How to get kbs world for free...?

mfshop

Original poster
Jul 18, 2004
Hi everyone. Thinking about switching to Dish, but the clincher would be if I could get KBS world for free! Tried searching the threads, but it's not clear on which 'bird' it's broadcast unencrypted, and if they'll be moving the channel (international?) anytime soon... Any ideas on what dish I need & how to get it?

I would most likely be interested in the top 100/locals/HD essentials package & one 722 receiver, zip code is 84780. I wouldn't mind subscribing to an international package as well, IF I could cancel it after one month without a bunch of fees! Thanks in advance:D

Hi everyone. Thinking about switching to Dish, but the clincher would be if I could get KBS world for free! Tried searching the threads, but it's not clear on which 'bird' it's broadcast unencrypted, and if they'll be moving the channel (international?) anytime soon... Any ideas on what dish I need & how to get it?

I would most likely be interested in the top 100/locals/HD essentials package & one 722 receiver, zip code is 84780. I wouldn't mind subscribing to an international package as well, IF I could cancel it after one month without a bunch of fees! Thanks in advance:D

KBS World does come 'free', as part of AT100 package. I am on the east coast, and when I upgraded to Dish HD, KBS World was up and running on channel 652 when the 61.5 dish was installed. The PQ for KBS World is the weak point, as it looks a bit blurred. Personally, I think it's great that E* throws in KBS World as part of AT100. If you wanted MBC or SBS on D*, the monthly cost would be $26.99 (last I checked).

I would not recommend subscribing to the Korean International program. I haven't previously subscribed to it, but to me it looks like filler channels without any quality programs.

Why are there so many Karaoke and similar programs on KBS World? Nearly every time I turn it on, there is some sort of singing contest, or traditional singing feature, etc. etc. I understand that Koreans may very well enjoy it, but do they have anything else on TV? :D

Why are there so many Karaoke and similar programs on KBS World? Nearly every time I turn it on, there is some sort of singing contest, or traditional singing feature, etc. etc. I understand that Koreans may very well enjoy it, but do they have anything else on TV? :D

If you browse through the weekly listings, you will see an assortment of programming. They have anything from the following:

news broadcasts
talk shows
comedy skits
children's shows
educational programs
health-related programs
dramas and sitcoms

For a weekly glance at programming, you can refer to KBS WORLD

Are they regularly updating their web schedule again? The last time I looked at it, it seemed like it was a few weeks out of date.
Still, I appreciate the link. I will have to remember to try to set some other programs to record. FWIW, I did enjoy one of the soaps they had on a while back. Only saw a few episodes, but the subtitles made it easy enough to follow along.

Now that there is a separate KBS America site KBS America - it looks like they are putting a lot more effort into this channel. Also, while the prices do seem a bit high IMO, I think the DVD store, with most of their drama series available as full DVD sets (even Director's Cut in some cases) is a great idea, and gives the US fans a real resource to obtain this content, which is probably hard to come by in North America, unless one lives near a large city with a "Koreatown" type area.

There is a specific Dish Network schedule for KBS World / KBS America here:
KBS America

Last edited:
Are they regularly updating their web schedule again? The last time I looked at it, it seemed like it was a few weeks out of date.
Still, I appreciate the link. I will have to remember to try to set some other programs to record. FWIW, I did enjoy one of the soaps they had on a while back. Only saw a few episodes, but the subtitles made it easy enough to follow along.

Now that there is a separate KBS America site KBS America - it looks like they are putting a lot more effort into this channel. Also, while the prices do seem a bit high IMO, I think the DVD store, with most of their drama series available as full DVD sets (even Director's Cut in some cases) is a great idea, and gives the US fans a real resource to obtain this content, which is probably hard to come by in North America, unless one lives near a large city with a "Koreatown" type area.

There is a specific Dish Network schedule for KBS World / KBS America here:
KBS America

I typically use the DVR menu to browse through the week to see if there are any decent programs to watch.

I actually tried to link you to the KBS America site, but for some reason, the site was down that night. All of the dramas (soap operas if you will) are actually available to view from the KBS website, but there are no subtitles. Speaking of subtitles, they do a good job of translating most of the content. But sometimes, they would either skip an entire sentence or translate the phrase totally out of context. It's those kind of moments that the non-Korean speaking viewers would be missing some key information. Oh well.

There are some dramas I enjoyed watching, such as 'I am Sam'. Most Korean dramas start off with a bang, but tend to lose steam midway. Because of this, half of an episode would contain flashbacks to previous scenes (which I detest). Such is the case for 'Cruel Love'. I just started watching 'Hong Gildong' and that looks pretty good. The one sitcom I'm really enjoying is 'Likeable or Not'. The storyline keeps getting better. Another decent sitcom is 'Unstoppable Wedding'. Once in awhile, they broadcast a classic drama series from the past. I saw that they broadcasted 'Full House' and 'I'm Sorry I Love You' recently.

There are DVD sets also available to purchase from Yesasia.com. I used to purchase some DVDs from that site. But recently, I just download the videos, albeit no subtitles.

KBS World does come 'free', as part of AT100 package. I am on the east coast, and when I upgraded to Dish HD, KBS World was up and running on channel 652 when the 61.5 dish was installed. The PQ for KBS World is the weak point, as it looks a bit blurred. Personally, I think it's great that E* throws in KBS World as part of AT100. If you wanted MBC or SBS on D*, the monthly cost would be $26.99 (last I checked).

I would not recommend subscribing to the Korean International program. I haven't previously subscribed to it, but to me it looks like filler channels without any quality programs.

Who cares about the blurr picture quality!! If you go to a korean video store and pay $1.25--$2.50 just to rent the older series, the picture quality look even worse. Thanks for DVD-R provided to the stores, the picture looks way better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts