Status
Please reply by conversation.

NightRyder

1978 Y88 T/A 6.6 4 spd 1978-2020 RIP
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
NW Oregon
In an effort to head off the inevitable "where's my upgrade posts", here are some facts about how Dish rolls out software upgrades.

1. Dish rolls out upgrades in "phases" by receiver serial number. The first 2 phases include a limited number of receivers so if a serious problem is found the roll out can be stopped and the effected base of receivers will be relatively small. If all goes well with the first 2 phases, the roll out will proceed to phase 3 "wide release". Once a roll out goes wide the software update should be available to all 811 receiver owners. Note: It can take up to 10 days for a software release to go wide from the initial phase 1 date.

2. Just because you were one of the first to receive an update during the last release doesn't guarantee you will be first this time. Dish likes to mix things up once and a while. :)

3. There is no way for you to force your receiver to upgrade before it's designated serial number is in the stream. Calls to Dish will not get you the software earlier.

4. Make sure you have your receiver set to "Update Without My Permission" in the receiver setup (refer to your manual). Also make sure you power your receiver off via the remote every night.

Sorry if I've forgotten anything obvious but I've been off on vacation for the past week and things are still a little hazy ;). If anyone thinks of something I left out please add.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Note: It can take up to 10 days for a software release to go wide from the initial phase 1 date.
Your awesome...This is great information for newbies. Please let it be known, that although rare, I have seen an occasional rollout take up to 4 weeks to go to phase 3 also known as "Widespread"...This happened on the 3900 and on the 301. 811 updates usually go widespread within 2 weeks.

Jason

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts