how to get an unused dish in the recession...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

olliec420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Pensacola, FL
ok the recession has affected my area just like all the rest of you all. now all these properties where the business has closed down and are now for sale or lease or foreclosed, how would one go about getting the dishes off them. and i mean the commercial properties not houses, that have big directway or muzak or the like dishes unused on the top? who do you call the selling agent isnt going to know cause theyre going to think it will help it sell. but in all reality no matter what theyre going to replace it if a new company comes in, they prolly have a different service. they should all be on non-penetratng roof mounts so it should fairly easy to them any ideas or any one done it and have any success?

I have not. Usually the Leasing Agent says they can't let anyone up on the roof for insurance purposes.
There is a closed Off Track Betting place by me, they put up what look like brand new BUDs 2- 10' and 1 - 12' Samis I think. They were only open for about 1 year, what a waste. :(

damn that is a waste, i wonder if the leasing agent would let you sign something saying that the owner is ok and i waive all liabilities etc etc?

Better off waiting to see if some new owner comes along and reopens the building. Everybody has the lawyer-itis nowadays and if it feels like they are 'assuming' liability for ANYTHING, they are going to say no.

I have not. Usually the Leasing Agent says they can't let anyone up on the roof for insurance purposes.
There is a closed Off Track Betting place by me, they put up what look like brand new BUDs 2- 10' and 1 - 12' Samis I think. They were only open for about 1 year, what a waste. :(
Lak7,
Was the OTB company called Favorites? We have two of them here in New Jersey. I went to one with a friend and was admiring the dish set up and my friend said his son has a small Direct TV dish and would I want it. Thats how it started.

I'm Mike and I'm a FTAer.

who do you call the selling agent isnt going to know cause theyre going to think it will help it sell. but in all reality no matter what theyre going to replace it if a new company comes in, they prolly have a different service.

Here in St Louis you can go on the county's revenue website, enter the address, and find out who pays taxes on the building including their billing address. Google usually gets you a phone number.

If it's a LLC or fictitious name registered, I then go to Missouri's Secretary of State website and search the business name. I can usually get the principle's names and the business' address.

Then you inquire and hope to hear back!

Your literally going to have to get a truck with a ladder and go up there and just take it down in the middle of the day, and if anyone asks tell them you are from so and so company and where sent out to take it down.

I do ligitiment repos in commercial businesses all the time, and your just not going to get permission from anyone to remove anything.

The Landlord don't want you up there for liability purposes and due to the fact that they don't want you leaving holes in their roof, and the previous owner of the business is probably impossible to get ahold of or unlikely will let you just come and take it.

I had one last week that the owner of a small resturant wouldn't give me my (2) 211 HD receivers and Dish because they where still trying to decide after a month of being without service if they were going to pay their bill and restore their service.

I walked in there at 6pm when they where busy, and told the manager I was there to fix the satellite Dish. He let me right in the back room where I was able to remove my equipment, and was so busy didn't bother to supervise me.

I've had some success in finding commercial dishes after they were taken down by roofers installing a new roof. If they don't break the dish going down, you're fine.

Was the OTB company called Favorites?
Nope. OTBs up here are State run, usually inside another establishment ( Bar / Pub)
I'm sure the biggest reason I could no get access, is that there is no "inside" access to the roof, probably a 20' ladder would be needed.

You have to deal with basic human nature. Big dishes are usually considered "Junk" until someone shows an interest in them, then they suddenly become "valuable". Sometimes you can negotiate with the owner (if you can find them), sometimes not.

Nope. OTBs up here are State run, usually inside another establishment ( Bar / Pub)
I'm sure the biggest reason I could no get access, is that there is no "inside" access to the roof, probably a 20' ladder would be needed.
I just did a little research and the OTB in New Jersey, it is run by the state. But were high class here no OTB we have OTW off track wagering. I must admit they have a very nice setup. No matter where you stand or sit in the place you can see a large screen LCD TV with horse racing on it. If I have time this week I am going to take pictures of the satellite dishes that they use.

Here is the link check out the picture: Favorites at Toms River

Attachments

• always%20ask%20the%20homeowner%20first.gif
    always%20ask%20the%20homeowner%20first.gif
    47.1 KB · Views: 180
There is a closed Off Track Betting place by me...

There is a similiar business closed in my area too! I have been trying for about 3 years to save a 10' mesh BUD and a 4' offset at the closed joint. At the same place there are 4 "NASA" commercial dishes which I cannot afford, move or possibly use... or could I??? :D The smaller units are "dumpster ready" and I have been trying my best to get them even though my wife says to give it up! :eek: I cannot get a green light to remove these things from anyone! :rant: The track has a new location nearby and the corporate office is down south. The locals say it is up to the corporate office and the corporates say it is up to the local office and I am stuck because no one wants to give the okay! :rolleyes:

My recent experience tells me that owners have no interest in allowing anyone to have access to dishes on commercial buildings. I noticed a shut-down sport's bar with about 9 dishes on it recently. A couple of weeks ago, a demolition company put up a chain link fence around the building and posted a big sign with their name and telephone number on it. I called to ask about the dishes and was told that they salvage those before demolition (after I said I would be glad to sign a waiver and climb up to take them down). I was also told that the interior had already been gutted and there were no receivers or electronics inside. When I drove by last week, the building was a pile of rubble and I could see a couple of mangled dishes in the debris. I called again and talked to the same person who said, "unfortunately, we couldn't save any of the dishes". I imagine that they didn't want to take the time or hassle with any special provisions on my behalf. There was a fleet of independent haulers lined up ready to take everything to the landfill. One large dish was still standing, but they were providing no access to it. Here are the sad before and after pictures.

Attachments

• 1-Before_12-01-2009.JPG
    1-Before_12-01-2009.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 2-After_12-11-2009.JPG
    2-After_12-11-2009.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 183
Yeah, they don't salvage anything. They just don't want to be bothered with letting someone get them who may actually have a use for them. Next time, try a little bribery. That would probably do the trick...

Yeah, they don't salvage anything. They just don't want to be bothered with letting someone get them who may actually have a use for them. Next time, try a little bribery. That would probably do the trick...

For all those dishes, I would have given the crew at least $100 just to take them down and give them to me. The Ku Band dishes must be worth at least $300 to $400 with the LNB's brand new.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts