how to correctly set up 722 for HD and Sd channels..??

rjousuf

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 6, 2004
My new 722 is hooked up to a hitachi 55inch plasma 55HDS69. currently geting 110, 119, 129 and 148 for international channels. I have the T100 with HD and south asian internationals. I can't get the HDTV settings to work same for all channels. I have the HDTV setup in the 722 menu to 1080i, and i can choose the screen size, 16x9, 4x3, or 4x3#2. SO when i choose 16x9 the hd channels comes full screen, but the regualr sd channels have bars all aroudn them, up down and on sides. When i choose 4x3 or 4x3 #2, i get hd channels with black bars on top and bottom but regular sd channels come in full screen. The Tv itself has setings like 16x9, 16x9 zoom, 4x3, 4x3 strecth etc. How do i choose the best settings, that will give me all channels, HD and SD in full screens and not half in one and half in other? Please let me know..
thanks

My new 722 is hooked up to a hitachi 55inch plasma 55HDS69. currently geting 110, 119, 129 and 148 for international channels. I have the T100 with HD and south asian internationals. I can't get the HDTV settings to work same for all channels. I have the HDTV setup in the 722 menu to 1080i, and i can choose the screen size, 16x9, 4x3, or 4x3#2. SO when i choose 16x9 the hd channels comes full screen, but the regualr sd channels have bars all aroudn them, up down and on sides. When i choose 4x3 or 4x3 #2, i get hd channels with black bars on top and bottom but regular sd channels come in full screen. The Tv itself has setings like 16x9, 16x9 zoom, 4x3, 4x3 strecth etc. How do i choose the best settings, that will give me all channels, HD and SD in full screens and not half in one and half in other? Please let me know..
thanks

No auto setting to do what you want. Stay 16x9 and stretch/zoom SD if you have to have full screen.

I may be misunderstanding what you're wanting, so if I'm off base, ignore me:p

First, make sure your TV is not set to any kind of zoom, etc. Just set it to "normal".

Go back and set up the receiver to match what kind of TV you have: (Menu-->6-->8). Since your TV is 16x9, make sure the aspect ratio in this setting is 16x9.

Now, tune to a channel you know is HD/16x9.

Press the "*" button on your Dish Network remote repeatedly until the format on screen reads, "Normal".

Now, tune to a channel you know is SD/4:3.

Press the "*" button on your Dish Network remote repeatedly until the format on screen reads, "Normal". There will be vertical black bars (pillar boxed) on the sides. If you keep toggling the "*" button you'll see that the SD can be treated differently (normal, stretch, partial zoom, zoom, gray bar). [EDIT: Re-reading your post, it sounds like you prefer SD to fill the screen. So in this case, select stretch, partial zoom, or zoom for SD.]

The receiver will remember what aspect ratio you chose for SD and HD even if they're different.

I prefer to obviously have HD set to "normal" as there's no cropping or stretching (as it would be unnecessary). And I also prefer to have SD set to "normal" since I prefer pillar boxed to any kind of stretching or zooming. If I had a set that was susceptible to burn-in, I'd choose "gray bars".

Some people like to have the HD channels remain "normal" (best resolution and all of the image is viewed), but they prefer the SD channels to be zoomed or cropped to better fill the screen (at the sacrifice of resolution or loss of some content). These receivers can be set to have separate settings for each type of channel by following the aforementioned procedure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)