How things have changed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Another small Cable Company giving up on video-

“Cable TV subscriber counts are on a steep decline as customers move to streaming video. Cable TV is a courtesy we have provided only to certain customers in select areas, while customers in all parts of our service area rely heavily on us for Internet and telephone services. Cable TV makes up only about 10 percent of the Cooperative’s active customer connections today. Traditional cable television services are no longer a sustainable option for small communities.”

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I heard yesterday that cable for video will be finished in 5 years or less. They are saying that a whole lot of channels will go under since no one is really watching them anymore and to save costs the owners will shut them down. Especially when ESPN goes to streaming in 2025, because that sports pack is what holds the cable bundle together. Without it there is no reason to keep cable, except for internet.

Reactions: dishdude
I heard yesterday that cable for video will be finished in 5 years or less.
If Comcast continues to lose at the same pace, 600,000 a quarter, that is 2.4 million a year, so in 5 years, that is over 10 million gone and video for them, it will definitely be unprofitable well before that.

They are saying that a whole lot of channels will go under since no one is really watching them anymore and to save costs the owners will shut them down.

That is a tough one, since the majority of channels are nothing but reruns, they could still be making money with the per sub fee, but advertising is way down, I would assume in about 2 years, after another 16 million are gone from paid live tv, then we will see channel shut downs.

Definitely the RSNs, those are already starting to shut down, Bally’s San Diego is the first.

Especially when ESPN goes to streaming in 2025, because that sports pack is what holds the cable bundle together. Without it there is no reason to keep cable, except for internet.

It will not go streaming only, it will co-exist with the cable channel, by the time it starts up, Cable/Sat/streaming Live TV will still have about 50 million subscribers.

Since ESPN 1 and 2 gets $11 every month in per sub fees, that is still $550 million a month or $6.6 billion a year, no way they will give that up.

Then the ad money money it gets also.

Last edited:
If Comcast continues to lose at the same pace, 600,000 a quarter, that is 2.4 million a year, so in 5 years, that is over 10 million gone and video for them, it will definitely be unprofitable well before that.

That is a tough one, since the majority of channels are nothing but reruns, they could still be making money with the per sub fee, but advertising is way down, I would assume in about 2 years, after another 16 million are gone from paid live tv, then we will see channel shut downs.

Definitely the RSNs, those are already starting to shut down, Bally’s San Diego is the first.

It will not go streaming only, it will co-exist with the cable channel, by the time it starts up, Cable/Sat/streaming Live TV will still have about 50 million subscribers.

Since ESPN 1 and 2 gets $11 every month in per sub fees, that is still $550 million a month or $6.6 million a year, no way they will give that up.

Then the ad money money it gets also.
I think you meant $6.6 billion a year! :)

Another small Cable Company giving up on video-

“Cable TV subscriber counts are on a steep decline as customers move to streaming video. Cable TV is a courtesy we have provided only to certain customers in select areas, while customers in all parts of our service area rely heavily on us for Internet and telephone services. Cable TV makes up only about 10 percent of the Cooperative’s active customer connections today. Traditional cable television services are no longer a sustainable option for small communities.”

Posted that back in February

I heard yesterday that cable for video will be finished in 5 years or less. They are saying that a whole lot of channels will go under since no one is really watching them anymore and to save costs the owners will shut them down.
There will be a lot of channels disappearing; shopping, religious, repetitive channels like just about everything in the A&E bundle, junk channels like Bravo, so-called "Outdoor" (fishing/hunting) channels, and game show channels to mention a few. The TV industry is in for the biggest shakeup in it's history as it's fundamental revenue model is rapidly disintegrating. The current RSN mess is a glaring portent of things to come. To quote Bette Davis, "Fasten your seatbelts; it's going to be a bumpy night."

Once again, streaming gains over paid Live TV in June.
One of the reasons is kids out of school, but the bad side is another generation is being taught not to care about Traditional Live TV.

Since just April, Paid Live TV went from 31.5 to 30.6, Broadcast 23.1 to 20.8.

While streaming gained 34.0 to 37.7.
IMG_0945.jpeg

20.8 + 30.6 = 51.4

51.4 > 37.7

Both network and "cable" are, umm, "paid live TV".

Try again.
Broadcast is also OTA, since 60 Million and increasing Households do not have a Paid Live TV service, how do you believe they are receiving those channels?

And both numbers are shrinking while streaming is going up.

I have always posted 2023 and 2024 will be a transition time, by the end of 2024, we will know who/what will survive.

Traditional Live TV Providers have a limited time to correct thing, since by the end of 2024 they will lose another 16 Million subscribers, but they seem to keep doing what is driving customers away, less and less new content and keep raising prices to unaffordable levels.

As I posted before, the largest Live TV Provider, Comcast, is having their second price increase of the year, raising Broadcast and RSN fees, so now if you have a Box, DVR, all those other fees, like franchise, along with Broadcast/RSN, that is roughly $70 in fees alone, before programing.

Explains why they are now losing over 600,000 TV subs in a quarter.

Broadcast is also OTA, since 60 Million and increasing Households do not have a Paid Live TV service, how do you believe they are receiving those channels?

And both numbers are shrinking while streaming is going up.

I have always posted 2023 and 2024 will be a transition time, by the end of 2024, we will know who/what will survive.

Traditional Live TV Providers have a limited time to correct thing, since by the end of 2024 they will lose another 16 Million subscribers, but they seem to keep doing what is driving customers away, less and less new content and keep raising prices to unaffordable levels.

As I posted before, the largest Live TV Provider, Comcast, is having their second price increase of the year, raising Broadcast and RSN fees, so now if you have a Box, DVR, all those other fees, like franchise, along with Broadcast/RSN, that is roughly $70 in fees alone, before programing.

Explains why they are now losing over 600,000 TV subs in a quarter.
I know of several people that just watch OTA and free streaming services now. With thousands of free channels and many different channel apps, many feel why pay for cable/satellite TV? For years people paid for commercial channels like USA, TV Land, etc and now many of those have free streaming versions. Laff (OTA) now has Laff More as a streaming service. If a viewer doesn't have ION OTA, as I do not, ION now has most of their OTA channels streaming in one form or another. What will it be in another 5 years?

Almost Half of Internet Users Say They Watch Little to No Broadcast TV Anymore, that half of internet users say they watch more than four hours of streaming TV in a typical day.

Cord cutting is reaching an all-time high. A recent report by Ampere Analysis took a look at the viewing habits of 54,000 adults ranging from ages 18 to 64. The report shows the number of audiences watching significantly less linear television (traditional cable TV-style programming) or none at all has grown from 22% to 45% over the last two years.

That is one heck of a trend.

YouTube and Netflix have more daytime viewing than ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC. Amazon Hulu has more than NBC and FOX. Lastly, Amazon has more viewership than FOX.

It is also interesting to see many free streaming services like Pluto TV, Tubi, and The Roku Channel out performing many major cable networks, including ESPN, TNT, HGTV, and more.

Disney+ is even out performing many news channels including Fox News and MSNBC.

• YouTube (no live TV) 4.8
  • Netflix 4.5
  • ABC 2.5
  • CBS 2.1
  • Hulu (no live TV) 2.0
  • NBC 1.8
  • Amazon Prime 1.8
  • Fox 1.5
  • Disney+ 1.1
  • Fox News 1.1
  • MSNBC 0.8
  • Max 0.8
  • Tubi 0.8
  • ION 0.7
  • Peacock 0.6
  • Roku 0.6
  • Paramount+ 0.6
  • PlutoTV 0.5
  • ESPN 0.5
  • CNN 0.5
  • Univision 0.5
  • MeTV 0.5
  • HGTV 0.4
  • Hallmark 0.4
  • Telemundo 0.4
  • INSP 0.4
  • Food Network 0.4
  • USA 0.4
  • TNT 0.4
  • CW 0.4
  • Investigation Discovery 0.4
  • History 0.3
  • TVLand 0.3

Yet you believe in another thread that 100s of Ms of people will pay for it a la carte.
Why are you are constantly making this about me, then posting falsehoods about what
I post, specially since I never wrote that.

Once again, you love to make this switchover to streaming about me, make up lies about what I post and never debate with any type of prove.

Citation needed.
Umm, no, this is just me, and about 5 other posters including Juan, making fun of people who don't know very much about the entertainment industry. If this were an academic exercise, we, and not you, would be the ones teaching.

But since you asked, here is the post, among the most uninformed opinions we have seen, even here.

Please, learn something about this business. This is a GREAT board. You can learn a lot here.

Maybe even that games on ESPN+ (Ball State-Ohio) don't have "much better ratings" than games on ESPN (Alabama-Tennessee).

It is sad, really.

Umm, no, this is just me, and about 5 other posters including Juan, making fun of people who don't know very much about the entertainment industry. If this were an academic exercise, we, and not you, would be the ones teaching.

But since you asked, here is the post, among the most uninformed opinions we have seen, even here.
And here is what I posted, where did I claim 100 million of subs for ESPN as you posted, talk about uninformed, my math adds up, where am I incorrect?

You are forgetting that ESPN+ has 25 Million Subscribers, much better then the ratings for ESPN.

If they can switchover that to regular ESPN, raise the price to $15, that is $375 Million a month, along with 50 Million Live TV subscribers, at $11 a month in per sub fees, that is $550 million a month.

Today, they are only making ($11 times 68 million Live TV subs), $748 Million a month, so a gain of $177 Million.