How smart are timers?

cornflakes

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 9, 2005
Hi everyone... Does anyone know how smart the timers are on VIP 622 and VIP 922? I'm assuming that they use the same methods for determining priorities and all, but if there are differences between the 622 and 922, please let me know...

So here's a situation... Let's say I have these shows that I'm recording... and in this order of priority:

1. The Simpsons (Reruns & New)
2. The Soup (New Only)
3. Law & Order: SVU (New Only)
4. Top Chef (New Only)

Now, the same episode of The Soup and Top Chef airs multiple times throughout the week (new episodes of Top Chef actually repeat back-to-back on Wednesday nights).

Let's say, all 4 shows (all new episodes, except the Simpsons, which is a rerun) are on at the same time... I'm assuming it'll record The Simpsons and The Soup based on priority.

1. Will the DVR know to catch a repeat of the new episode of Top Chef that airs at a later time, or would that be considered a rerun and not get recorded?

2. Without knowing ahead of time that The Soup and Top Chef airs multiple times (let's say I'm new to those shows and don't know their schedule), is there a way the DVR can figure out, Law & Order: SVU should take priority because it only has 1 chance at recording a new episode, and multiple chances with The Soup and Top Chef?

I think I'm asking for too much on #2... but what about #1?

Thanks!

Actually, on a 622, dish timers definitely do #1.

For example, new episodes of "The Daily Show" air four times a day, so I keep that as a lower priority than Lost, 24, etc.

The 622 always catches "The Daily Show" even though only the first showing has the "new" designation, even if it has priority clashes for the first three showings, it will catch the 4th one.

This also works if you manually "skip" a showing of "The Daily Show", in order to catch a lower priority show that only has one showing. So, you can do #2 yourself manually, even though the 622 will not do that automatically.

Similarly, I always manually "skip" the early evening censored showing of "Art Mann Presents", in order for the 622 to record the later uncensored showing. ;)

I have never used a 922, so I cannot comment on that receiver.

The 622 always catches "The Daily Show" even though only the first showing has the "new" designation, even if it has priority clashes for the first three showings, it will catch the 4th one.

Thanks! That's good to know... That'll make scheduling a bit easier!

Hi everyone... Does anyone know how smart the timers are on VIP 622 and VIP 922? I'm assuming that they use the same methods for determining priorities and all, but if there are differences between the 622 and 922, please let me know...

So here's a situation... Let's say I have these shows that I'm recording... and in this order of priority:

1. The Simpsons (Reruns & New)
2. The Soup (New Only)
3. Law & Order: SVU (New Only)
4. Top Chef (New Only)

Now, the same episode of The Soup and Top Chef airs multiple times throughout the week (new episodes of Top Chef actually repeat back-to-back on Wednesday nights).

Let's say, all 4 shows (all new episodes, except the Simpsons, which is a rerun) are on at the same time... I'm assuming it'll record The Simpsons and The Soup based on priority.

1. Will the DVR know to catch a repeat of the new episode of Top Chef that airs at a later time, or would that be considered a rerun and not get recorded?

2. Without knowing ahead of time that The Soup and Top Chef airs multiple times (let's say I'm new to those shows and don't know their schedule), is there a way the DVR can figure out, Law & Order: SVU should take priority because it only has 1 chance at recording a new episode, and multiple chances with The Soup and Top Chef?

I think I'm asking for too much on #2... but what about #1?

Thanks!

The priority is everything w/ E* timers. It will record what is listed 1st if at the same time. You will loose out on the 1 time only if it is set at the same time but a lower priority.

hang up calles from dish

Puerto Rico signal readings comparing old echo 7 vs echo 14

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)