How to answer this question on Dish application questions?

Also, as I understand it, when you start with DNS you are paid by the hour unlike DirecTV where you are paid per job, so that DNS is the best place to start for beginners?

Because You "failed" the test doesn't mean anything. In todays job market 90% of all jobs are filled before they they are listed anywhere. Most jobs are found by networking, if you want to work for dish stop a dish net truck and ask the tech his supervisors name, then call him and talk with him about what it is like to be a tech (not if there are any jobs available). Thank when you are done then send thank-you note, and friendly reminder. If the guy likes you he will figure a way to get you hired.

Tony you are brave even addressing this post. One would think you are risking a Charlie initiated "smack down" from your "superiors." We seem to like you on this forum and would miss you greatly if you were unexpectedly shipped off to Siberia :).

:eek: Siberia?!? REALLY!?! That would be SWEET! :D

The answers on the test, from what I understand, are about consistency. If you consistently answer the questions the same, regardless of how they are phrased, then you pass it (at least, that is what I remember). I jumped on board with DISH at a Job Fair. Got to do all the tests and everything in the HR department, including the little "phone" exam (which has prevented people I know from working here).

Yes DNS is hourly, BTW. They also get bonuses based on number of jobs completed (ranked on points I think) versus number of trouble calls created within 12 and 30 day periods. Contractors are 'piece work' for the most part, but it is depending on the company.

Last edited:
Because You "failed" the test doesn't mean anything. In todays job market 90% of all jobs are filled before they they are listed anywhere. Most jobs are found by networking, if you want to work for dish stop a dish net truck and ask the tech his supervisors name, then call him and talk with him about what it is like to be a tech (not if there are any jobs available). Thank when you are done then send thank-you note, and friendly reminder. If the guy likes you he will figure a way to get you hired.

That's cool, thank you.

:eek: Siberia?!? REALLY!?! That would be SWEET! :D

The answers on the test, from what I understand, are about consistency. If you consistently answer the questions the same, regardless of how they are phrased, then you pass it (at least, that is what I remember). I jumped on board with DISH at a Job Fair. Got to do all the tests and everything in the HR department, including the little "phone" exam (which has prevented people I know from working here).

Yes DNS is hourly, BTW. They also get bonuses based on number of jobs completed (ranked on points I think) versus number of trouble calls created within 12 and 30 day periods. Contractors are 'piece work' for the most part, but it is depending on the company.

Well, of course, I was speaking figuratively or metaphorically. But as General Olav said to Christopher Walken in the James Bond film A View to a Kill, (thick Russian accent) "Nobody leaves the KGB!"

Dish will be sending you to one of the few hundred Block Buster stores they are keeping, and that is Dish Siberia. :).

LOL. Got it. Well, the upbeat side of that is that hey... No need for DVR on DVDs... HAHAHA. Just kidding ***Looking for lightning bolts***

The install standards can't be too high, I mean, it's Siberia. Maybe I'll go with you, or just send all these guys who already install with low standards. All you'll need then is a northern arc of satellites to get coverage

Since it's kind of hard to run across a DNS truck randomly, do you think it would work if I just called the local DNS place and ask them what the job was like?

I found a random comcast guy and asked for the supervisor name and he said "no, it's not like the old days where 'here's a friend that I know'..."

Just curious if anyone has ever got onto Dish before the 180days when you can "retake" the test. Would be nice to assess what was not "algorithm friendly", but not from a cheating point-of-view. Think it probably a school question that triggered a red flag.

Also read a 300 or so page DNS Training .pdf 1 week prior, this is depressing.