How to get good blind scan results on an Ultra or Premium Plus

Jullius

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
La Crosse, WI
I own an AZbox Ultra and can't guarantee the same results on the Premium Plus model, but from what I have heard, I think this would be true for the Premium Plus owners as well...

I am using a standard LNB and have been experimenting with the blind scan setup menu.

First delete all the stored transponders on the satellite you're going to scan. You could keep the active ones, but what you don't want is a lot of non-active ones in the list. The AZbox won't store a new transponder's info if it is close in frequency to an existing one in your list.

Next set the maximum scan frequency to 12200 (true if your using a standard LNB) set the step rate to 4000 KHz (I have been testing my AZbox against my Fortec Dynamic using 4000KHz steps, I notice it does a better job at this level) Change the minimum SR to 3000 instead of 1000. I think this is the key. (this will dramatically reduce the time spent scanning by about half!! :))

I can now blind scan on the Ultra in about 10-12 mins per satellite instead of 20+ mins.

Now it is true I might be missing some really low SR feeds, but I was amazed at how much faster it was.

One more thing I learned. Don't believe the number of channels and radio stations it says it finds after it is done blind scanning. Those numbers maybe low. I checked the channel list for the real number. I thought it was missing some channels until I noticed that.

I'm not saying the Ultra's blind scan is perfect, but it IS better if you delete excess stored transponders and tweek the scan settings.

I have been scanning with the minimum SR set to 2000 now and I'm still getting good (better) scan times of about 12-14mins. It really depends on the satellite. I've been testing 97W and 101W the most tonight. 105W for some reason took longer like 17min. But this has been a big improvement over the 20-23mins I was getting before.

It is probably a combination of changing the minimum SR and deleting all the excess transponders. My 20-23 min scans before already included setting the minimum freq to 12200MHz.

:upJulius, you are a prince among men. You are a wonderful human being and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Boy, did that help a whole bunch or what!?!?!?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts