How to get around not having a EHD.

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
I have a replacement hopper coming Tuesday. Problem is, I have probably 200 hours of unwatched shows.

Now....I could go out and spend $60 on a EHD. Thing is, I have no use for an external hard drive, and I don't want to waste $60 right now, as money is a little tight.

So I have considered the following....

1. Sweet-talking Dish into allowing a longer return period on the bad hopper in order to get everything watched.
2. Swapping the internal hard drives.

Anyone else have a better idea?

You would not want to swap the hard drives. It voids the warranty and Dish would charge you big bucks. Also, hard drive failures account for a lot of the receiver issues so you might be moving the problem in your current unit to the replacemetn.

An external hard drive is the only workable solution I see. Maybe you could borrow one from someone or from a computer shop for the time it will take to move programs off the original Hopper and on to the replacement.

I second the borrow from a friend. Are you anywhere near Northern VA?

I shelled out $60 to "rent" one from Walmart. At least it's not as bad as people who buy a big-screen TV just to "rent" it for the superbowl.

Wow, thought it might be slow, but not THIS slow (EHD).

I bought a EHD today to transfer stuff off a dying hopper to a new one.

I had roughly 175GB of things to transfer to an external hard drive.

20 minutes in, there is still 6 hours and 11 minutes left to go! :eek:

I feel sorry for those who had to do this with a full hard drive!:D

Check on it now and then to make sure it hasn't failed and stopped transferring.

If you are seriously saying that you are going to return this external drive to the store after using to watch your shows...you really should be ashamed of yourself. That's just not right; and don't give me a "money is tight" excuse when your signature obviously demonstrates that you have enough money to cover a hard drive.

I have 2 of these, one for each Hopper and they work fine, would work better if Dish enabled the Sata in/out port. You still need a hard drive for storage.

Not buying it. There would be no discernible difference in performance. People look at SATA specs. Sadly, that does not equate to eSATA performance. And eSATA never reached it's potential, while USB 2 & 3 are doing just fine, thank you. Got to look at the system as a whole.

eSATA will be more relevant when SSDs take off.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Perhaps... Even USB 3.0 had a slow takeoff. If I had eSATA ports on the front of my desktop I would use it. I have USB 3.0 ports instead.

Will they even take an open box USB drive back? I know that they have some restrictions on opened electronic items. Personally, I would just keep it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)