How to change HR54 from wireless to wired connection

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cpd5215

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 20, 2016
Columbus, Ohio
I would like to switch the connection from wireless to wired if possible for my setup on my HR54.

I recently moved and brought my DTV equipment from my old house to new except for the dish. The tech came out and did the installation. I finally got around to looking at the install job and I see the HR54 is connected wirelessly. I run a system test and I get an error but I am connected to the internet. See pics. Also, I see the tech did not use the connected home adapter which I think is the DECA. From reading on these forums it appears techs maybe just go the WiFi route. I’d like to see if this is something I can do or if I need a truck roll.

Anyways here’s my setup. One line comes into basement and then connects in basement to the coax my home builder placed in the house. Then the line runs through the wall and comes out above fireplace behind the tv. I have an outlet there but no Ethernet. Also have a WVB there and 2 CK41’s are connected to the bridge via WiFi in two other rooms in the house. Router is in basement

Is there an easy way for me to handle converting from wireless to wired?

If you need more info, please ask.
694358f790b14a4ae6ed1276b11be034.jpg

0df576304f500132f1afd09860d58419.jpg

027107c5247f15763769ca0fa0aaa1af.jpg

e5944f3f0b08a5c60344bc5003b589a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know about necessarily "easy" ...

But since you can't move the HR54 itself to the vicinity of the router for a direct ethernet connection, you must find a way to run a new coax line from a 2x1 SWiM splitter placed on your main coax line from the dish to the location of the router.

Then from there you will be able to use the DECA you have there as a "Cinema Connection Kit (or "CCK") to bridge ethernet to coax and allow wired internet access to the HR54 over the satellite coax.

But again, your challenge is to run another coax line from someplace on your current satellite cable though any intervening walls to the location of the router.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Don't know about necessarily "easy" ...

But since you can't move the HR54 itself to the vicinity of the router for a direct ethernet connection, you must find a way to run a new coax line from a 2x1 SWiM splitter placed on your main coax line from the dish to the location of the router.

Then from there you will be able to use the DECA you have there as a "Cinema Connection Kit (or "CCK") to bridge ethernet to coax and allow wired internet access to the HR54 over the satellite coax.

But again, your challenge is to run another coax line from someplace on your current satellite cable though any intervening walls to the location of the router.

Well this may actually be easy because my basement isn't finished and the main coax line from the dish runs right above the router...lol So do I understand this correctly....Split the main coax line near the router, add the 2x1 SWM splitter like this one, DirecTV 2 Way SWM Green Splitter MSPLIT2R0-01 SWiM 2Way MRV Wholehome DVR New - Newegg.com, connect the main line to the red inputs and then connect a new coax from the other port on the splitter to the DECA?

Does this diagram show the connection method you describe?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 10.46.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 10.46.49 PM.png
    128.1 KB · Views: 268
Does this diagram show the connection method you describe?
Oh, sorry about the delay in responding ....

Got called away on other business for the rest of the day. ....

Yes that's exactly correct ....

Didn't know the satellite cable passed right over the router like that, so you're in luck then. ....

Oh, sorry about the delay in responding ....

Got called away on other business for the rest of the day. ....

Yes that's exactly correct ....

Didn't know the satellite cable passed right over the router like that, so you're in luck then. ....

Perfect. Wheres the quickest place I can get my hands on that 2 way splitter? Any local places that I might somehow be able to grab one, line an ATT store. Prob not but just wondering. ThAnks.

UPDATE
Never mind. I have to have DTV come out on another issue so I will just have them hook it up. Thx.

Last edited:
My question is why ?
If its right close to the router and your signal is great, whats the point ?

The connection has Nothing to do with your HD vs 4K reading on your TV, thats a bug they are working on.

I would be more concerned with the actual issue your having when they guy comes out.

My question is why ?
If its right close to the router and your signal is great, whats the point ?

The connection has Nothing to do with your HD vs 4K reading on your TV, thats a bug they are working on.

I would be more concerned with the actual issue your having when they guy comes out.

Is there some reason I get this error every time I run the system test. Is this also included in the bug?
5b009db47be045e9ab25253ef7da99c9.jpg

I think that it is anyway ....

Since the Genie reports you have excellent signal strength on the one hand, yet you're receiving that message on the other.

And others have reported erratic WiFi connection issues for the Genie One models since the recent firmware updates. But whatever the case it's just always better to use a wired connection whenever possible for these and other reasons.

In fact that's how my HR54 is wired with that same DECA adapter you have acting as a CCK as I don't bother with wireless. Although the internet speedtest results currently don't work either way, wired or wireless, due to the bug. So pay no attention to what it says right now. ....

Since the Genie reports you have excellent signal strength on the one hand, yet you're receiving that message on the other.

And others have reported erratic WiFi connection issues for the Genie One models since the recent firmware updates. But whatever the case it's just always better to use a wired connection whenever possible for these and other reasons.

In fact that's how my HR54 is wired with that same DECA adapter you have acting as a CCK as I don't bother with wireless. Although the internet speedtest results currently don't work either way, wired or wireless, due to the bug. So pay no attention to what it says right now. ....

Gotcha. Thanks. Wired is always better as we all know. I appreciate the input.

While wired is usually better, it also makes more things that need to be connected, cables, ports whatnot, therefore you have more items involved to have a bad connection, to cause issues with.

I like the wifi as my Theatre set up is across the room from my router.

All good. DTV tech just left. He was a hoot...Old school dude who worked for the old days DirecTV for many years. Was a very cool guy. Told me how things used to be...LOL Installed DECA device so now I am hardwired. Ran some tests and they failed on my TV and could immediately tell that the dish on the roof was not initially setup right. (my words). He went up on roof, did his thing. I was out there chatting with him and he was cussing up the initial installer. He said something along the lines of, "I bet some young kid half assed this job to get to the next one...". I told him it was indeed a very young new tech who was always looking at his watch like he was late for dinner or something... Tech just shook his head...Comical...Anyways I think the cabling and the dish were jacked up somehow....We really didn't talk that much about the issues up there...We talked about muscle cars and the "old days"...Everything is working like a charm... Thanks again for the help.

All good. DTV tech just left. He was a hoot...Old school dude who worked for the old days DirecTV for many years. Was a very cool guy. Told me how things used to be...LOL Installed DECA device so now I am hardwired. Ran some tests and they failed on my TV and could immediately tell that the dish on the roof was not initially setup right. (my words). He went up on roof, did his thing. I was out there chatting with him and he was cussing up the initial installer. He said something along the lines of, "I bet some young kid half assed this job to get to the next one...". I told him it was indeed a very young new tech who was always looking at his watch like he was late for dinner or something... Tech just shook his head...Comical...Anyways I think the cabling and the dish were jacked up somehow....We really didn't talk that much about the issues up there...We talked about muscle cars and the "old days"...Everything is working like a charm... Thanks again for the help.
Did he say what he found was bad besides the dish pointing ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)