How to get Dish service in Mexico?

bigmutt

Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
I've been reading all these posts about audits and phone lines and am wondering if anyone out there knows of a relatively hassle-free (but costly, I imagine) way to get U.S. DishNetwork programming in a Mexican home.

I don't want to steal anything, cheat anyone, or avoid any legitimate fees; all I want is to get my U.S. programming and pay DishNetwork my 60 or 70 bucks a month for it.

I have a legitimate U.S. home address but my renters there have their own phone service in their name, and currently have Cox Cable TV service; no DishNetwork service. My credit card monthly bills go to that address, however.

Can I contract for a DishNetwork installation there and take the equipment to Mexico & set it up there? Or if I can't take the equipment, I'm willing to buy a receiver or two on ebay and use those.

Please give me some suggestions; the Sky TV sat service I get in Mexico is totally inadequate (HBO programming is one year old, and I get zero U.S. network programming) and costs $65 per month.

Thanks.

bigmutt said:
I don't want to steal anything, cheat anyone, or avoid any legitimate fees; all I want is to get my U.S. programming and pay DishNetwork my 60 or 70 bucks a month for it.

There is no way to legally receive US satellite programming in Mexico. period.

Legal? I only said I don't want to STEAL anything.

JPointerWI said:
There is no way to legally receive US satellite programming in Mexico. period.
Not legal according to which country's laws? U.S. or Mexico? The mexican authorities certainly don't care if I pick up signals from U.S. satellites, and Dish Network shouldn't care as long as I am paying them for the service.
The only thing I can think of is that Dish Network wouldn't want me taking their equipment out of the country, and so like I said, I'm willing to use my own purchased equipment.

There are many, many Americans in Mexico doing this, since they spend part of their time at their condo or whatever. I just don't know any of them personally enough to ask HOW they're doing it.
That's why I'm posting this and asking all of you experts out there.

Thanks.

You're best bet is to call and sign up for whatever service you want, then buy a receiver off ebay. Use your US address when you sign up. You can tell them you dont want a monthly bill sent too. Just do the online billing or credit card autopay.

Make sure you can actually see the Dish sats where you are. If you are too far south, you won't be able to get them. You could buy 2800 off ebay for cheap and use it to try and tune into the satellites before you subscribe. I'm betting you are going to need at least a 3' dish for each satellite location, depending how far south you are.

Hope this helps. :)

I have seen several home in Mexico with DirectTV
receiver audits would seem to make dish a bad choice for use in Mexico unless you have a RV waiver for the receiver you plan to use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)