Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
When I signed up for DTV's Select package in November I was looking forward to getting MHz Worldview on channel 2183 as I used to be able to pick it up OTA as a sub-channel from KRWG in New Mexico. However, in my current location it would take extreme measures. I now see that it requires "special equipment" and I even ran across a contradictory statement (somewhere) that although it is part of the Select package, DTV will not activate 2183 unless one subscribes to a full International Pack.
Do any members have any further information on how to get this channel?

When I signed up for DTV's Select package in November I was looking forward to getting MHz Worldview on channel 2183 as I used to be able to pick it up OTA as a sub-channel from KRWG in New Mexico. However, in my current location it would take extreme measures. I now see that it requires "special equipment" and I even ran across a contradictory statement (somewhere) that although it is part of the Select package, DTV will not activate 2183 unless one subscribes to a full International Pack.
Do any members have any further information on how to get this channel?
Normal channels on D* don't go that high.
Occasionally you'll find channels on from time to time up there and higher, but not everyday channels are up there that I know of.

You have to have a international dish @ the 95 sat location. Directv normal location is 99, 101, 103 110, 119. Most slimline dishes only get 99,101, 103

However they have a slimline 5 dish that gets the 110 amd 119 sats. The 119 has some spanish and international channels they include in basic packages.

Reactions: Jimbo
Mhz Worldview is on the 95 sat, so like Jamie1 said you would need an additional dish to get it. There is talk that the channels on 95 will get moved to 99 or 103 at some point, but nothing in the near future is planned that I have heard about.

And remember if you choose to go with the 95W dish, but may want, or continue to receive 4K service in the future.

DIRECTV must either return later to install a rather cumbersome and ugly setup of a new six outlet LNB on the Slimline dish connected by six coax runs to an ext. DSWM30 multiswitch. Along with a special diplexer to combine the 95W dish in with one of the six coax lines to the multiswitch as well.

Or you're on your own to get these parts and install them yourself, as they're not carried by DIRECTV home installers yet, except for possibly the DSWM30 multiswitch in some cases.

Oh well, it sounds like way too much trouble and unsightliness for one SD channel. Maybe they will move MHz Worldview over to one of the main satellites one day. I see that 95 sat is getting past it's prime and it is possible they will not justify the expense of sending another one to that orbit.

I had the WorldDirect dish for 95 installed years ago in hope that Sky News might make it’s way onto DirecTV someday. In addition to MHz Worldview there are three other free channels on 95. Korean channel Arirang TV on 2095, Chinese channel CGTN on 2053 and whatever Iglesia Ni Cristo is on 2068.

I got the dish installed for free by saying I wanted to subscribe to the Filipino package or something and after the tech finished the installation and asked me which International Package I wanted to order I just told him I would take care of it myself at a later date. My main dish is a Slimline 5, the addition of the second dish really didn’t add anything other than an extra line of coax running down the side of the house. I don't have 4K though.

I had the WorldDirect dish for 95 installed years ago in hope that Sky News might make it’s way onto DirecTV someday. In addition to MHz Worldview there are three other free channels on 95. Korean channel Arirang TV on 2095, Chinese channel CGTN on 2053 and whatever Iglesia Ni Cristo is on 2068.

I got the dish installed for free by saying I wanted to subscribe to the Filipino package or something and after the tech finished the installation and asked me which International Package I wanted to order I just told him I would take care of it myself at a later date. My main dish is a Slimline 5, the addition of the second dish really didn’t add anything other than an extra line of coax running down the side of the house. I don't have 4K though.
To note:

Arirang TV (2095) is actually at 99W, on the T14 satellite tp. 18.

In A3 SD 16:9 anamorphic format (or "Squish-o-Vision").

Yuck ...

Thanks, I didn't realize that. Arirang wasn't one the the channels that I received initially, I think I noticed it maybe a year or two ago. Since it was in the 2000s and an international channel I assumed it was on the 95 degree satellite.

Chs. 447 Once (119), 448 Enlace (119), 461 HITN (119), 2053 CGTN (95), 2068 INCTV (95), 2095 Arirang (99), 2183 MHZ Worldview (95), and CGTN 2119 (119) are all Public Interest channels are are "out of place" in the lineup. As you can see it is much easier to get the 119 than the 95, but others have said how to do it: Sign up for the cheapest international package and they will install the second dish for the 95. Then cancel the package later and tell them you will take care of the dish. It will cost you whatever the install is, the programming for a partial month, and the inability to add 4K. BTW. I am pretty sure that 2053 and 2119 are just the same thing. Public Interest channels are required space on the satellite for non-profit broadcasters. Each satellite needs the space reserved, so that's why MHz WV is "hidden" on the 95 because something has to be.

Status
Please reply by conversation.