how to aim at the 72.5

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Busterw

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
I'm trying to connect a single LNB to a 4x4 multi switch so I can get locals. I also have a dual LNB used for the networks.

I've got the single LNB connected directly to my receiver trying to get aimed on the 72.5 bird. However, I'm not quite sure how. All I can do is get aimed up on the 101 with all transponders showing good signal strength. In another thread I was told to use the receivers signal meters on the 101 to aim is so only even transponders are peaked and the odds are at 0. I can't figure out how to do this. If I lose the odds, I also lose the evens. My main dual lnb dish is pointed at the 101 and is aimed in a SW direction. Does the one for locals also get aimed in a SW direction and does it need the same elevation as the other dish?

Thanks!
Buster

What kind of recievers do you have? Some of them like the HR20 have the option to setup with the 72.5 some don't. What is your zip code? I can get your dish setting off my recv for your zipcode

I'm using a basic receiver. I'm located 150 miles from home at a relatives for a week, my home zip is 31211. I'm trying to grab my home local channels.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Buster

Sorry the zipcode of where you are at, I should have been more specific. You get locals from Macon? If you're 150 miles away you may or may not be under that spot beam any longer but we can try.

Settings for the 72.5 dish at 31211 as follows:

Azimuth: 160
Elevation: 50

Those are a starting point, you may have to play with it a little.

My hometown is 31211. I'm in 30732 trying to get signal. Is azmuth the roation of the dish around the mounting pole? If so, how do I know when I'm on the right setting as the pole doesn't have tick marks for that as the dish has tick marks for elevation.

Thanks!
Buster

Without a meter it won't be easy, got a compass?

If it's a D11 box or older (not sure if the D12 have it) they don't have the option to enable the 72.5 from the setup menu like the DVR or the HD boxes do. You'd have to run autoconfiguration from the setup menu, and you don't want to really do that without having that dish tuned in. If you have the 101 tuned in it won't hurt it, but you may have to run auto config several times as you adjust that dish, until it picks it up. Sucks that there is no meter in the menu for that bird until AFTER it's found it. Once it found it though it should have a meter for the 72.5 in the menu that you can fine tune with.

Menu > Settings > Setup > Satellite > Auto Configuration

I have a Garm 60CSx GPS that has a compas on it. Will that work?

Oh, and it's a D11 receiver. So is the 160 azimuth the degree I need to have my compass set to in order to get started?

Also, the other dish's elevation is currently at 52.5 and getting signal on the 101 only. Do both dishes get the same elevation hitting different birds?

Thanks yet again!
Buster

Last edited:
Well I got it. I used my GPS and put it on 160. kept the elevation how I had it at 52.5. Ran auto-config and it grabbed it. Had to turn the dish ever so slightly to tweak and it's done.

Thanks so much for your help!
Buster

Yep, I surely did. I just set my elevation at what the primary dish was set at, 52.5 rather than the 50 you said to start with.

Thanks so much for your help!

Buster

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts