How to avoid the $100 61.5 Dish fee

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cooldog

Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
There have been a lot of complaints regarding the $100 fee that Dish charges to install a new sat dish at 61.5 for those who want to receive the 10 Voom channels that Dish is currently carrying there.

As a new customer, assuming that you want to sign up for a package that includes locals, and that you are in a DMA (market area) that has one or more locals on the satellite at 61.5, you can avoid this $100 fee.

You can find out if your DMA has locals at 61.5 here: ARRGGHH! Can't post a link - I'm too new! So, Google the following bunch of words, and follow the first link: has several clauses ALLOWING (not mandating) DBS companies to carry

The problem is that their ordering system has no way to give a new signup Voom, without charging them $100. Just no way at all. However, if as an existing customer you already have the dish at 61.5 for locals, *adding* Voom does not result in an installation fee.

Here's how to avoid the fee:

1) Do NOT sign up for Voom during the initial call. Just get the programming including the locals, and the hardware you need. Make sure that they are going to install the 61.5 antenna. Be sure that they are giving you all the current promotions. As far as I know, there really are no special "Voom" promotions --- what they offer is open to anybody.

2) AFTER your system is installed and activated, call back (or go online, I suppose) and add the Voom channels to your programming. It should be $5.00 per month. The HD pack is the thing with the promotion, and it should still be free for 6 months.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Welcome to the forum, cooldog!

cooldog said:
The problem is that their ordering system has no way to give a new signup Voom, without charging them $100. Just no way at all.
I don't know about that. If you go to their Order Online procedure on the web site and follow the prompts, at Step 3 it will tell you if you qualify for a free second dish based on your locals. Make sure to select this option if you qualify. Then select your package including VOOM and the $100 fee will not be included. On the other hand, if you skip that check box ("Yes, I would like to receive a second satellite dish") and simply select VOOM package, the $100 fee will be included.

I haven't tried that, but I think the same trick should work if you place your order over the phone. Just make sure to discuss your local package and confirm that you qualify for a free second dish before you discuss your VOOM package! ;)

Well, I couldn't get the hardware I wanted via the online signup so I had to call. I did order the package with the locals first, and added voom last. After a frustrating time with a CSR regarding the fee, I transferred to a supervisor who told me they simply had no way to enter the order without the fee. After kicking it around with him, and telling him how absurd that was, I came up with the idea that I outlined in my first post, and he said it would work.

He didn't seem to care about the extra $100 either way ... so I believe what he told me.

1st dish is $100 NO MATTER WHAT. SECOND DISH (for locals) is free. Doesn't matter if you select VOOM or not or HD or not. $149 for startup if you are not currently a Dish customer. $49 is refundable as credit. Basic monthly price is $34.95 and 1 year commitment. Current VOOM Dish will not work with current install equipment. They must replace current Dish. If you are DIY you can hook up yourself and call Dish to get programming and that will result in a cheaper startup fee. (Providing you have the equipment.)

cooldog said:
There have been a lot of complaints regarding the $100 fee that Dish charges to install a new sat dish at 61.5 for those who want to receive the 10 Voom channels that Dish is currently carrying there.

As a new customer, assuming that you want to sign up for a package that includes locals, and that you are in a DMA (market area) that has one or more locals on the satellite at 61.5, you can avoid this $100 fee.

You can find out if your DMA has locals at 61.5 here: ARRGGHH! Can't post a link - I'm too new! So, Google the following bunch of words, and follow the first link: has several clauses ALLOWING (not mandating) DBS companies to carry

The problem is that their ordering system has no way to give a new signup Voom, without charging them $100. Just no way at all. However, if as an existing customer you already have the dish at 61.5 for locals, *adding* Voom does not result in an installation fee.

Here's how to avoid the fee:

1) Do NOT sign up for Voom during the initial call. Just get the programming including the locals, and the hardware you need. Make sure that they are going to install the 61.5 antenna. Be sure that they are giving you all the current promotions. As far as I know, there really are no special "Voom" promotions --- what they offer is open to anybody.

2) AFTER your system is installed and activated, call back (or go online, I suppose) and add the Voom channels to your programming. It should be $5.00 per month. The HD pack is the thing with the promotion, and it should still be free for 6 months.

Hope this helps,
Paul
Dish now has a disclaimer stating there will be a fee for voomers.

same thing.....

all I am saying is there is plenty of threads and it boils down to one thing

-if you have a local on the wing, you avoid the $100 fee by asking for that channel
-if you don't, you have to pay the $100...plain and simple
-if all your locals are on the wing (148), its a grey area....you have to agree to locals for a year, but if you move the dish, then you can't see your locals

this has been going on long before May 1 :)

we don't need 100 threads of "how can I get a free dish" or "here's how to get a free dish"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)