How to back up/burn content from receiver

adam612

Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
My wife and I are close to getting an HD TV and I think we'll stick with Dish (we're moving soon, so we were thinking of switching to Verizon FIOS if it's available in the new neighborhood) but I see that the new HD receiver can only hold 30 hours of content.

Our current receiver is seriously filled with about 50 hours of kids shows alone. So we thought we'd get a DVD recorder so that when we run out of room on the new receiver we could transfer some of the shows to discs.

I've read in other places that it isn't possible to do this because of copyright issues.

At the risk of sounding stupid, what do people do if they want to be able to archive stuff from an HD receiver? The quality of the recording isn't a huge issue-- although VHS isn't acceptable-- I just want to be able to dump 20-30 hours of programming out somewhere... like movies we've been dragging our feet watching... and get to it later, without having to worry about going over the 30 hour limit.

Is this possible? THanks

There is no quick method to get content off of a Dish receiver unless you 1) Use a hack program (and I don't think they work well) or 2) use the "MobileDish" devices to copy shows onto a portable device. Otherwise, you would have to play the video from the DVR and record it on to tape. This would happen in real-time so an hour long show would take an hour to transfer.

Any other opinions/options?

// Scott A

If you have one of the new Vip622 units, starting in August you will be allowed to connect an external hard drive to off load your recordings. This will be great as you will only be limited by the size of the hard drive and as I understand it you will be able to use more than one. When ready to watch your recordings just plug the external drive in and watch.

Last edited:

Hmmm.

So I guess what I read was right.

If I got one of those pocket DIsh things, is it a quick transfer?

And could it be hooked directly to the TV to watch what's on there?

adam612,
If you stick with Dish, the external USB Hard Drive support "should" be up and running in a couple of weeks. A 500gb drive should store a minimum or 50 hrs of HD. But, if you leave for Verizon, never mind!

Is the vip622 the new HD receiver I would be upgrading to?

And are we talking just a regular big computer hard drive?

It would hook directly up to the receiver?

I could dump stuff to it quickly (not real time)?

And it would be full quality we'd want to watch something?

Thanks, this sounds pretty exciting!

yes any external HD will work. there will be a one time enabling fee, but after that yuo can do it all you want.

My wife and I are close to getting an HD TV and I think we'll stick with Dish (we're moving soon, so we were thinking of switching to Verizon FIOS if it's available in the new neighborhood) but I see that the new HD receiver can only hold 30 hours of content.

Our current receiver is seriously filled with about 50 hours of kids shows alone. So we thought we'd get a DVD recorder so that when we run out of room on the new receiver we could transfer some of the shows to discs.

I've read in other places that it isn't possible to do this because of copyright issues.

At the risk of sounding stupid, what do people do if they want to be able to archive stuff from an HD receiver? The quality of the recording isn't a huge issue-- although VHS isn't acceptable-- I just want to be able to dump 20-30 hours of programming out somewhere... like movies we've been dragging our feet watching... and get to it later, without having to worry about going over the 30 hour limit.

Is this possible? THanks

I would suggest a different way than the others. Just hook up a stand alone DVD Recorder (like you said) using Video (S-Video or Composite) and L/R audio. Make sure the output of the HD receiver is on 480i and burn away. I use a Sony RDR-HX900.
I've been doing that for a long time and the results are very acceptable.

I've been doing that for a long time and the results are very acceptable.
Let me second Ring Ding's emotion; I archive in this fashion and the quality is very high. The 622 delivers proper 16:9 output to my RCA DVD recorder via S-Video, unlike my Comcrap box.

Both options have different benefits; l like being able to play the DVDs in any DVD player, or view/rip them on a computer, yet I look forward to external storage, mainly so things don't get auto-deleted due to lack of space before I have a chance to burn them.

As a new VIP622 user (just got it today) ....
I use it in single mode only. Same way I used my 625 all the time.

Does the 622 output to all outputs simultaneously?

I currently have the 622 connected to my TV via HDMI with the digital audio from the 622 going to my AV receiver.

If I connect the s-video output from the 622 and the analog audio from the 622 into my DVD recorder..... will the DVD recorder then simply record whatever the 622 is "playing" at the time?

If I connect the s-video output from the 622 and the analog audio from the 622 into my DVD recorder..... will the DVD recorder then simply record whatever the 622 is "playing" at the time?
It will record whatever is playing on TV1. Obviously, if you wanted to work off TV2, you would have to go composite.

As most DVD recorders only accept S-video as their best input you should not expect any better than that. TV2 only has composite--not nearly as good even for SD channels.

You can watch 1080i/720p on TV1 HDMI/component while recording the same at 480i on the S-video on the 622. I've got hundreds of disks to prove it. This is a lot better than the 921 where you had to choose SD or HD output for video.

Too bad that:
there is no HDMI/DVI/component-video nor optical-sound recorder (that I have found),
TV2 does not have S-video (so you could watch another in HD while recording),
there is auto-labeling only on some composite recording, and
some recordings run over the SP limit of 2:05.
-Ken

I bought a Panasonic DVD recorder when I was moving from a DVR 942 to the ViP622. I was impressed with the quality of the recorded DVD even though the 942 didn't have an S-Video output to record from, only composite. One nice deature on the Panny was the ability to say "record 2h35m" and the Panny adjusted the bit rate to make the program fit in that space.

Regarding HDMI/Component HD recording, there is a card from Blackmagic Design: Intensity that allows you to capture non-HDCP material to your PC or Mac.

The question of dvd recorders comes up often. There's lot's of complication if you're really trying to get the best picture quality. Here's my take:

Some DVD Information:

DVDs can exist with two different aspect ratios (length/height). 4:3 and 16:9. 16:9 DVDs are called anamorphic. In both cases, the DVD is usually 720x480 (the shape of the pixel changes).

Most commercial widescreen DVDs are anamorphic. Movies can be wider then 16:9. In this case the DVD is recorded 16:9 and the picture is shrunk until the full width will fit. The top/bottom is no longer tall enough to fill your screen so the dead space is filled with black (called a letterbox). (Side bars are usually called a Pillar Box)

A widescreen move can also be recorded on a 4:3 DVD using the same method. The letterbox just gets (A LOT) bigger.

The problem here is that a portion of your 720x480 pixels are being wasted recording blackness. This costs the DVD resolution (picture quality). An anamorphic (16:9) DVD is wider then a 4:3 so is wasting fewer pixels recording black space.

Anamorphic DVD on a 4:3 TV:
So say you have an Anamorphic (16:9) DVD and a 4:3 TV. If nothing else happens the wide image would be horizontally scrunched onto you narrow TV and everyone would appear tall and skinny (hmmm, I like the sound of that).

Anamorphic DVDs have a hidden flag (indicator) to identify itself to the DVD Player. If a DVD is Anamorphic AND the "TV Type" is set to 4:3, the DVD Player will vertically scrunch the image to return the tall/skinny people back to their proper shape (creating a letterbox on the TV). But remember, in this case, the letterbox is not actually recorded on the DVD (wasting pixels), but is being created by the DVD Player.

Now, on to the 622:

If its hi-def source and the 622 is in 16:9 mode you will be getting an anamorphic image out of the TV1 video ports (and the TV2 ports if in “Single” mode). When you record this with your DVD Recorder (DVDR) you'll be recording an anamorphic DVD. This is the best resolution you can get.

Problem is most DVD recorders don't set the 16:9 flag so DVD players don't create a letterbox for 4:3 TVs. This doesn't matter if you’re only using a 16:9 TV since they don't require the vertical squish.

There are two solutions to this problem.

Solution #1:
If you're playback is mostly on a 4:3 TV (say making a Disc for a friend), you can have the 622 create the top/bottom letterbox. You do lose some resolution, but for a 4:3 TV you're not missing much.

Set the 622 Display Type to 4x3 #2 to have it create the letterbox.

Solution #2:
Leave the 622 in 16:9 mode and record the Anamorphic DVD. Now we need to set the anamorphic flag on the DVD so a regular DVD player will create the top/bottom letterbox. This can be done on a PC using a freeware program (ifoedit).

Get the Program and install it:
IfoEdit
http://download.videohelp.com/download/Ifoedit0971.zip

Do your initial recording to an RW (so you don't waste a disc).

Pop the Disc in a PC DVD Drive and use Windows Explorer to copy the video_ts folder (there’s no content protection on discs you create).

Use ifoedit edit to set the anamorphic flag (instructions):
AVS Forum
Finally, reburn the DVD with your favorite burning program.

-------------------------------------------------------

Appendix:

There are some interesting side effects when watching 4:3 material on a hi-def (16:9) channel....

4:3 isn't wide enough to fill 16:9 so there are bars on the sides. Also, with 4:3 #2 the 622 does the vertical squish to format the widescreen anamorphic for the 4:3 TV.

So, now you have side bars (from the broadcaster), and top/bottom bars from the 622. No reason to record all the bars. Use the 622 Zoom (#/format button) to remove the bars.

Problem is most DVD recorders don't set the 16:9 flag so DVD players don't create a letterbox for 4:3 TVs. This doesn't matter if you’re only using a 16:9 TV since they don't require the vertical squish.

Get the Program and install it:
IfoEdit
http://download.videohelp.com/download/Ifoedit0971.zip

Do your initial recording to an RW (so you don't waste a disc).

Pop the Disc in a PC DVD Drive and use Windows Explorer to copy the video_ts folder (there’s no content protection on discs you create).

Use ifoedit edit to set the anamorphic flag (instructions):
AVS Forum
Finally, reburn the DVD with your favorite burning program.

So, now you have side bars (from the broadcaster), and top/bottom bars from the 622. No reason to record all the bars. Use the 622 Zoom (#/format button) to remove the bars.
Dvd Patcher will do the same thing...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts