How to get Distants from NPS

Like Robert, I am still getting DNS from NY plus I am getting the locals I just signed up for.

The funny thing is that my "vacation home address" would not qualify for DNS in the first place......

Maybe my "move" in the 11th hour confused their automated, evil, DNS death bot?

The website just said I didn't qualify for any of them.

I think I should automatically qualify for at least FOX, CBS, and NBC since my locals are O&O.

The website went through for me but amount billed was $0.0 so I called the number and they said would send in waiver request and to wait the usual 60 days to find out.

Same thing happened to me BUT I called and they told me that I was OK and I qualified for all channels, that I should get them within 24 hours. Also I got an email asking me for my smart card number. We will see..

BTW I am still getting NY and LA distants.

HUH??? What does O&O have to do with being able to qualify for SD distants??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I thought that the law stated that you'd automatically qualify for SD and HD distants if your local station was O&O.

I could be wrong on this and will admit if I am if proven this isn't the case. :)

I thought that the law stated that you'd automatically qualify for SD and HD distants if your local station was O&O.

I could be wrong on this and will admit if I am if proven this isn't the case. :)

O&O has no effect on getting SD distants. O&O comes into play for CBS HD distant.

No Joy--Not in NPS Database

Just spent an hour and half with NPS and Dish and then NPS again. The deal is, NPS is working off of an account database Dish provided as a one-time dump. NPS tries to access that database using your Dish account phone number. Then, assuming you show up in the database, NPS loads your address info from the database into their prediction model in order to qualify you. Well, in my case, and apparently others, my phone number did not make it into the provided database, so NPS cannot go any further. They had me contact Dish (which took considerable time and progression from India up the supervisor chain), but Dish said they had no way to transfer any more data to NPS (I am guessing it had to have been done before 1 Dec to keep the judge happy). So back to NPS and they were cordial, but unable to go forward. I even offered to fax copies of waiver letters and Dish statements showing the distant networks I have been receiving. All to no avail. Full stop!!

I did confirm that the NPS price is per account and not per receiver.

I am starting to think Dish only included folks in the database that cannot get LiLs from Dish.

I called the number at the beginning of this thread and got the automated system. For some reason it would not take my credit card. Called back and got a gentleman who put me on hold & could not find my phone number in their system. I called back again and got a very helpful lady. She told me I qualified for the ABC feeds which is accurate as it is the only network that my DMA is short. The charge is $2.50/month. The two ABC feeds were activated within 15 minutes. Both channels now show up on my three receivers. The San Francisco feed is not the greatest quality and the Atlanta channel has no video or audio yet.

The replies have slowed a bit, so I'm stepping in with some questions. When I calls and give the phone number that Dish has for me, then in theory that should be all it takes. Am I understanding this correctly? If I have a white area service address and a different billing address on file with Dish, then NPS should be able to get that info, right? My Dish service address was in a white area when I had DNS turned on 3 or 4 years ago, so I should still qualify, right?

I'm just trying to get all of my ducks in a row before I try to contact NPS.

Yes, NPS appears to be going by the phone number associated with your Dishnetwork account and nothing more. Whatever info Dish passed along for qualifying seems to be tied up in the phone number.

Just spent an hour and half with NPS and Dish and then NPS again. The deal is, NPS is working off of an account database Dish provided as a one-time dump. NPS tries to access that database using your Dish account phone number. Then, assuming you show up in the database, NPS loads your address info from the database into their prediction model in order to qualify you. Well, in my case, and apparently others, my phone number did not make it into the provided database, so NPS cannot go any further. They had me contact Dish (which took considerable time and progression from India up the supervisor chain), but Dish said they had no way to transfer any more data to NPS (I am guessing it had to have been done before 1 Dec to keep the judge happy). So back to NPS and they were cordial, but unable to go forward. I even offered to fax copies of waiver letters and Dish statements showing the distant networks I have been receiving. All to no avail. Full stop!!

I did confirm that the NPS price is per account and not per receiver.

I am starting to think Dish only included folks in the database that cannot get LiLs from Dish.

I think your assessment is exactly correct Bob. It's exactly what I've experienced. She was very patient and tried every phone number I could think of but none worked, including the one Dish confirmed was currently tied to my account.

BTW, has anyone else been PM'd by a reporter from the Boston Globe? I just spent about 15 minutes on the phone with a very nice lady who was doing a piece on this.

I think your assessment is exactly correct Bob. It's exactly what I've experienced. She was very patient and tried every phone number I could think of but none worked, including the one Dish confirmed was currently tied to my account.

BTW, has anyone else been PM'd by a reporter from the Boston Globe? I just spent about 15 minutes on the phone with a very nice lady who was doing a piece on this.

Although there certainly can be some mistakes, there are reports here of people getting the distants who do get LIL.

So my burning question is, how safe does everyone think getting locals from NPS will be? Like, should I worry about losing my channels again tomorrow if I sign up with them today? I'm in West Lafayette, IN where no local feeds come in.

So my burning question is, how safe does everyone think getting locals from NPS will be? Like, should I worry about losing my channels again tomorrow if I sign up with them today? I'm in West Lafayette, IN where no local feeds come in.

What have you got to loose?

I just received a call from the gentleman at NPS that could not locate my phone number. He said he had noticed that I had called back and had ordered the ABC networks. He apologized and said that he had searched the wrong database. Maybe that has happened to some of you also. Anyway, the people at this organization seem to be first class if my experiences are typical. Also, many thanks Scott for doing your typical incredible job in getting all of this information to us virtually as it happens!

Got this "
We're Sorry...
If you have confirmed the above phone number and zip code are correct, then at this time, you do not qualify to receive Distant Networks from AllAmericanDirect.com. Please check back at a later date.
If the Phone Number and/or Zip code was mistyped, then hit the back button to try again
"
on one attempt and got "
You will need to request a waiver. Please send an email to waiverrequest@mydistantnetworks.com. This waiver process could take up to 30 - 60 days. PLEASE know that this process is mandated by federal regulations, and AllAmericanDirect.com has to follow all regulations. On this request, please provide your name, complete address, including zip code, phone # and email address."

Yes but no sound on one Atlanta station and no sound or picture on the other Atlanta sation

San Francisco is working fine

:( Those are the two Atlanta stations I qualified for.

The NBC and FOX SF stations look good, but they seem to have analog grain.

The NPS people said they would submit waivers for me for ABC and CBS (which have a crappy repeater tower that seems to date from the 19th century - I think that the only purpose of the tower is to keep people from qualifying for distants :) - fortunately I was grandfathered until today).

Overall, very good service at the phone number at the top of the thread, no wait for a phone rep (probably because only Forum readers know about it), no voice mail prompts, phone rep was knowledgeable about all aspects of distants and satellite service. :up

PS I tried the web site and had the same result as someone else, it said "qualified", yet listed no channels and a total of $0.00 . Calling the phone number seems to be the way to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)