You must call and cancel your old local package, or you will be charged extra for it. Cancel it unless you want to keep them and pay for them.

256HDfan said:
When you move, you need to go to your online account. It will show you as eligible for the locals in the area you "moved" to. Select add prgramming and add the channels and they will come on right away. You must call and cancel your old local package, or you will be charged extra for it. Cancel it unless you want to keep them and pay for them.

OK...:confused: Why didn't the first CSR activate my new locals when I changed my address? I can't remember what was said verbatim during the 45 minute phone call, but i believe i told her I wanted the locals at the new address.

Anybody have a theory on the tech guy's explantion on the spotbeam?

Sounds like when they processed the "move", they dropped your locals and didn't add the new locals.

Just try again, and hope you get a more competant CSR this time.

Well, I can't move now until I get my 622. I'll wait till it comes and they install it. I have an install date on 4/9. I'll be moving again shortly after that.

Is there anyway to install a 622 myself and get it activated before the install date and then just cancel the install? I already have all the hardware needed to do the install myself and really don't feel like waiting.

dead3ye said:
Well, I can't move now until I get my 622. I'll wait till it comes and they install it. I have an install date on 4/9. I'll be moving again shortly after that.

Is there anyway to install a 622 myself and get it activated before the install date and then just cancel the install? I already have all the hardware needed to do the install myself and really don't feel like waiting.

Yes...Just call them and tell them you will install yourself..They should then ship you the receiver.

256HDfan said:
Yes...Just call them and tell them you will install yourself..They should then ship you the receiver.

See, both CSRs I spoke to said that they won't just ship the 622 under the "Dish'n It Up" program (I'm upgrading from an 811) without an install appointment. This was even after I told both CSRs that I already had the proper dish and LNBs installed that all I needed was the 622. They said that I could hook it up, but it wouldn't be activated until a tech called in and said it was installed.

I'm almost positive they are going to want to install a Dish1000. I'm also pretty sure that I can't see 129 from my location (central PA), plus the angle is going to be so low that it won't go over some of my neighbor's trees. My Dish 500 barely makes it over them. I should just let them install the 1000 to see if I can indeed see 129. I will still need 61.5 to get the NY CBSHD that I get now.

It'll be hard to let the 622 sit there for a week while I'm waiting for my install date.

I'm almost positive they are going to want to install a Dish1000. I'm also pretty sure that I can't see 129 from my location (central PA)
Harrisburg is considered a non-1000 market so they will put up a 61.5 dish.

If i were to "move" would i automatically lose my current local dma of johnstown/altoona pa? I currently also have nyc and la distants. I am looking at moving to the nyc area as to pick up the nyc locals and hd locals and drop the nyc distants. I would like to keep the johnstown/altoona locals so i can keep the wife happy so she can keep up on the local news.