how to fake dial tone?

iburnbud

Original poster
May 28, 2004
When the customer of a new Dnet install does not have phone service installed on the property, im finding an issue after taking upgrades on dual irds( ie 322 522 ).

After the firmware upgrade it will force a phone line test. It takes literally 5 seconds or so, and i believe it only checks for tone. I tried without avail to play a mp3 encoded dial tone to the ird's phone jack with no avail.

Can anyone offer information on how i can construct a home built apparatus to fake a dialtone to the ird, so the install can proceed in the above instance?

peace

It's not just the tone that it is listening for. There is probably a certain voltage level that it is seeking for through the line.

bcshields said:
That won't stop the monthly charge...

Why not buy a wireless phone extension?

its not about stopping the monthly charge, its about completing the install.

after the upgrade 322's and 522's reboot -- than cycle and get to a forced phone test screen. You cannot continue, even after a reset, untill the phone connection is verified.

Wireless phone extention -- good idea... however if they have no phone service in the first place, this would not be a solution.

any suggestions at all greatly apprieciated.

peace

mkm4 said:
It's not just the tone that it is listening for. There is probably a certain voltage level that it is seeking for through the line.

you may be right -- now that i have searched, theres a test unit that generates the dial tone -- 60-70 bucks.....

thanks for the tip.

peace

48V is the nominal voltage on POTS. The box isn't just listening for the audio of the dialtone. There has to be voltage to be grounded in order for the thing to even register it has gone off-hook.

cameron119 said:
48V is the nominal voltage on POTS. The box isn't just listening for the audio of the dialtone. There has to be voltage to be grounded in order for the thing to even register it has gone off-hook.

thank you.

yeah, it appears the unit i have found will simulate the real deal.

http://www.starkelectronic.com/lbtg400.htm

if links are forbidden -- mod please edit.

peace

it seams to me you guys are trying to fake the receiver into getting the ppvs off your receiver. i don't know if the above item will do it.

Nope it won't do it. It also will not work to spoof a 322 or 522 into thinking the phone line is hooked up to avoid the second tuner charges. (The unit actually has to dial in from time to time or tuner 2 goes dead.

Instead of spening $119 for a dial tone generator, go to Radio Shack and get a long phone cord for $4.99

korsjs said:
it seams to me you guys are trying to fake the receiver into getting the ppvs off your receiver. i don't know if the above item will do it.

hi,

just to clarify, this is an idea i had to try and help myself through the installation. (NOT to try and do whatever with PPV as some have suggested. - apparently you havent run into this situation) It "seams" some tickets i have been getting, the customer doesnt have a land based phone line installed. The 322's and 522's force the phone line check, or you cant even proceed after the upgrade.

is there a way to skip the phone line test after install?

as stated a long phone cord or wireless phone jack will not work, if theres no land based service available on the property.

im not trying to avoid any charges of any kind -- on the contrary, when they dont keep the phone connected they are assessed a 4.99 per month fee., im just trying to complete these installs so i can get paid.

peace

the customer doesnt have a land based phone line installed. The 322's and 522's force the phone line check, or you cant even proceed after the upgrade.

Call Dish and tell them the customer does not have a landline phone and they will enable the second tuner, however the customer will get charged a second tuner fee,

The 322 / 522 does not just need Dial Tone to activate the second tuner, it must dial in and talk to the server for it to work.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Call Dish and tell them the customer does not have a landline phone and they will enable the second tuner, however the customer will get charged a second tuner fee,

The 322 / 522 does not just need Dial Tone to activate the second tuner, it must dial in and talk to the server for it to work.

so -- when you say they will enable the second tuner -- do you mean that they will do something to help me complete the upgrade? if so how is this possible? they send a special hit to the box?

what happens is after the upgrade when i arrive at the forced phone line test -- i cannot proceed without the connection -- as in even after holding the power button on the ird down till it cycles, the screen stays there...

thanks

peace

The best way to take care of this problem is dont sell 322- 522 systems with DHA. If they dont have Phone sysem

I have not put a 322 or 522 in yet but i have always down loaded the receivers at my house. When i'm finally forced to sell DHA when thats there only option can i stilll down load the receivers before i got out and install them?

iburnbud said:
so -- when you say they will enable the second tuner -- do you mean that they will do something to help me complete the upgrade? if so how is this possible? they send a special hit to the box?

Theres a code thats added to the account that charges the customer $4.99 for no phone line connected, and lets the receiver go past the test screen. Same code thats added if the customer doesnt have a phone line connected after 30 days

I think reason you are not getting good answers, is because the folks don't realize that you cannot activate the 322 and 522 if they are not hooked up to the phone line. It is just not possible to do it without a dial tone.

I had a customer who had a three line phone system in his house. We could not get a dial tone, I took it to my house and hooked it up to my system and after it did the dial tone test. It was fine. Be sure to go to the nasa or 101 channel after the test, and turn off the receiver before you unplug it or it will lock up. There used to be an issue on this on the dishretailer site. but after they upgraded the site, I have not seen it listed.

I am shocked that this thread even exists. what he is asking is: how can I screw Dish into thinking I have a phone line when in fact I dont? OK here's my question: Where can I get some bootleg smart cards so I can view premiums and ppv for free?? There is no difference except the amt of money involved--hes trying to save money on phone costs and I'm trying to save money on entertainment costs.

mattyro, there is a big difference!

iburnbud is just trying to install a system for the customer. They are not intending to steal anything. The dial tone simulator will only allow them to install the equipment, it will not allow them to buy pay per views for free.

Since Scott himself has replied in this thread I think that this discussion is OK! So lighten up :)

This is legitimate question, as I know many installers who are seeking a solution to this issue. I have seen this question pop up at DishRetailer.COM a few times.

As long as it does not turn into a hacking or how do make my box think it uploaded its Pay Per View purchases its ok with me. :)

Just to add...

It also INCREASES the revenue stream to Dish... an extra $5 a month for each one that's NOT connected to a phone line.

x22 receivers have the smartcard "built in" so they're not "hacked" anyway.

Dish should be happy to enable these with a Phone line NOT connected... extra income for Dish keeps the costs down for the rest of us :)

ok- if u guys are ok with it. How does the fact that it is an installer rrather than a customer make a difference? If Dish requires a land line to confirm where the service is being used and possibly to actually download some info-- who cares who's doing the actual work?? Thats like hyaving an anthrax weapon installed in your car. When the feds come around you're gonna say "dont talk to me -I had it installed". Ya know what? It's yours--you're responsible!!///On a lighter note, just how good are we expecting SPORTSCENTERHD to be?? <:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)