How to bring up older dish system

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rodneyn

Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
northern Indiana
I have older 10' Aluminum dish i last used in in 1995, I was one of the people lead to believe dish network was the guiding light for all. I now need help on resurecting old dish system. I have older Houston tracker 5 reciever w/o remote pretty worthless w/o remote.

My goal is to bring dish back on line to pick up wild feeds and free to air transmissions. From there i will need to decide if I will eliminate my dish network system.

I do remember Dish network was quite upset when I kept my C-band system intact in 1995. They wanted to take the reciever upon install of thier unit.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.......

:welcome to the group
you are in the right place read , ask questions :) we all have been there

like you said a analog receiver without remote is probably not much use ( unless it has movement control buttons on the front of the receiver) theres not a lot of analog left up there but by adding a DVB reveiver will open up a new world & hobby

they also make a dish controller that the dvb receiver can use to move the big dish ( if you prefer this method over the old analog receiver).

I have older 10' Aluminum dish i last used in in 1995, I was one of the people lead to believe dish network was the guiding light for all. I now need help on resurecting old dish system. I have older Houston tracker 5 reciever w/o remote pretty worthless w/o remote.

My goal is to bring dish back on line to pick up wild feeds and free to air transmissions. From there i will need to decide if I will eliminate my dish network system.

I do remember Dish network was quite upset when I kept my C-band system intact in 1995. They wanted to take the reciever upon install of thier unit.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.......

Well Rodney, tell us what kind of shape your dish is in. Does the actuator look ok? (assuming it has one) Is all your wiring still intact? If your actuator has a grease fitting you may want to put a couple shots of grease in. Is it just C band? You might want to pick up a C/Ku feedhorn and have both available for maximum feeds. I'm guessing you will probably want to keep at least a basic dish network subscription. FTA won't give you channels like CNN, ESPN, maybe the wife likes Lifetime movie network etc.

:welcomeTo SatGuys!

Your in the right place to get the big dish up and running again and give Dish Network the boot out the door for good!

First off I would try to see if your analog receiver still moves the dish and can receive the few analog transmissions out there. That will give you an indication what you will need to replace. An updated system with a 4DTV and a DVB receiver will give you all your looking for and then some.

Houston tracker V - Time to replace

Thanks for all your support, I am looking to invest into legacy II unit C-Ku band reciever.

I will pursue FTA signals and go from there. Yes I will post Photo of Dish as it was installed in the late '80s. It is quite massive with huge actuator arm, I hope it still works.

Thanks for all your support, I am looking to invest into legacy II unit C-Ku band reciever.

I will pursue FTA signals and go from there. Yes I will post Photo of Dish as it was installed in the late '80s. It is quite massive with huge actuator arm, I hope it still works.

Check on Ebay for the Legacy II for $27 -Buy It Now- with free shipping and they are new units!

Welcome and enjoy! :)

I should of mentioned how to find the item! :eek: The easiest way is to type "legacy c band" in the search bar on the Ebay home page. There are a couple of listings cheaper but the shipping cost make the units total cost higher. The higher cost ones are the same seller but are in his Ebay store. :)

Check on Ebay for the Legacy II for $27 -Buy It Now- with free shipping and they are new units!

Welcome and enjoy! :)

Legacy receiver very nice analog receiver, they where built by RLDrake Co.
they also have auto IF tuning, for analog feeds on c & ku.

I wonder if they have a baseband output that I read was good for those BLSA units?

I also have a 10 ft system and all works. I would like to change over to a ku band receiver. I need a method to drive the antenna motor without using the c band receiver. Is it possible?

A Gbox 3000 will take diseqc 1.2 commands from all FTA receivers that support diseqc 1.2 and move a large dish. This is nice because once you store the positions of the sats in your FTA receiver, simply selecting a new channel on a different sat with your FTA box will automatically drive the big dish to the correct sat. No need to use the remote that comes with the Gbox, just the one with your FTA box.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts