How the Fox network shook up TV in 1987

I am surprised after all these years they still only have 2 hours of primetime most nights (3 on Sunday). Those first few years I remember thinking if they lasted to 15 years they would equal the other big 3 in primetime hours by then.

I am surprised after all these years they still only have 2 hours of primetime most nights (3 on Sunday). Those first few years I remember thinking if they lasted to 15 years they would equal the other big 3 in primetime hours by then.

My understanding is that the Fox O&OS and affilaites were used to running their late news at 10 PM ET with no competition from stations aligned with the Big three.

I find it weird when I go to the East coast to have Primetime run to 11pm. Before DVR's I would have never have watched anything in the last hour if I lived in the east coast. I know our Fox station pushes that they have the news at 9pm but it just doesn't really have that punch like it would for east coast situation.

The author is entited to his option, but his "Top 10" leads me to believe he is off his rocker.

O.C.? It ran for like 3-season before getting yanked.
The Ben Stiller Show? (Ben Stiller had a show on Fox?)
Undeclared? Really!
Malcolm in the Middle (I disagree)
There was a show called Firefly on Fox?

Definite Top 10 Shows:
Married with Children (started with Fox and ran for 11 seasons)
The '70s Show (I didn't watch it, but I know plenty who did)
House (good show ending a long run on Fox)
American Idol (I can't stand it, but it's their highest rated show)

How come no one mentioned the show that really launched the Fox Network--------The Late Show Starring Joan Rivers. Which, BTW started in '86 not '87.

Last edited:
Not to mention a couple of the original shows that opened the gates for a lot of 90's TV; Tracy Ullman and In Living Color. Bones is another long surviving show that I still watch (although it is also nearing the end)

Yeah, I just noticed that House was pulling in close to 20M viewers in its prime. Those are NCIS numbers. Hard to imagine it being left off and Fox Top 10 list. Yep, and In Living Color launched a number of careers.

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys App

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)